Re: My corn flake mash

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
      Mole,
      Go to msg#27084 and read that and the others on the thread on DAP.

      What im using now is Expert Gardener All-Purpose Plant Food - 24-8-16
      along with used trub, Epson salts, tomato paste and the EC-1118.

      But based on Harry's recommendations, reduced the amount to 3
      tablespoons to begin with and 1 TBS 1/2 way through.

      You can get it at Walmart - 2.99 for 1.5 lbs.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@...>
      wrote:
      Thanks for the tip Jim. I read Bill's notes. They were helpful. So
      this
      is what I did.
      I added the yeast nutrient and stirred. 12hours later the bubbling had
      nearly stopped so I just claked it up to a lesson learned and
      distilled
      it. Did 2 strip runs and I am doing the spirit run now. Started
      another
      sour mash yesterday. Reused all the trub, 1 1/2 gallons backset, 7lbs
      sugar, 2TBS yeast nutrient, topped it up with water to 5 1/2 gallons.
      aerated for 5 hours. I mixed 1 TBS of epsom salt, a 6oz can of tomato
      paste, and a small amount of water in a pan and added it during
      aeration. The yeast seems to be very happy and is bubbling away. I'll
      let ya now how it works out. (Opps, forgot to take the SG. Will assume
      it was 1.094, the same as the first two batches)
      Now for the question. Should I use the epsom salt and tomato paste
      along with, or in lieu of, the yeast nutrient. I would like to get off
      the yeast nutrient (I am cheap hehehe) so what would be a good
      substitute? I have read about a multi-vitamin working. Anything else
      needed?

      Mole