Re: Making my1st Refux still this weekend.

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
      Sorry, It's the internal Reflux that I will be making..thx again.
      http://www.moonshine-still.com/page11.htm

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks Mason for the help in making the 1st mash that I think I did
      > right??
      > Now for the good part. I get get to build my still. I have read alot
      > of the conversation's going on about this and that. Should I take
      out
      > a new policy on the house, Dog's, Wife??? I love my dogs!!!!!!!:) I
      > found this site that I think will work for the Beginner (me), and
      with
      > this, I was wondering if there is anything that I should do to
      improve
      > on this model? Within reason.. Thx all, The new guy, Greg
      >
      > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page9.htm

    • rye_junkie
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Mason for the help in making the 1st mash that I think I did
        > right??
        > Now for the good part. I get get to build my still. I have read alot
        > of the conversation's going on about this and that. Should I take out
        > a new policy on the house, Dog's, Wife??? I love my dogs!!!!!!!:) I
        > found this site that I think will work for the Beginner (me), and with
        > this, I was wondering if there is anything that I should do to improve
        > on this model? Within reason.. Thx all, The new guy, Greg
        >
        > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page9.htm

        Hello Greg,
        Glad the wash worked for ya. However you probably should have made
        the still before the wash. Youll be fine.
        I assume you are looking to build the non offset head model Ie the
        one with the cooling tubes through the column? If so then yes you can
        in my opinion improve the design. Basically you want to put both
        reflux cooling tubes in the top of the column in a crisscross pattern
        just under the offtake arm. This will make a few things easier, Like
        cleaning, being able to use structured packing( hard to do with that
        bottom through tube in the way). It will also ensure that reflux
        happens at the top of the column so you get full efficiency of the
        packing. That design has been around for years and has served many
        well ( Sherm says it made the best vodka he ever tasted) but there are
        better and easier designs to build.

        Mason
      • KM Services
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
            Greg, I built the same still (internal reflux) from that website, but
            I moved the lower thru pipe up about an inch or two under the upper
            thru pipe, as previously suggested. Instead of soldering the thru
            pipes to the condenser, I stubbed them out about 1 1/2 inches and
            made my connection to the condenser using short pieces of hose and
            clamps. Now, when my first batch of corn mash is done settling, I
            will just disconnect the short pieces of hose, connect my water lines
            straight to the condenser, remove my packing and cook my mash in "pot
            still mode".

            BTW-I was working towards a combination still (reflux/pot)and in my
            present infancy of this hobby, I equated tall columns to strickly
            reflux, so instead of using the called for 36" column, I cut off 6",
            as most pot stills seem to have much shorter columns. I can tell you
            the shorter column has not effected the "reflux mode" as I'm getting
            a good 90% out of her. I'll let ya know in a few days how the "pot
            Still mode".
            I also found it easier and cheaper to buy my condenser from Brewhause

            Holler if I can help ya out any.
            KEYturner

          • Greg
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
              Thank's for all the input on different designs and tweeks to make a
              better still. I found 1 in the database (the Bokakob mini) and I
              think for my 1st try, I'm going to go w/this one. With this in mind,
              any small modifications I can make on it since it was posted back
              then? It looks very straight foward from what I can see. I only have
              one ? though, on the plans it says to bend down the flange after
              insertion? How can I do that? Also I noticed a "non coiled condenser"
              there as well, again straight foward. Any thoughts?

              Thx
              Greg

              Ps Mason your right! never should have made the mash now. It seems to
              have stopped bubbling..... Can I save it? Anyone?

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yourkeyturner"
              <yourkeyturner@...> wrote:

              > Greg, I built the same still (internal reflux) from that website,
              but
              > I moved the lower thru pipe up about an inch or two under the upper
              > thru pipe, as previously suggested. Instead of soldering the thru
              > pipes to the condenser, I stubbed them out about 1 1/2 inches and
              > made my connection to the condenser using short pieces of hose and
              > clamps. Now, when my first batch of corn mash is done settling, I
              > will just disconnect the short pieces of hose, connect my water
              lines
              > straight to the condenser, remove my packing and cook my mash
              in "pot
              > still mode".
              >
              > BTW-I was working towards a combination still (reflux/pot)and in my
              > present infancy of this hobby, I equated tall columns to strickly
              > reflux, so instead of using the called for 36" column, I cut off
              6",
              > as most pot stills seem to have much shorter columns. I can tell
              you
              > the shorter column has not effected the "reflux mode" as I'm
              getting
              > a good 90% out of her. I'll let ya know in a few days how the "pot
              > Still mode".
              > I also found it easier and cheaper to buy my condenser from
              Brewhause

              > Holler if I can help ya out any.
              > KEYturner

            • rye_junkie
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...> wrote:

                > Thank's for all the input on different designs and tweeks to make a
                > better still. I found 1 in the database (the Bokakob mini) and I
                > think for my 1st try, I'm going to go w/this one. With this in mind,
                > any small modifications I can make on it since it was posted back
                > then? It looks very straight foward from what I can see. I only have
                > one ? though, on the plans it says to bend down the flange after
                > insertion? How can I do that? Also I noticed a "non coiled condenser"
                > there as well, again straight foward. Any thoughts?
                >
                > Thx
                > Greg
                >
                > Ps Mason your right! never should have made the mash now. It seems to
                > have stopped bubbling..... Can I save it? Anyone?

                Yes Greg you can save the wash. Cap it tight and put an airlock on
                it. It will be just fine for a couple of weeks if necessary. As for
                the BOK, you have made a wise choice. It works great for both pot and
                reflux. I built one a few months back. You bend that tab down with a
                long screwdriver or whatever you can reach it with. It does need a
                small liebig for a chiller on the offtake. The condenser is coiled
                design. I will take a couple of pics of mine and send them to you
                over private email tonight.

                Mason
              • morganfield1
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...> wrote:

                  > I only have
                  > one ? though, on the plans it says to bend down the flange after
                  > insertion? How can I do that? >
                  > Thx
                  > Greg
                  >
                  > Hi Greg,

                  Before you insert the bottom slant plate in the slot on the column, cut
                  two slots, about an 1/8" deep and a 1/4" apart on the flat side of the
                  slant plate. After the plate is soldered in place, insert a long rod
                  (screwdriver works well, if you have one long enough) and use a hammer
                  to tap the little tongue over. This will channel the reflux down the
                  middle of the packing/column. I hope I explained this well enough.

                  Tip one, Morgan
                • Greg Praeger
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
                    Yep,  I sure did. You and Mason both touched on this same "Heads-up when building" so I dont blow it mode.

                    One thing though, I went to the database and read pretty much all of the post's (some are VERY HEATED) regarding a "Liebig". I know where it should be located in the big picture , but what the heck is it? With common sense and store bought hooch (hopefully last time) I will have this puppy ready for a couple of break in runs by Sunday night :):) yee haa

                    Thx Greg

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
                      Hi Greg,

                      There are many pictures of them on stills in the photos section, and
                      when I describe what they are, you'll imedeately recognize one.
                      Basically, it's a small diameter pipe inside a larger pipe, the
                      latter sealed at both ends, with a coolant inlet at one end, and an
                      outlet at the other. Vapor flows thru the inner pipe, coolant flows
                      thru the outter pipe, condensing the vapor inside the small pipe.
                      There are many variations, but all work on the same principle. HTH

                      Tip one, Morgan

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Greg Praeger
                      <gapremodeling@...> wrote:

                      > Yep, I sure did. You and Mason both touched on this same "Heads-up
                      when building" so I dont blow it mode.

                      > One thing though, I went to the database and read pretty much all
                      of the post's (some are VERY HEATED) regarding a "Liebig". I know
                      where it should be located in the big picture , but what the heck is
                      it? With common sense and store bought hooch (hopefully last time) I
                      will have this puppy ready for a couple of break in runs by Sunday
                      night :):) yee haa

                      > Thx Greg

                    • rye_junkie
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
                        Hey Greg,
                        How is this coming along?

                        Mason
                      • Greg
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
                          Hey Mason, good so far. Crimped my condenser tube 1st go at it other
                          then that, all is well. I'm going to put it all together tomorrow.
                          On the plans it shows the output flange with the flap bent down after
                          install. Cant I just cut that prior to? I dont really see a purpose
                          for it being on there.? I did increase the length of the column by 6"
                          That is the only modifcation I have done from the original plan. I
                          made the Liebig the length you mentioned before. If I can cut that
                          plate, could you let me know? Thank's for the help.

                          I'm going to order the bells and whistles ie yeast, rings. Anything
                          that you think can think of that I might want to add to it so in the
                          future I will need? Meters or?

                          Again, thank's

                          Greg

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hey Greg,
                          > How is this coming along?
                          >
                          > Mason

                        • morganfield1
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 7, 2008
                            Yes, Greg,

                            Glad to hear you are progressing. Cut the slots for that little flap
                            first, then solder it into place (if I am understanding your question
                            properly). The purpose of that "flap" is to direct the over flow
                            spirit to the center of the packing for refluxing. Good Luck and I
                            HTH.

                            Tip one, Morgan