Re: Mason - Could I get the rest of the info for your recipe please?

  • gusterminator
    Message 1 of 31 , May 2, 2008
      I wend down and bought 7 pounds of Flaked Rye, 2 pounds of Flaked
      Barley, I can't find 1 pound of Malt any where. Is Diastatic Malt the
      only alternative?

      Gus
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 18, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
        <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mason
        >
        > I wonder if you completed this experiment so you can let us know how
        > many pounds of DME to use per how many liters of water, in summary
        > the whole procedure and the results you had. In the other hand, I´ve
        > had some hard time trying to strain the maize fermented on the
        > grains, mainly because I couldn´t find the paint strainer you talked
        > about. I found this site, but I don´t know exactly what do I need.
        > Could you take a look at it and let me know: (my fermenter is a 32
        > liters plastic bucket from Brewhaus)
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/57qgp7
        >
        > In the other hand I´m thinking in using a combination of first the ss
        > strainer and later some other gadget to press the grain to get all
        > the possible amount of fermented juice, but I don´t know what device
        > to use. Will the grapes pressing do the trick?
        >
        > Finally I´ve seen many different kinds of DME (i.e. Pilsen, golden
        > light, sparkling amber, etc.) I wonder which will give a good profile
        > for a Scotch. Maybe Harry and Jim can give us some info about it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alex

        Hello Alex,
        Either one of those Sparging (5030/5032) should do the trick. As I
        may have mentioned, I got mine from Home Depot and I checked the
        local Ace Hardware today on the way home and they carried them also.
        On my first flaked grain mash I strained the mash through a NEW pair
        of my wifes Panty hose. Caught hell for it but they worked. You just
        have to be a little more careful than with the paint bags. Get too
        rough and they tear.
        As for the experiment. Well it never got off the ground. I decided
        to go all grain Malt instead with some added peat malt. So far so
        good with that. Just building up a sufficient amount of low wines for
        now. Sorry I cant be of more help on that one. I think the Pilsen
        would be a good choice though.

        Mason