RE: [new_distillers] Purifying the mash

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26 12:18 PM
      >From: "John Fleming" <fledo99@...>
      >It seems that one most desirable thing to aim for is the virtual
      >elimination of yeast when distilling. Is there any reason why we
      >should not use bentonite (beloved of wine makers) to precipitate out
      >the yeast before distillation?

      John - I have heard of finings being used sucessfully, along with also
      putting the frementor&wash into the freezer to help knock down the yeast.

      On a similar note, I have had very good separation of my yeast into a thick
      pad at the bottom of the fermentor, since changing the way I keep the wash
      warm. I wrap a heating pad from a water-bed around the fermentor (and tape
      the thermostat to the side of it). This causes a gentle stirring of the
      wash by slow convection currents, and keeps the yeast in suspension. When I
      turn the heat off, the whole suspended load of yeast drops out in one go -
      and forms a very compact & dense pad within a day - very easy to take the
      clear wash off the top of it.

      Tony