Re: how long can a wash sit

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2008
      Right on the Money there Pussycat:):):). Just make sure you use air
      locks...

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pussycataprilia" <try.it@...>
      wrote:

      > thanks all! You all answered and will help me... I did not realize
      > their was more to the "letting it sit" than just letting it sit in
      teh
      > fermentation bucket.
      >
      > My intent was to simply make the wash...one weekend then distill it
      > the following weekend.. so I would only be wanting to let it sit
      for a
      > short time...
      >
      > But what you guys are telling me is that If I get some glass
      carboys I
      > can make several washes in a weekend let them ferment in the
      > primaries... then distill when ready after transferring to
      carboys...
      > that would be a more efficient operation for me too.
      >
      > Thank you all!!!
    • castillo.alex2008
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2008
        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

        > Right on the Money there Pussycat:):):). Just make sure you use air
        > locks...
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        > Jim.

        Jim, is there a probability of ending up with vinegar due to the
        oxidation of the alcohol present due to the bacteria (acetobacter)? I´m
        not a wine maker but I remember that once I made some wine and after a
        few month it turned into vinegar (which was used to cook at home). So
        under what conditions alcohol won´t turned into vinegar?

        Alex
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2008
          Yes Alex,

          There alway is a possibility of you wash / mash getting infected by
          acetobacter bacteria, and other nasties. These are the main reasons
          for keeping your utensils and fermenters clean, covering your
          fermentation during the primary fermentation, then racking and putting
          it into a secondary (clean) fermenter with an air lock to keep out the
          nasties (if its going to remain for a long time......

          However, since we distillers usually only keep the wash / mash in a
          fermenter for a week or two, while there is still carbon dioxide being
          generated, and not exposing it to air, the danger is nowhere near as
          great as with wine making where it may sit for a year or so before
          being bottled. Another trick wine makers do, is add sulfites and
          clarifiers, after the primary fermentation, to kill the yeasts and any
          nasties that might have infected it during racking :):).

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"