A few other easy questions!

  • castillo.alex2008
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 4:54 PM
      Hi. When the time comes you have to do something is when you realize
      that you don´t know many things. Just a few more easy questions people
      (at list for tonight).

      1. I´ll be needing boiling chips, I´ve heard marbles are not so good,
      ´cause they don´t have enough surface area (and they rattle too much).
      Will it be ok using some raschig rings? (since I don´t have anything to
      break, lol).

      2. I know you need nutrients for your yeast, but say for a 20L wash
      what amount (not in grams, but in table or tea spoons, since I don´t
      have how to measure grams at home). All at once or over two days?

      3. For aereation will it be ok to swirl with a big spoon during a few
      minutes? the first two days?

      Thanks,

      Alex
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 5:17 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
        <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

        > Hi. When the time comes you have to do something is when you
        realize
        > that you don´t know many things.

        .......In which case it's time to do a little research, reading of
        back posts and generally acquiring and REMEMBERING stuff. Spoon
        feeding will larn ya nuthin'.

        Just a few more easy questions people
        > (at list for tonight).

        .......Refer above.

        > 1. I´ll be needing boiling chips, I´ve heard marbles are not so
        good,
        > ´cause they don´t have enough surface area (and they rattle too
        much).
        > Will it be ok using some raschig rings? (since I don´t have
        anything to
        > break, lol).

        ........Yes. But anything with angular surfaces and edges (broken
        porcelain or china crockery) is good, as lonk as it doesn't leach
        anything into a hot wash.

        > 2. I know you need nutrients for your yeast, but say for a 20L wash
        > what amount (not in grams, but in table or tea spoons, since I
        don´t
        > have how to measure grams at home).

        .........Figure 5 gms a heaped teaspoon.

        All at once or over two days?

        ........Jim answered this very thing recently. But I'm sure he'll be
        willing to do it again. ;))

        > 3. For aereation will it be ok to swirl with a big spoon during a
        few
        > minutes? the first two days?

        ........Works for me. But I do it only when I'm setting the wort.
        Once it's fermenting, I don't open the fermenter again because of the
        risk of infection. I'm in the Tropics, but in your area
        contamination may not be such a problem.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 4 5:23 PM
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
          <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

          Hi Alex,

          Again, all these questions are covered in the Information base.

          1. See Boiling chips... And no, raschig rings are too expensive -
          use broken up pottery pieces.

          2. See Yeast / Nutrients..... Usually 3 tablespoons for a 5 gallon
          wash / mash are sufficient. You can add all at once, or some like to
          add 2 TBS. at beginning, then 1 TBS. 1/2 way trough.

          3. See Aeration / Fermentation... Most people use an aquarium pump
          and stone for 2 - 3 hours after pitching yeast. Or vigorous stirring
          for about 20 minutes every couple of hours during the first day works
          fine - if you arm can hold out. This adds additional oxygen during
          the aerobic (lag) phase of yeast propagation and growth. See Yeast
          Propagation....

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.