1st run

  • tiretz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
      Hi All,

      First of all, thanks to all those who take the time to answer the
      questions.

      I have finally built my 2" offset head still. It has about 800mm of
      copper mesh packing. The first run was just water, and at full speed
      I was getting a temp of 100.6 at the top of the reflux column. This
      will possibly explain why my temps were a bit out during my first
      actual run.

      The first proper run was with about 16 litres of sugar wash of
      unknown strength. It took about an hour to get up to temperature.
      At first the temp was varying between 73C and 78C with the cooling
      water running. I wasn't sure what to do next so I increased the heat
      and it finally stabilised (full reflux) at 79.5C. I was pretty happy
      at this point. I slowly ( 1 to 1.5 drops per sec) took off 160ml as
      heads to be safe . I expected the temp to stay a bit lower until I
      took off the heads. As it sort of went straight to 79.5 and stayed
      there, I was concerned that I wasn't properly separating the
      methanol and other nasties.

      At about 80C i started collecting the first jar. After about 2 hours
      it crept up to 81.4. I had collected about 1.3 litres (over
      threejars) when the temp climbed to 88C over 9 minutes. I changed to
      the next collection jar about half way through this period. It kept
      rising and I stopped the run it at 95C. Throughout, i kept the
      reflux ratio fairly high. The take off was kept at less that 3 drops
      per sec and the reflux flow was a constant stream. The whole thing
      once heated took about 3.5 hours.

      I have just tasted some that has been maturing with juniper berries,
      coriander and cardoman seeds for about 5 minutes ;-). It came from
      the 3rd jar. It tastes just like what I would buy from the shop so I
      guess it all worked out well. There weren't bad after tastes.

      The second jar doesn't smell as 'sweet' as the third jar (only a
      small difference). I haven't tried it yet. I am worried that I
      didn't separate the heads out properly. Should there be a small temp
      rise after the heads are taken off or have I done it ok.

      The dramatic rise at the end would have been easy to spot if I was
      watching. Does it matter if I change jars at the end of the temp
      rise or should it be at the start?

      regards

      Tiretz