Re: removing forshots

  • rye_junkie
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2008
      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      > Gus,
      >
      > It really depends on the still. Reflux stills can cut the boiling
      > points more sharply then pot stills. The lower boiling points in a
      > distillation are:
      >
      > Acetone 56.5C (134F)
      > Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
      > Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
      > Ethanol 78C (172F)
      >
      > However, given a mixture of these in a solution, their boiling points
      > will be higher as a sum total. See Raoult's Law and Ideal Mixtures of
      > Liquids - http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/phaseeqia/idealpd.html
      > Its in the Info base. Also the Methanol and Ethanol, since they are so
      > close in boiling points will be distilled throughout the whole process
      > (thanks Sherman :).
      >
      > Your best bet is to go by smell. When it stops smelling like paint
      > remover, thinner or nail polish then its a safe bet. But usually the
      > first 100ml to 200 ml of a distillate are a good idea to throw out or
      > use as lighter fluid...
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      > Jim.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gusterminator"
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I read that you remove 50ml for a 25L wash. If I have a small pot
      > I'm
      > > using at the time, it usually takes 3 runs to use up my 25L do I just
      > > remove 16ml of forshots before collecting or should I still remove 50
      > > each time.
      > > Also My first 25L run I got 500ml of 90%. It smells kinda like a rum
      > > with a off smell. If I add this 500ml to my next new fermenting
      > batch
      > > before I distill it will it effect the tast?
      > >
      > > I"m using a reflux still.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Gus

      Gus,
      Even for reflux I pull 100ml of foreshots just to be safe and then a
      couple hundred for heads. I would not recommend splitting up into
      16ml cuts for foreshots. 50ml each run at the least. Also your 500ml
      of 90% that smelled like rum was probably Heads. They usually smell a
      little fruity. You could add some to your middle run for a little
      flavor or run with the next run or save up a few liters and run them
      by themselves. There are about 20 or so choices you have. I dont
      like to run them with the next strip run. I prefer using them in a
      spirit run for whiskey or my next reflux run. It sounds to me like
      you may not be practicing the practice of beer stripping?

      Mason