whisky years. Myth or reality?

  • castillo.alex2008
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2008
      Talking about aging I have wondered the following question since some
      time ago. We see in the bottles of many Scotch whiskies they´re 12, 20
      and even 50 years old, but are they? For example, was the 12 years I
      drink today put in an oak barrel back in 1996? it is hard to believe
      specially due to the big demand of these products in the market. How
      big are their warehouses?

      Alex
    • rye_junkie
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
        <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

        > Talking about aging I have wondered the following question since some
        > time ago. We see in the bottles of many Scotch whiskies they´re 12, 20
        > and even 50 years old, but are they? For example, was the 12 years I
        > drink today put in an oak barrel back in 1996? it is hard to believe
        > specially due to the big demand of these products in the market. How
        > big are their warehouses?
        >
        > Alex

        Well to start I believe they are called Rick Houses. They are quite
        large. I believe some can hold as many as 100,000 barrels. Thats alot
        of whisky/ey. Personally I think it is true for the most part. Look
        at the prices on this stuff. For instance George Dickel Black label
        and Tan Label Just came back on the shelves. The distillery simply
        ran out due to high demand. (16-20$/750ml 4-6 years old I think)).
        You couldnt get the stuff for about 4 months unless you knew somebody
        that had a supply hidden away. However the Single BBL stuff that goes
        for 40-50 bucks a bottle(750ml) was in quite a healthy supply. Most
        high end Scotch's are even higher priced. So yes, I think this is
        possible due to the fact that not too many folks will drop that much
        cash on a bottle of booze. I just finished a bottle of Scotts
        Highland Park 1985. I believe it was a 20 year old. $200.00/bottle.
        It was a gift from my Boss. Yes it was wonderful scotch but unless
        he gives me another, that will be my last. I simply cant justify
        paying that much for it. However if it was 70$ I might consider a
        bottle once a year or so. Just my opinion.

        Mason
      • Sherman
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2008
          Here is a picture of a 20 year old barrel I took at one of Heaven Hill's rick houses just a month ago.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
          > castillo.alex2008@ wrote:
          > >

          > > Talking about aging I have wondered the following question since some
          > > time ago. We see in the bottles of many Scotch whiskies they´re 12, 20
          > > and even 50 years old, but are they? For example, was the 12 years I
          > > drink today put in an oak barrel back in 1996? it is hard to believe
          > > specially due to the big demand of these products in the market. How
          > > big are their warehouses?
          > >
          > > Alex
          > >
          > Well to start I believe they are called Rick Houses. They are quite
          > large. I believe some can hold as many as 100,000 barrels. Thats alot
          > of whisky/ey. Personally I think it is true for the most part. Look
          > at the prices on this stuff. For instance George Dickel Black label
          > and Tan Label Just came back on the shelves. The distillery simply
          > ran out due to high demand. (16-20$/750ml 4-6 years old I think)).
          > You couldnt get the stuff for about 4 months unless you knew somebody
          > that had a supply hidden away. However the Single BBL stuff that goes
          > for 40-50 bucks a bottle(750ml) was in quite a healthy supply. Most
          > high end Scotch's are even higher priced. So yes, I think this is
          > possible due to the fact that not too many folks will drop that much
          > cash on a bottle of booze. I just finished a bottle of Scotts
          > Highland Park 1985. I believe it was a 20 year old. $200.00/bottle.
          > It was a gift from my Boss. Yes it was wonderful scotch but unless
          > he gives me another, that will be my last. I simply cant justify
          > paying that much for it. However if it was 70$ I might consider a
          > bottle once a year or so. Just my opinion.
          >
          > Mason

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2008
            Well, that makes it easier to understand the angel's share. I'd say
            that barrel has been leaking. What do I know really, just sipping some
            12years old Bowmore and there's no taste of leeks there ;)

            Cheers, Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

            > Here is a picture of a 20 year old barrel I took at one of Heaven Hill's
            > rick houses just a month ago.

          • Sherman
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2008
              In this particular picture, the leaking one was the newer one above. I
              imagine if a barrel stayed there long enough it was bound to get a
              leaker above it.

              <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

              > Well, that makes it easier to understand the angel's share. I'd say
              > that barrel has been leaking. What do I know really, just sipping some
              > 12years old Bowmore and there's no taste of leeks there ;)
              >
              > Cheers, Riku
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Here is a picture of a 20 year old barrel I took at one of Heaven
              Hill's
              > > rick houses just a month ago.

            • burrows206
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                Hi Alex,
                When I used to drive heavy goods vehicles (38 ton all up weight
                in UK)I used to deliver new empty Black and White Whiskey labelled
                bottles to those distilleries and I used to see those bloody huge
                barrels stacked 2 high (you could park a medium size car inside each
                one) They used to be stacked outside and alongside those bonded ware
                houses (security was real tight to get in there as well) and at other
                times they would be rotated indoors. At the time I thought it was
                just being used up i.e. bottled real quick. But in retrospect they
                were rotating them warm inside temp in the ware house but bloody wind
                chilling bone bitingly cold Scottish wet weather outside. All I can
                say there was a hell've a lot of it in those barrels stacked outside
                and even more in those warehouses they were long, wide and huge
                When you were supplying to the world I suppose you had to think big
                Geoff

                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:
                   All I can
                  > say there was a hell've a lot of it in those barrels stacked outside
                  > and even more in those warehouses they were long, wide and huge

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
                  > castillo.alex2008@ wrote:
                  > How
                  > > big are their warehouses?

                  You can judge how big they are by the annual export figures.  90% of all Scotch Whisky is exported.  Only 10% is kept for domestic consumption.  Last year's figures from a BBC report...

                  'Record high' for whisky exports

                  Close up of whisky being poured
                  An industry body says export sales have reached a record high

                  Exports of Scotch whisky reached record levels last year, according to figures from an industry body.

                  The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) said the value of exports reached a new high of £2.8bn, earning £90 every second for the UK balance of trade.

                  The value of exports to India rose by 36% to £33m, while exports to the European Union went up by 27%.

                  The SWA said export volume was also up, with the equivalent of 1,135 million bottles of Scotch whisky exported.

                  SWA chairman, Paul Walsh, said the performance "underscores just how important Scotch Whisky is to our economy."

                  He added: "This is all the more impressive given the economic difficulties encountered in certain markets during the second half of 2007."

                  Top 10 export markets in 2007 by value

                  • USA £419.2m
                  • Spain £307.5m
                  • France £294.2m
                  • Singapore £158.1m
                  • South Korea £139.3m
                  • Greece £103.5m
                  • Germany £96.3m
                  • South Africa £90.9m
                  • Taiwan £81.8m
                  • Portugal £48.3m

                  The figures have been welcomed by the SNP.

                  Angus Robertson MP, whose Moray constituency contains more than half of all malt whisky production, described it as "tremendous news".

                  He added: "It is ironic that, while the rest of the world is boosting the industry, at home the UK Labour government is undermining the domestic sector by hiking tax rates on Scotland's premium product."

                  The SWA figures are derived from HM Revenue and Customs data and are based on individual company declarations of the export value and volume of shipments.

                  ps
                  I note the USA is the largest Scotch market.  Are you guys getting tired of Bourbon?  :D

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                    Na Harry,

                    Its just that alot of the nouveau riche yuppie types around the US still believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are the "correct way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.

                    However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin' anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's  :x:x.

                    Vino es Veritas,

                    Jim.   (from South of the Mason-Dixon Line.........)

                    ___snip____

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                      Sidenote:

                      Im also sure if you look at the shipping figures for Diaka Vodka, them Yuppie types buy most of that crap too ROTF :):).

                      Jim.

                      Na Harry,

                      Its just that alot of the nouveau riche yuppie types around the US still believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are the "correct way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.

                      However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin' anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's  :x:x.

                      World's Most Expensive Vodka

                       Nandini, Delhi, INDIA
                      Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT

                      World's Most Expensive VodkaDiaka Vodka, is the world's most expensive vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but this is not what makes it most expensive. It's actually the filtration process of the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is made in Poland where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one carat in size, to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed clarity and smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder Spirits in USA.

                      Look Familar :):):).

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim.

                    • castillo.alex2008
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                        Well, after all your comments (which I appreciate) specially that of
                        the person who actually saw the big barrels in Scotland and the figures
                        offered by Harry I only have to say that I´m a believer. About what
                        Jim says, aroun here we have the same case. Even when we (people from
                        Dominican Republic, in the caribbean) have excellent rums (Barcelo,
                        Brugal, which was recently bought by a british company, etc.) people
                        tend to associate drinking whisky / ey, with high economic status.
                        Many new rich people even have bought ridiculously high bottles of
                        liquors, etc. As we have many guys who were born very poor, became
                        baseball players in american´s big leagues, came back home, etc. In
                        the other hand I´m surprised of the figures of Spain, country where I
                        lived for about 3 years (mainly canary islands), since they drink
                        mainly wine, beer and in the islands also rum.

                        Alex
                      • castillo.alex2008
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                          > Sidenote:
                          >
                          > Im also sure if you look at the shipping figures for Diaka Vodka,
                          them
                          > Yuppie types buy most of that crap too ROTF :):).
                          >
                          > Jim.
                          >

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                          <jamesonbeam1@>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > Na Harry,
                          >
                          > Its just that alot of the nouveau riche

                          <http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6q.axtIxAwAe.BXNyoA/SIG=15mptclci/EXP=
                          12\
                          > 09843006/**http%3a//search.yahoo.com/search%3fei=UTF-8%26fr=yfp-t-
                          368%26\
                          > p=nouveau%2briche%26SpellState=n-925272637_q-
                          lgbe9lq8Soxip6QKPCkvugAAAA%\
                          > 2540%2540%26fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top> yuppie types around the US still
                          > believe in the old myth that Scotch and Irish Whiskeys are
                          the "correct
                          > way to drink" in the big cities hehehe.
                          >
                          > However, down south here, you would'nt be caught dead a drinkin'
                          > anything other then Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack's or Dickel's
                          [:x]
                          > [:x] .
                          >

                          > World's Most Expensive Vodka
                          > <http://nandini.instablogs.com/> Nandini
                          > <http://nandini.instablogs.com/> , Delhi, INDIA
                          > Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT
                          > [World's Most Expensive Vodka] Diaka Vodka, is the world's most
                          > expensive vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but
                          > this is not what makes it most expensive. It's actually the
                          filtration
                          > process of the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is
                          made in
                          > Poland where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one
                          carat in
                          > size, to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed
                          clarity
                          > and smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder
                          > Spirits in USA.
                          >
                          > Look Familar :):):).
                          >
                          > Vino es Veritas,
                          >
                          > Jim.

                          By the way, how much does the bottle cost?
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                            LoL Alex,

                            You really want to know???

                            World's most expensive vodka costs $1 million a bottle
                            Naveen | Sep 5 2007

                            Vodka is supposed to be tasteless but still, people who love its �taste� are ready to pay huge bucks for a single bottle. Earlier, Diaka Vodka, which is made in Poland, was touted to be the world�s most expensive Vodka (pricing unknown).
                            Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is producing the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant expression of personal style.

                            The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1 million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the bottle. A whopping $1 Million for a single bottle of Vodka! Sounds crazy!   From:  http://www.bornrich.org/entry/worlds-most-expensive-vodka-costs-1-million-a-bottle/

                            Now remember Alex,  Diamonds have absoulty no porosity....   Any distiller worth their salt would know that activated charcoal / carbon has the most porosity of any material, and would laugh at the idea of trying to filter vodka through diamonds.  Look it up in the Info base...

                            "Activated carbon, also called activated charcoal or activated coal, is a form of carbon that has been processed to make it extremely porous and thus to have a very large surface area available for chemical reactions. [1] The word activated in the name is sometimes substituted by active. Due to its high degree of microporosity, just one gram of activated carbon has a surface area of approximately 500 m², as determined typically by nitrogen gas adsorption.  See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

                            So much for Marketing Hype - BS...  Probably the same people go and by 50 - 75 year old Scotch / Irish Whisk(e)ys and Napoleonic Brandies lol...   (Of course - No offense to our friend Mason Jar - I know that bottle was given to you by your boss:):))...

                            Vino es Veritas,

                            Jim.

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                              <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                              > Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is
                              producing
                              > the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This
                              > vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then
                              > passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant
                              > expression of personal style.
                              > The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1
                              > million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the
                              bottle.

                              Avarice** has no limit.

                              ** Avarice: Excessive greed or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of
                              money, wealth, food, or other possessions, especially when this denies
                              the same goods to others. It is generally considered a vice, and is one
                              of the seven deadly sins in Catholicism.
                            • Zapata Vive
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                                I actually think the diamond vodka is fantastic.  Think about it, the Scotch have been making fine liquor for ages.  Now all of sudden there is a surge in top shelf vodka.  Which is ridiculous in and of itself because so far as I can tell there is good vodka (tastes like ethanol) and bad vodka (tastes like anything else).  How could something be more tasteless than something that is tasteless.  OK, anyway.  Lots of premium vodkas out there, that the Scottish distillers have to think is pretty silly.  Why not pull the leg of these Vodka consumers?

                                I can just see it hatched up over a prized single malt.  "Why don't we just strip all the flavor out of the nastiest wash we can make?"  "hey, we could age it on gold! and charge more"  "Better yet, filter it over diamonds! I bet people would buy it!)

                                Can't say I blame them, I rarely actually capitalize on the grand schemes I come up with after drinking a few too many with the boys...

                                > Anyway, a Scotland based company named Blackwood Distillers is
                                producing
                                > the triple distilled Diva vodka through a sophisticate process. This
                                > vodka is ice-filtered, filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then
                                > passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and gems to make it elegant
                                > expression of personal style.
                                > The price per bottle of Diva Premium Vodka is between $3,700 and $1
                                > million, depending on the choice of precious stones used in the
                                bottle.

                                Avarice** has no limit.

                                ** Avarice: Excessive greed or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of
                                money, wealth, food, or other possessions, especially when this denies
                                the same goods to others. It is generally considered a vice, and is one
                                of the seven deadly sins in Catholicism.

                              • Link D'Antoni
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 4, 2008
                                  Answer: NO!
                                  Varity is the spice of life.

                                  Link :-)

                                  ***

                                  ps
                                  I note the USA is the largest Scotch market. Are
                                  you guys getting tired of Bourbon? [:D]

                                  Be a better friend, newshound, and