Re: whisky years. Myth or reality?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2008
      Well, that makes it easier to understand the angel's share. I'd say
      that barrel has been leaking. What do I know really, just sipping some
      12years old Bowmore and there's no taste of leeks there ;)

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

      > Here is a picture of a 20 year old barrel I took at one of Heaven Hill's
      > rick houses just a month ago.

    • Sherman
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2008
        In this particular picture, the leaking one was the newer one above. I
        imagine if a barrel stayed there long enough it was bound to get a
        leaker above it.

        <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

        > Well, that makes it easier to understand the angel's share. I'd say
        > that barrel has been leaking. What do I know really, just sipping some
        > 12years old Bowmore and there's no taste of leeks there ;)
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Here is a picture of a 20 year old barrel I took at one of Heaven
        Hill's
        > > rick houses just a month ago.

      • burrows206
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2008
          Hi Alex,
          When I used to drive heavy goods vehicles (38 ton all up weight
          in UK)I used to deliver new empty Black and White Whiskey labelled
          bottles to those distilleries and I used to see those bloody huge
          barrels stacked 2 high (you could park a medium size car inside each
          one) They used to be stacked outside and alongside those bonded ware
          houses (security was real tight to get in there as well) and at other
          times they would be rotated indoors. At the time I thought it was
          just being used up i.e. bottled real quick. But in retrospect they
          were rotating them warm inside temp in the ware house but bloody wind
          chilling bone bitingly cold Scottish wet weather outside. All I can
          say there was a hell've a lot of it in those barrels stacked outside
          and even more in those warehouses they were long, wide and huge
          When you were supplying to the world I suppose you had to think big
          Geoff

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
          <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

          > Talking about aging I have wondered the following question since
          some
          > time ago. We see in the bottles of many Scotch whiskies they´re
          12, 20
          > and even 50 years old, but are they? For example, was the 12 years
          > drink today put in an oak barrel back in 1996? it is hard to
          believe
          > specially due to the big demand of these products in the market.
          How

          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2008

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:
             All I can
            > say there was a hell've a lot of it in those barrels stacked outside
            > and even more in those warehouses they were long, wide and huge

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
            > castillo.alex2008@ wrote:
            > How
            > > big are their warehouses?

            You can judge how big they are by the annual export figures.  90% of all Scotch Whisky is exported.  Only 10% is kept for domestic consumption.  Last year's figures from a BBC report...

            'Record high' for whisky exports

            Close up of whisky being poured
            An industry body says export sales have reached a record high

            Exports of Scotch whisky reached record levels last year, according to figures from an industry body.

            The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) said the value of exports reached a new high of £2.8bn, earning £90 every second for the UK balance of trade.

            The value of exports to India rose by 36% to £33m, while exports to the European Union went up by 27%.

            The SWA said export volume was also up, with the equivalent of 1,135 million bottles of Scotch whisky exported.

            SWA chairman, Paul Walsh, said the performance "underscores just how important Scotch Whisky is to our economy."

            He added: "This is all the more impressive given the economic difficulties encountered in certain markets during the second half of 2007."

            Top 10 export markets in 2007 by value

            • USA £419.2m
            • Spain £307.5m
            • France £294.2m
            • Singapore £158.1m
            • South Korea £139.3m
            • Greece £103.5m
            • Germany £96.3m
            • South Africa £90.9m
            • Taiwan £81.8m
            • Portugal £48.3m

            The figures have been welcomed by the SNP.

            Angus Robertson MP, whose Moray constituency contains more than half of all malt whisky production, described it as "tremendous news".

            He added: "It is ironic that, while the rest of the world is boosting the industry, at home the UK Labour government is undermining the domestic sector by hiking tax rates on Scotland's premium product."

            The SWA figures are derived from HM Revenue and Customs data and are based on individual company declarations of the export value and volume of shipments.

            ps
            I note the USA is the largest Scotch market.  Are you guys getting tired of Bourbon?  :D

            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2008

              Na Harry,

              Its just that alot of the nouveau riche yuppie types around the US still believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are the "correct way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.

              However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin' anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's  :x:x.

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim.   (from South of the Mason-Dixon Line.........)

              ___snip____

              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                Sidenote:

                Im also sure if you look at the shipping figures for Diaka Vodka, them Yuppie types buy most of that crap too ROTF :):).

                Jim.

                Na Harry,

                Its just that alot of the nouveau riche yuppie types around the US still believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are the "correct way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.

                However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin' anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's  :x:x.

                World's Most Expensive Vodka

                 Nandini, Delhi, INDIA
                Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT

                World's Most Expensive VodkaDiaka Vodka, is the world's most expensive vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but this is not what makes it most expensive. It's actually the filtration process of the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is made in Poland where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one carat in size, to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed clarity and smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder Spirits in USA.

                Look Familar :):):).

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim.

              • castillo.alex2008
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                  Well, after all your comments (which I appreciate) specially that of
                  the person who actually saw the big barrels in Scotland and the figures
                  offered by Harry I only have to say that I´m a believer. About what
                  Jim says, aroun here we have the same case. Even when we (people from
                  Dominican Republic, in the caribbean) have excellent rums (Barcelo,
                  Brugal, which was recently bought by a british company, etc.) people
                  tend to associate drinking whisky / ey, with high economic status.
                  Many new rich people even have bought ridiculously high bottles of
                  liquors, etc. As we have many guys who were born very poor, became
                  baseball players in american´s big leagues, came back home, etc. In
                  the other hand I´m surprised of the figures of Spain, country where I
                  lived for about 3 years (mainly canary islands), since they drink
                  mainly wine, beer and in the islands also rum.

                  Alex
                • castillo.alex2008
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                    <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                    > Sidenote:
                    >
                    > Im also sure if you look at the shipping figures for Diaka Vodka,
                    them
                    > Yuppie types buy most of that crap too ROTF :):).
                    >
                    > Jim.
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                    <jamesonbeam1@>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > Na Harry,
                    >
                    > Its just that alot of the nouveau riche

                    <http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6q.axtIxAwAe.BXNyoA/SIG=15mptclci/EXP=
                    12\
                    > 09843006/**http%3a//search.yahoo.com/search%3fei=UTF-8%26fr=yfp-t-
                    368%26\
                    > p=nouveau%2briche%26SpellState=n-925272637_q-
                    lgbe9lq8Soxip6QKPCkvugAAAA%\
                    > 2540%2540%26fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top> yuppie types around the US still
                    > believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are
                    the "correct
                    > way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.
                    >
                    > However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin'
                    > anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's
                    [:x]
                    > [:x] .
                    >

                    > World's Most Expensive Vodka
                    > <http://nandini.instablogs.com/> Nandini
                    > <http://nandini.instablogs.com/> , Delhi, INDIA
                    > Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT
                    > [World's Most Expensive Vodka] Diaka Vodka, is the world's most
                    > expensive vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but
                    > this is not what makes it most expensive. It's actually the
                    filtration
                    > process of the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is
                    made in
                    > Poland where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one
                    carat in
                    > size, to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed
                    clarity
                    > and smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder
                    > Spirits in USA.
                    >
                    > Look Familar :):):).
                    >
                    > Vino es Veritas,
                    >
                    > Jim.

                    By the way, how much does the bottle cost?
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                      LoL Alex,

                      You really want to know???

                      World's most expensive vodka costs $1 million a bottle
                      Naveen | Sep 5 2007

                      Vodka is supposed to be tasteless but still, people who love its �taste� are ready to pay huge bucks for a single bottle. Earlier, Diaka Vodka, which is made in Poland, was touted to be the world�s most expensive Vodka (pricing unknown).
                      Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is producing the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant expression of personal style.

                      The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1 million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the bottle. A whopping $1 Million for a single bottle of Vodka! Sounds crazy!   From:  http://www.bornrich.org/entry/worlds-most-expensive-vodka-costs-1-million-a-bottle/

                      Now remember Alex,  Diamonds have absoulty no porosity....   Any distiller worth their salt would know that activated charcoal / carbon has the most porosity of any material, and would laugh at the idea of trying to filter vodka through diamonds.  Look it up in the Info base...

                      "Activated carbon, also called activated charcoal or activated coal, is a form of carbon that has been processed to make it extremely porous and thus to have a very large surface area available for chemical reactions. [1] The word activated in the name is sometimes substituted by active. Due to its high degree of microporosity, just one gram of activated carbon has a surface area of approximately 500 m², as determined typically by nitrogen gas adsorption.  See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

                      So much for Marketing Hype - BS...  Probably the same people go and by 50 - 75 year old Scotch / Irish Whisk(e)ys and Napoleonic Brandies lol...   (Of course - No offense to our friend Mason Jar - I know that bottle was given to you by your boss:):))...

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim.

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                        > Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is
                        producing
                        > the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This
                        > vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then
                        > passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant
                        > expression of personal style.
                        > The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1
                        > million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the
                        bottle.

                        Avarice** has no limit.

                        ** Avarice: Excessive greed or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of
                        money, wealth, food, or other possessions, especially when this denies
                        the same goods to others. It is generally considered a vice, and is one
                        of the seven deadly sins in Catholicism.
                      • Zapata Vive
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                          I actually think the diamond vodka is fantastic.  Think about it, the Scotch have been making fine liquor for ages.  Now all of sudden there is a surge in top shelf vodka.  Which is ridiculous in and of itself because so far as I can tell there is good vodka (tastes like ethanol) and bad vodka (tastes like anything else).  How could something be more tasteless than something that is tasteless.  OK, anyway.  Lots of premium vodkas out there, that the Scottish distillers have to think is pretty silly.  Why not pull the leg of these Vodka consumers?

                          I can just see it hatched up over a prized single malt.  "Why don't we just strip all the flavor out of the nastiest wash we can make?"  "hey, we could age it on gold! and charge more"  "Better yet, filter it over diamonds! I bet people would buy it!)

                          Can't say I blame them, I rarely actually capitalize on the grand schemes I come up with after drinking a few too many with the boys...

                          > Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is
                          producing
                          > the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This
                          > vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then
                          > passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant
                          > expression of personal style.
                          > The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1
                          > million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the
                          bottle.

                          Avarice** has no limit.

                          ** Avarice: Excessive greed or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of
                          money, wealth, food, or other possessions, especially when this denies
                          the same goods to others. It is generally considered a vice, and is one
                          of the seven deadly sins in Catholicism.

                        • Link D'Antoni
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 4, 2008
                            Answer: NO!
                            Varity is the spice of life.

                            Link :-)

                            ***

                            ps
                            I note the USA is the largest Scotch market. Are
                            you guys getting tired of Bourbon? [:D]

                            Be a better friend, newshound, and