All malted barley mash

  • aghoover
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
      I've done 2 practice sugar mash runs and have made a powerful, yet
      foul product with our pot still. We just picked up an alcoholometer
      so I don't exact percentage, but they seemed stronger than 60%.
      However the yield from a full carboy of fermented wash seemed rather
      low. I realize that I'm not a master fermenter yet, but I was a
      little disappointed with that. The next wash will be all malted
      barley and it seems like the recipes I've found have a mash at ~6%.
      Is it unreasonable to make a barley mash closer to 15-20%?
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
        Hey AG,

        Usually, all grain whiskey makers shoot for a low ABV mash (around 7%
        to 8% ABV on purpose. The reason for this is that, you want the
        flavors to come through over the alcohol. The stronger your mash is in
        ABV, the lower the flavors will be in the first distillation. This is
        also why pot stills are favored over reflux for whiskey making, even
        though a reflux can be modified and de-refluxed to mimic a pot still
        and be just as good.

        The other reason, is that without adding sugars to an all grain mash,
        due to the conversion factors and amount of starch in grains that can
        be converted to sugars, it is hard to reach anything over 11% - 12%.
        This would take so much grains, you would end up with soup or some
        nice cream of barley, corn etc. Please read about convertion factors
        and Mash Efficiency and Yield at: http://homedistiller.org/yield.htm

        However, Im not saying that you can't add sugar to your malted barley
        to increase the ABV yield. I do this all the time to my corn whiskey
        mash, and is the basis for Uncle Jesse's (the real one :):) famous Sour
        Mash Method.

        Just keep in mind, the higher the alcohol yield your trying to achieve
        in your mash, the less there will be in flavors comming through. I
        have done up to a 12% corn mash using sugar instead of malt, and it was
        fine. But going over that - like 14% to 16%, I experienced a
        significant loss of flavors.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
          Perfect. Thanks alot.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
            AHHH AG,

            Wish it were so :):):). Remember:

            "To Err is Human, To make a Fine Whiskey - Divine..."