vacuum distillation

  • Geoff Redman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2002
      Hello all,

      I'm looking at constructing a vacuum still suitable for heated vapour
      extraction of essential oils. So far, I like particularly the idea of a
      vacuum pump inline with the column and condensor in order to minimize
      losses. At this point I haven't got a lot of information on design
      options. Can anyone recommend a good source of design details, anywhere
      from the basic to the advanced level?

      thanks,
      geoff
    • funboytim
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2002
        Does anyone know or remember how vacuum distillation works? I have
        the option of getting a vacuum adapter for my set up and am now
        certain how to set it up. Thanks.

        Tim
      • Geoff Redman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2002
          Interesting stuff Tim,

          What are your vacuum pump characteristics (e.g. pump speed, ultimate vacuum,
          pump materials)? I'm assuming the apparatus is for drinkable spririts or
          essential oils. Then if the pump materials are food grade, you could put the
          vacuum inline between the column and condensor; otherwise, you will lose some
          vapour if you are pumping out the boiler headspace into the room air. Can
          you send 'small' schematic diagrams of your present setup and your vacuum
          system?

          geoff

          funboytim wrote:

          > Does anyone know or remember how vacuum distillation works? I have
          > the option of getting a vacuum adapter for my set up and am now
          > certain how to set it up. Thanks.
          >
          > Tim
        • motie_d
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2002
            --- In new_distillers@y..., "funboytim" <funboytim@d...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know or remember how vacuum distillation works? I have
            > the option of getting a vacuum adapter for my set up and am now
            > certain how to set it up. Thanks.
            >
            > Tim

            If you figure it out on a home scale, please post it here.
            In the mean time, a friend sent me a link to a real spoil sport
            inventer. LOL
            http://www.portlandmercury.com/2000-08-03/scientific.html

            Motie
          • riverpiratesteve
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
              Have been reading a little and examinging the prospect of using vacuum distillation. I noticed schematic saved in files of a vacuum still was also featured on another site 3rdrockenergy.com. But they are charging for the complete palns.

              I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with these people or are able to point me in the direction of some good resources on this subject.

              My intent is to build a small scale(table top) continous vacuum still to test the theory out. Then to go to a larger scale for fuel ethanol production this summer..

              If anyone has any applicable information or links, they would be greatly appreciated

              tnx, steve