Re: whisky years. Myth or reality?

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2008
      Hi Alex,
      When I used to drive heavy goods vehicles (38 ton all up weight
      in UK)I used to deliver new empty Black and White Whiskey labelled
      bottles to those distilleries and I used to see those bloody huge
      barrels stacked 2 high (you could park a medium size car inside each
      one) They used to be stacked outside and alongside those bonded ware
      houses (security was real tight to get in there as well) and at other
      times they would be rotated indoors. At the time I thought it was
      just being used up i.e. bottled real quick. But in retrospect they
      were rotating them warm inside temp in the ware house but bloody wind
      chilling bone bitingly cold Scottish wet weather outside. All I can
      say there was a hell've a lot of it in those barrels stacked outside
      and even more in those warehouses they were long, wide and huge
      When you were supplying to the world I suppose you had to think big
      Geoff

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
      <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Talking about aging I have wondered the following question since
      some
      > time ago. We see in the bottles of many Scotch whiskies they´re
      12, 20
      > and even 50 years old, but are they? For example, was the 12 years
      > drink today put in an oak barrel back in 1996? it is hard to
      believe
      > specially due to the big demand of these products in the market.
      How

      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2008

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:
         All I can
        > say there was a hell've a lot of it in those barrels stacked outside
        > and even more in those warehouses they were long, wide and huge

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
        > castillo.alex2008@ wrote:
        > How
        > > big are their warehouses?

        You can judge how big they are by the annual export figures.  90% of all Scotch Whisky is exported.  Only 10% is kept for domestic consumption.  Last year's figures from a BBC report...

        'Record high' for whisky exports

        Close up of whisky being poured
        An industry body says export sales have reached a record high

        Exports of Scotch whisky reached record levels last year, according to figures from an industry body.

        The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) said the value of exports reached a new high of £2.8bn, earning £90 every second for the UK balance of trade.

        The value of exports to India rose by 36% to £33m, while exports to the European Union went up by 27%.

        The SWA said export volume was also up, with the equivalent of 1,135 million bottles of Scotch whisky exported.

        SWA chairman, Paul Walsh, said the performance "underscores just how important Scotch Whisky is to our economy."

        He added: "This is all the more impressive given the economic difficulties encountered in certain markets during the second half of 2007."

        Top 10 export markets in 2007 by value

        • USA £419.2m
        • Spain £307.5m
        • France £294.2m
        • Singapore £158.1m
        • South Korea £139.3m
        • Greece £103.5m
        • Germany £96.3m
        • South Africa £90.9m
        • Taiwan £81.8m
        • Portugal £48.3m

        The figures have been welcomed by the SNP.

        Angus Robertson MP, whose Moray constituency contains more than half of all malt whisky production, described it as "tremendous news".

        He added: "It is ironic that, while the rest of the world is boosting the industry, at home the UK Labour government is undermining the domestic sector by hiking tax rates on Scotland's premium product."

        The SWA figures are derived from HM Revenue and Customs data and are based on individual company declarations of the export value and volume of shipments.

        ps
        I note the USA is the largest Scotch market.  Are you guys getting tired of Bourbon?  :D

        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2008

          Na Harry,

          Its just that alot of the nouveau riche yuppie types around the US still believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are the "correct way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.

          However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin' anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's  :x:x.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim.   (from South of the Mason-Dixon Line.........)

          ___snip____

          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2008

            Sidenote:

            Im also sure if you look at the shipping figures for Diaka Vodka, them Yuppie types buy most of that crap too ROTF :):).

            Jim.

            Na Harry,

            Its just that alot of the nouveau riche yuppie types around the US still believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are the "correct way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.

            However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin' anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's  :x:x.

            World's Most Expensive Vodka

             Nandini, Delhi, INDIA
            Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT

            World's Most Expensive VodkaDiaka Vodka, is the world's most expensive vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but this is not what makes it most expensive. It's actually the filtration process of the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is made in Poland where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one carat in size, to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed clarity and smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder Spirits in USA.

            Look Familar :):):).

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim.

          • castillo.alex2008
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2008
              Well, after all your comments (which I appreciate) specially that of
              the person who actually saw the big barrels in Scotland and the figures
              offered by Harry I only have to say that I´m a believer. About what
              Jim says, aroun here we have the same case. Even when we (people from
              Dominican Republic, in the caribbean) have excellent rums (Barcelo,
              Brugal, which was recently bought by a british company, etc.) people
              tend to associate drinking whisky / ey, with high economic status.
              Many new rich people even have bought ridiculously high bottles of
              liquors, etc. As we have many guys who were born very poor, became
              baseball players in american´s big leagues, came back home, etc. In
              the other hand I´m surprised of the figures of Spain, country where I
              lived for about 3 years (mainly canary islands), since they drink
              mainly wine, beer and in the islands also rum.

              Alex
            • castillo.alex2008
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                > Sidenote:
                >
                > Im also sure if you look at the shipping figures for Diaka Vodka,
                them
                > Yuppie types buy most of that crap too ROTF :):).
                >
                > Jim.
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                <jamesonbeam1@>
                > wrote:
                >
                > Na Harry,
                >
                > Its just that alot of the nouveau riche

                <http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6q.axtIxAwAe.BXNyoA/SIG=15mptclci/EXP=
                12\
                > 09843006/**http%3a//search.yahoo.com/search%3fei=UTF-8%26fr=yfp-t-
                368%26\
                > p=nouveau%2briche%26SpellState=n-925272637_q-
                lgbe9lq8Soxip6QKPCkvugAAAA%\
                > 2540%2540%26fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top> yuppie types around the US still
                > believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are
                the "correct
                > way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.
                >
                > However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin'
                > anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's
                [:x]
                > [:x] .
                >

                > World's Most Expensive Vodka
                > <http://nandini.instablogs.com/> Nandini
                > <http://nandini.instablogs.com/> , Delhi, INDIA
                > Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT
                > [World's Most Expensive Vodka] Diaka Vodka, is the world's most
                > expensive vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but
                > this is not what makes it most expensive. It's actually the
                filtration
                > process of the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is
                made in
                > Poland where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one
                carat in
                > size, to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed
                clarity
                > and smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder
                > Spirits in USA.
                >
                > Look Familar :):):).
                >
                > Vino es Veritas,
                >
                > Jim.

                By the way, how much does the bottle cost?
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                  LoL Alex,

                  You really want to know???

                  World's most expensive vodka costs $1 million a bottle
                  Naveen | Sep 5 2007

                  Vodka is supposed to be tasteless but still, people who love its �taste� are ready to pay huge bucks for a single bottle. Earlier, Diaka Vodka, which is made in Poland, was touted to be the world�s most expensive Vodka (pricing unknown).
                  Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is producing the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant expression of personal style.

                  The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1 million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the bottle. A whopping $1 Million for a single bottle of Vodka! Sounds crazy!   From:  http://www.bornrich.org/entry/worlds-most-expensive-vodka-costs-1-million-a-bottle/

                  Now remember Alex,  Diamonds have absoulty no porosity....   Any distiller worth their salt would know that activated charcoal / carbon has the most porosity of any material, and would laugh at the idea of trying to filter vodka through diamonds.  Look it up in the Info base...

                  "Activated carbon, also called activated charcoal or activated coal, is a form of carbon that has been processed to make it extremely porous and thus to have a very large surface area available for chemical reactions. [1] The word activated in the name is sometimes substituted by active. Due to its high degree of microporosity, just one gram of activated carbon has a surface area of approximately 500 m², as determined typically by nitrogen gas adsorption.  See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

                  So much for Marketing Hype - BS...  Probably the same people go and by 50 - 75 year old Scotch / Irish Whisk(e)ys and Napoleonic Brandies lol...   (Of course - No offense to our friend Mason Jar - I know that bottle was given to you by your boss:):))...

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                    <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                    > Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is
                    producing
                    > the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This
                    > vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then
                    > passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant
                    > expression of personal style.
                    > The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1
                    > million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the
                    bottle.

                    Avarice** has no limit.

                    ** Avarice: Excessive greed or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of
                    money, wealth, food, or other possessions, especially when this denies
                    the same goods to others. It is generally considered a vice, and is one
                    of the seven deadly sins in Catholicism.
                  • Zapata Vive
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                      I actually think the diamond vodka is fantastic.  Think about it, the Scotch have been making fine liquor for ages.  Now all of sudden there is a surge in top shelf vodka.  Which is ridiculous in and of itself because so far as I can tell there is good vodka (tastes like ethanol) and bad vodka (tastes like anything else).  How could something be more tasteless than something that is tasteless.  OK, anyway.  Lots of premium vodkas out there, that the Scottish distillers have to think is pretty silly.  Why not pull the leg of these Vodka consumers?

                      I can just see it hatched up over a prized single malt.  "Why don't we just strip all the flavor out of the nastiest wash we can make?"  "hey, we could age it on gold! and charge more"  "Better yet, filter it over diamonds! I bet people would buy it!)

                      Can't say I blame them, I rarely actually capitalize on the grand schemes I come up with after drinking a few too many with the boys...

                      > Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is
                      producing
                      > the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This
                      > vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then
                      > passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant
                      > expression of personal style.
                      > The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1
                      > million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the
                      bottle.

                      Avarice** has no limit.

                      ** Avarice: Excessive greed or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of
                      money, wealth, food, or other possessions, especially when this denies
                      the same goods to others. It is generally considered a vice, and is one
                      of the seven deadly sins in Catholicism.

                    • Link D'Antoni
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2008
                        Answer: NO!
                        Varity is the spice of life.

                        Link :-)

                        ***

                        ps
                        I note the USA is the largest Scotch market. Are
                        you guys getting tired of Bourbon? [:D]

                        Be a better friend, newshound, and