Re: how long can a wash sit

    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2008
      Yes Alex,

      There alway is a possibility of you wash / mash getting infected by
      acetobacter bacteria, and other nasties. These are the main reasons
      for keeping your utensils and fermenters clean, covering your
      fermentation during the primary fermentation, then racking and putting
      it into a secondary (clean) fermenter with an air lock to keep out the
      nasties (if its going to remain for a long time......

      However, since we distillers usually only keep the wash / mash in a
      fermenter for a week or two, while there is still carbon dioxide being
      generated, and not exposing it to air, the danger is nowhere near as
      great as with wine making where it may sit for a year or so before
      being bottled. Another trick wine makers do, is add sulfites and
      clarifiers, after the primary fermentation, to kill the yeasts and any
      nasties that might have infected it during racking :):).

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
      <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Jim, is there a probability of ending up with vinegar due to the
      > oxidation of the alcohol present due to the bacteria (acetobacter)?
      I´m
      > not a wine maker but I remember that once I made some wine and after
      > few month it turned into vinegar (which was used to cook at home).
      So