Re: Rye Mash

    Message 1 of 31 , May 1, 2008
      Hi Gus,

      Cracked rye is fine for mashing. Usually if your doing an all grain
      mash, you need 2 row (perfered) or 6 row malted barley, or if they
      are calling for a pound of malt in addition, that means you need just
      regular barley and whats called Diastatic malt, which contains the
      enzymes for converting starches to sugars. Look it up in the Info
      base along with Malting grains. You can get this at any brewer or
      wine supply store.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gusterminator"
      <gusterminator@...> wrote:

      > I have a recipe that calls for 7 pounds of Rye, 2 pounds of Barley,
      and
      > 1 pound of Malt.
      >
      > I found cracked Rye at the local bulk food store and am curious if
      this
      > is what they want for the recipe.
      > Also the they call for Malt? what kind of malt Rye Malt Wheat Malt?
      > Or can I get the Malt from the cracked Rye?
      >
      > can anybody help on where I would find these ingred.
      >
      > Thanks again
      >
      > Gus

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 18, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
        <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mason
        >
        > I wonder if you completed this experiment so you can let us know how
        > many pounds of DME to use per how many liters of water, in summary
        > the whole procedure and the results you had. In the other hand, I´ve
        > had some hard time trying to strain the maize fermented on the
        > grains, mainly because I couldn´t find the paint strainer you talked
        > about. I found this site, but I don´t know exactly what do I need.
        > Could you take a look at it and let me know: (my fermenter is a 32
        > liters plastic bucket from Brewhaus)
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/57qgp7
        >
        > In the other hand I´m thinking in using a combination of first the ss
        > strainer and later some other gadget to press the grain to get all
        > the possible amount of fermented juice, but I don´t know what device
        > to use. Will the grapes pressing do the trick?
        >
        > Finally I´ve seen many different kinds of DME (i.e. Pilsen, golden
        > light, sparkling amber, etc.) I wonder which will give a good profile
        > for a Scotch. Maybe Harry and Jim can give us some info about it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alex

        Hello Alex,
        Either one of those Sparging (5030/5032) should do the trick. As I
        may have mentioned, I got mine from Home Depot and I checked the
        local Ace Hardware today on the way home and they carried them also.
        On my first flaked grain mash I strained the mash through a NEW pair
        of my wifes Panty hose. Caught hell for it but they worked. You just
        have to be a little more careful than with the paint bags. Get too
        rough and they tear.
        As for the experiment. Well it never got off the ground. I decided
        to go all grain Malt instead with some added peat malt. So far so
        good with that. Just building up a sufficient amount of low wines for
        now. Sorry I cant be of more help on that one. I think the Pilsen
        would be a good choice though.

        Mason