Re: Do you think this may work

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
      Another reason I love the idea of having 3 different barrels is that
      you can set up a continuous aging process, as in the way they age
      Solera Sherry. This is a process of moving the oldest aged liquor into
      the lowest barrels and adding the new white dog to the upper barrel.

      In this way you will have a contiuous supply of aged hootch!!!..
      See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solera

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      > You also might want to check out Brewhaus:
      > http://www.brewhaus.com/Oak_Kegs_s/23.htm
      >
      > The prices are competitive and both are reputable suppliers -
      > however, I do like the idea of having 3 different 5 liter oak barrels
      > for 140.97, in case you want to age different liquors or dont have
      > enough to fill up a 5 gallon one. Brewhaus is also having a sale now
      > though... Good pick Ken.
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      > Jim.
    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
        I need a definiation. What is White Dog?

        The best for last
        BILL1BURP

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
          Welp, In the canine world its usually a small poodle, but in ol' timers
          moonshining lingo, it the stuff that comes out of the still thats clear.

          Then when you age it, it become brown.... Got it :):).

          (Somewhat related to "Hair of the dog that bit you - that you need to
          drink te next morning...)

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
          <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

          > I need a definiation. What is White Dog?
          >
          > The best for last
          > BILL1BURP
        • daddyman00126
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
            Thanks Jim

            I have one more question. I have been reading the website
            homedistillers.org. Now I am ready for my first book. I was thinking
            of the "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" or there is this one "Making
            Pure Corn Whiskey by Ian Smiley BSc" Also I thought about Riku's book
            but is that for more of an advanced hobbest?

            To many to choose and not enough money to buy them all. So I guess I
            am looking for something that will not hit the commercial side of
            this hobby to much but yet something that will give me plans,
            recipes, step by step.

            What do you think my first book should be.

            The best for last
            BILL1BURP

            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

            > Welp, In the canine world its usually a small poodle, but in ol'
            timers
            > moonshining lingo, it the stuff that comes out of the still thats
            clear.

            > Then when you age it, it become brown.... Got it :):).
            >
            > (Somewhat related to "Hair of the dog that bit you - that you need
            > drink te next morning...)
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            > Jim.
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
            > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I need a definiation. What is White Dog?
            > >
            > > The best for last
            > > BILL1BURP

          • rye_junkie
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
              <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Jim
              >
              > I have one more question. I have been reading the website
              > homedistillers.org. Now I am ready for my first book. I was thinking
              > of the "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" or there is this one "Making
              > Pure Corn Whiskey by Ian Smiley BSc" Also I thought about Riku's book
              > but is that for more of an advanced hobbest?
              >
              > To many to choose and not enough money to buy them all. So I guess I
              > am looking for something that will not hit the commercial side of
              > this hobby to much but yet something that will give me plans,
              > recipes, step by step.
              >
              > What do you think my first book should be.
              >
              > The best for last
              > BILL1BURP

              Bill I would highly recommend the Alaskan bootleggers bible. It has a
              vast amount of recipes for Beer, wine and shine using everything from
              carrots to traditional corn and barley, and also alot of plain old
              interesting info. He also gives alot of instruction on how to build
              practical useful equipment. I also have Smileys book. It is also very
              good and has very detailed instructions but gets pretty technical at
              times. The only plan in that book is for a offset head reflux still
              that attaches to a hot water heater.
              I own five or 6 books on our hobby. The one I pick up the most is the
              ABB. Just my opinion.

              Mason
            • morganfield1
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
                Hey Bill,

                I have not read the "ABB", but I hear it is very good. I have read
                Riku's book,"Designing and Building Automatic Stills" and it is very
                good, also. I believe it does assume a certain level of knowledge,
                but it does start out with the basic principles with some basic
                designs, and goes on from there. His work on ARC and E-ARC is
                facinating reading. I have also just finished "The Compleat
                Distiller" by Nixon and McCaw (the "Mikes") and it, also is very
                good, but much more indepth, I believe. I just finished chapter 8
                (the infamous chapter 8) a couple of nights ago, and by brain still
                hurts! I think my next volume will be Ian Smiley's book, but that
                will have to wait till next month! HTH

                Tip one, Morgan

                I was thinking
                > > of the "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" or there is this
                one "Making
                > > Pure Corn Whiskey by Ian Smiley BSc" Also I thought about Riku's
                book
                > > but is that for more of an advanced hobbest?
                > >

                > > The best for last
                > > BILL1BURP
                >
                > Bill I would highly recommend the Alaskan bootleggers bible. It
                has a
                > vast amount of recipes for Beer, wine and shine using everything
                from
                > carrots to traditional corn and barley, and also alot of plain old
                > interesting info. He also gives alot of instruction on how to build
                > practical useful equipment.
              • Jesse
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Ol man, Just started my 20Liter run about 2 1/2 hours ago, I think that
                  I am In my Heart runs as of now.. It started at 85%Abv for the heads
                  and Now it is running around 75% Abv. SO I think that I am In my
                  hearts. I will continue to collect till 55%abv. I won't be running a
                  second run as I am Collecting very slow right now/ My burnner is on
                  warm Not low. and the whole rig is stablized at 182 by my Thermometer,
                  Its a analog therm. So I know its not right.. this is where it is
                  through all the other runs,, So I went with it,(never calabrated it)
                  anyways all is well, Just went to do a small taste test and Yuck boy
                  its nasty, I wonder what the h*ll happen. This batch has a super strong
                  After taste that bleeds into your mouth, Not sure how to explain. But
                  its nasty. The recipe that I used is the only one I know. Its the
                  cornflake wash.. and My rig is still the same, 2 foot column with the
                  thumper(doubler)- Nothing has changed. So I was wondering if There is
                  any other aspects I need to consider,, OL MAYBE its the yeast, this
                  will be the first batch with the new yeast, Dag IS that it? EC1118 Do
                  I need to carbon polish? Not sure Kinda lost. with the wash I thought
                  that this one was for Netural spirits, If not thats what I was going
                  for. Tis why I was going to rebuild to reflux. or both THanks again
                  Guys,, Uncle Jesse

                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008

                    Mate,

                    Carbon filtering it will get rid of those off smells and tastes personally however clean the grog smells to me I always carbon filter “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. Most of the bourbon in the States is carbon treated so are Vodka’s etc for that reason

                    Cheers Ken Mc

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 2, 2008
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Mate,
                      >
                      > Carbon filtering it will get rid of those off smells and tastes
                      personally
                      > however clean the grog smells to me I always carbon filter "An ounce
                      of
                      > prevention is worth a pound of cure". Most of the bourbon in the
                      States is
                      > carbon treated so are Vodka's etc for that reason
                      >
                      > Cheers Ken Mc
                      >

                      >I Feared this, THis is the only thing that I don;t have,, Active
                      Carbon. Great,, Thanks though, Uncle Jesse

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
                        Okey, another few dumb questions.

                        This is the first run, correct? So its a stripping run right?
                        So first, why are you only collecting till 55% abv and leaving all
                        that good alcohol to waste?

                        Then, what do you mean your not going to do a second run? Does that
                        mean your not going to do a spirits run, and why not?

                        Finally, why did you use corn flakes instead of rice krispies for
                        neutral alcohol - didn't i tell you to read Bill's Rice Krispie
                        recipe thats in the Info base??

                        Both the rice krispies and corn flakes recipes I've made (about 20
                        times now (using the same EC-1118), never had any bad flavors and
                        never even needed polishing.
                        Let me know these things.

                        Vino es Veritas,
                        Jim.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse" <carolinacrisp@...>
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
                          Ummmm Ken,
                          You have mis-spoketh about something very near and dear to my
                          heart....

                          Bourbon by law, CANNOT be polished in any means or fashion, in any
                          way at all!!!. Otherwise, it cannot be called Bourbon.

                          This is the reason why we here, have Bourbons and we have Tennessee
                          Whiskeys, which are made with the same ingredients...

                          However, Tennessee Whiskey is filtered through a thick bed of Sugar
                          Maple Charcoal - NOT activated carbon which takes flavors away. The
                          maple charcoal adds flavors....

                          This process is called the Lincoln County process:
                          "The Lincoln County Process is a process used in making Tennessee
                          whiskeys such as Jack Daniel's and George Dickel. The whiskey is
                          filtered through a column of charcoal chips before going into the
                          casks for aging. The process is named for Lincoln County, Tennessee,
                          which was the location of Daniel's distillery at the time of its
                          establishment; subsequent redrawing of county lines means that
                          neither distillery currently using the process is located in its
                          namesake county.

                          The charcoal used by Jack Daniel's is created on site, from stacks of
                          two by two inch sugar maple timbers called ricks. They are primed
                          with 140 proof Jack Daniel's, and then ignited under massive hoods
                          that help prevent sparks. Once they have reached the char state, the
                          ricks are sprayed with water to prevent complete combustion. The
                          resulting charcoal is then run through a grinder to reduce it to
                          consistent bean-size pellets. These are then packed into 10 foot
                          vats, where they are used to filter impurities from the 140 proof
                          whiskey, after which the whiskey is reduced with water to 125 proof
                          for aging. This process lends a darker color and "richer" taste.

                          The George Dickel distillery uses shallower vats, chills its whiskey
                          before it enters the vats, and allows the whiskey to fill the vats
                          instead of just trickling it through. It's said that these
                          modifications allow more benefit to be derived from the filtering
                          process.

                          The Lincoln County Process is what separates "Tennessee Whiskey"
                          from "Bourbon". To be a "Bourbon", it is required that, among other
                          things, the whiskey cannot be artificially flavored or colored any
                          time after the fermenting process."

                          Now, do you see that they cannot be called "Bourbon"? :):):).

                          Vino es Veritas,
                          Jim.

                          <km_services@...> wrote:

                          > Mate,
                          >
                          > Carbon filtering it will get rid of those off smells and tastes
                          personally
                          > however clean the grog smells to me I always carbon filter "An
                          ounce of
                          > prevention is worth a pound of cure". Most of the bourbon in the
                          States is
                          > carbon treated so are Vodka's etc for that reason
                          >
                          > Cheers Ken Mc
                        • KM Services
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008

                            Oooppps sorry Buddy maybe I phrased it wrong but there is charcoal involved and I now more informed…thank you Jim for putting me straight on that

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
                              Thats okey my friend,
                              Confused the heck out of me at first too.... But being an advid Bourbon
                              drinker, had to make that clarification:).

                              "For every action, there is (a sometimes greater) opposite and equal
                              criticism."

                              Vino es Veritas,
                              Jim.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 3, 2008
                                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                > Okey, another few dumb questions.
                                >
                                > This is the first run, correct? So its a stripping run right?
                                > So first, why are you only collecting till 55% abv and leaving all
                                > that good alcohol to waste?
                                >
                                > Then, what do you mean your not going to do a second run? Does
                                that
                                > mean your not going to do a spirits run, and why not?
                                >
                                > Finally, why did you use corn flakes instead of rice krispies for
                                > neutral alcohol - didn't i tell you to read Bill's Rice Krispie
                                > recipe thats in the Info base??
                                >
                                > Both the rice krispies and corn flakes recipes I've made (about 20
                                > times now (using the same EC-1118), never had any bad flavors and
                                > never even needed polishing.
                                > Let me know these things.
                                >
                                > Vino es Veritas,
                                > Jim.

                                None of your questions are dumb Jim.
                                ANyway, I had already mix the wash before you told me to go to bills
                                thing,(remember) The next one I will do that way though, I know your
                                busy so I want hold it against ya,LOL anyways I collect all the
                                way down to like 30% but its not to drink.. I maybe doing the whole
                                thing wrong/. but last time I ended up with almost nothing out of 5
                                gallons after doing the spirits run. And It tasted about the same as
                                it did the first trip through.. But here is the plan as of now a
                                before this message. I was going to wait till I had a few runs to
                                toss together, SO that it fills up my pot after duluting it. I do
                                have on standy a Few other runs that were made of the same recipe.
                                And so i thought I could mix these and do One big spirit run, Thats
                                whY I posted that I will only be doing this run once. As I ran it low
                                and slow. (it almost tasted and Smell and Was clearer than all my
                                previous runs. I collected a rate of maybe one drip/s From 6:00PM to
                                4:00 am this morning. Really slow, and it work out, I may need to
                                still go with the plan, For mix all together. As I am not sure I
                                want these in there, I ended up with 4 quarts/1 gallon of good
                                product, that is 75%abv On, then of course I have my heads and
                                tails,, Not much there though/. Thinking running slow and go really
                                helps. But None the less. I will go ahead an mix it in there too.
                                Delute it down to 40%abv and Go with it... What ever I need to do..
                                I also am a bit confused as I read a Homedistillers, Like half the
                                guys only do one run and then some belive that they need 2-3 runs,
                                Not bragging on my rig or nothing by no means. but my heads are
                                always in the high 80 or low 90s, The highest that came out so far
                                what 91%Abv, That I assumed to be the heads of the batch, as my temp
                                was not all the way to the normal distilling area, Then when it is
                                stable I usasully get the 75% for the rest of the night, till Its
                                over in the tails. and Temp will rise again.
                                But if you think that this will greatly help by running All runs
                                Twice I will continue to do so.. I only stopped after the first few
                                times it really did change the product that much, HecK I couldn't
                                really tell the differents.. But That also was when I wasn't familiar
                                with my rig,, SO this in turn could have played a big part.
                                So Ask all the question you need, because there is no stupid
                                question in my book.LOL
                                I will try the rice krispy one this go around, Just got my 4
                                carboys and all my other stuff from the WEEKEND BREWERS Great place
                                great service,, I just bought like 150.00 worth of materials and
                                yeast, so I will be in heaven for a while.
                                starting your recipe and two sweetfeeds.,, Its going to be great.,Ok
                                I rambled enough of mindless thoughs. Thanks for your help Uncle
                                Jesse