Re: using temp breaks to automate

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yourkeyturner"
      <yourkeyturner@...> wrote:

      > Wilson,
      > I solved the problem of "Thermometer Vision" by purchasing an
      > inexpensive electronic thermometer, which included a temp alarm. I
      just
      > set the alarm to go off at a temp just under the cut temps.

      ........This is a handy thing.

      > I also have an old baby monitor and on a few occasions, I have set
      the
      > monitor up near the electronic thermo and carry the receiver around
      > with me to listen for the alarm. The monitor is nice because you
      would
      > be able to hear any unusual actions, i.e. hoses breaking loose,
      steam
      > escaping

      I dispute that. I have had water flow cease (no sound) and I have
      had submersible pump failure (again no sound as my underwater pump is
      silent when running). And I have had a seam spring a vapour leak
      (again no sound because the leak was small & there's no significant
      pressure driving the still). Any one of which could have caused a
      major event. Bottom line, DON'T rely on gadgets as a substitute for
      eyes, ears & nose. If you do, you may be explaining to the fire
      warden & insurance company why your property was destroyed (hopefully
      your kids weren't in it at the time). S T A Y S A F E !!

      The risk of foolish & careless operation is one BIG REASON WHY we are
      having so much difficulty legalising this hobby. Common sense is
      your friend.