Re: Aerator

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1 5:41 PM
      Oh, BTW people,

      If you ever looked at how an electric air pump for matresses or one
      of them thar little car vacuums work, with a fan forcing the air
      through them, you might figure out its the same principle as a
      roatating gear moving air through a tube that costs one heck of a lot
      more, and wont add any off-flavors - and by geezzz, i can even
      pronounce the name lol... (but i have been criticized before for
      using an air pump :):):). Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
      well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
      tools ya had to buy...

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

      Aquarium air pumps usually provide several liters per minute. Those
      cheap things from e-bay are usually dosing pumps and will provide few
      milliliters per minute. There are bigger ones but price and size goes
      up considerably, or so it seems. Let me know if you find the opposite.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yourkeyturner"
      <yourkeyturner@...> wrote:

      > Search 'Peristaltic pump' on Ebay...Found em starting from $20.00
      all
      > the way up to $1700! I suppose a large one would not be needed as
      it is
      > only being used to "aerate" a few liters of product. I like the
      idea of
      > rapidly speeding up the process. Will have to read and read and read
      > some more on it. Any thoughts on min. flow rate?
      >
      > KEYturner

    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1 7:38 PM
        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

        Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same price
        as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
        and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
        (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
        T which I didnt use.

        Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
        down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
        extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
        didnt mind buying them for future use.

        I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
        went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
        off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.

        Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
        posting reading. What is the brick for?

        The best for last
        BILL1BURP

        ____snip____

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 1 7:44 PM
          To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
          little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
          on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
          works as well :):):).

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"

          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

          ____snip____
          Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
          > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
          > tools ya had to buy...
          >
          > Vino es Veritas,
          > Jim.
        • daddyman00126
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 1 7:55 PM
            Hell if I knew that I could have got out cheap. I have about 2ft of
            chemical resistance tubing that is real flexable. I bought about 6ft
            of it for my run off into my collection vessel.

            Live and learn.

            BILL1BURP

            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

            > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
            > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
            > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang
            copper
            > works as well :):):).
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            > Jim.
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
            > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
            >
            > Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same
            price
            > as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
            > and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
            > (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
            > T which I didnt use.
            >
            > Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
            > down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
            > extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
            > didnt mind buying them for future use.
            >
            > I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
            > went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
            > off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.
            >
            > Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
            > posting reading. What is the brick for?
            >
            > The best for last
            > BILL1BURP
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
            > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
            >
            > ____snip____
            > Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
            > > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
            > > tools ya had to buy...
            > >
            > > Vino es Veritas,
            > > Jim.

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 1 8:46 PM
              I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
              add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
              of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
              business :)

              Cheers, Riku

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 1 9:11 PM

                Sorry Riku,

                Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so - and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing process to them angels and mother nature lol.

                But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes, im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like Harry) and stuff that fall into it,  will add enough local characteristics hehehe :):).

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim.

                (Dang Riku, had to look that one up, and ya didnt even give me a link - your getting as bad as Harry :x:x:x.)  Regards, Jim.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                > I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                > add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                > of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                > business :)
                >
                > Cheers, Riku
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                > jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
                > >
                > > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                > > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                > > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
                > > works as well :):):).
                > >
                > > Vino es Veritas,
                > > Jim.

              • morayman98
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 2 3:03 AM
                  <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                  But is it wrapped in FOOD GRADE plastic? Morayman........

                  > Sorry Riku,
                  >
                  > Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so -
                  > and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing
                  > process to them angels and mother nature lol.
                  >
                  > But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes,
                  > im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like
                  > Harry) and stuff that fall into it, will add enough local
                  > characteristics hehehe :):).
                  >
                  > Vino es Veritas,
                  > Jim.
                • morganfield1
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 2 2:25 PM
                    I think they call that the "House Blend", don't they, Hehe.

                    Actually, I was trying to think of a good name for my next brew,
                    "Old Brick", humm...

                    Thick as a brick, Morgan

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 2 2:48 PM
                      Ummmm, me likes - "Thick as a Brick" better :):):)>
                      Vino es Veritas,
                      Jim.

                      And yes all, it is wrapped in Saran Wrap - Food Grade Plastic lol.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 2 4:00 PM
                        And, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I mean, let's face it,
                        you only need to expose air to the aging spirit in very small amounts
                        once a month or so (that should stir things up a bit!). I age my
                        spirits (deluted to 50%, not "rocket fuel") in 600 ml glass jars.
                        Once a month, I open the jars and leave the lids off for an hour.
                        Then I put the lids back on and give them a good shake. That should
                        do the trick. There is debate on whether aging spirit draws air thru
                        the staves of a barrel due to contraction of the spirit in the cold
                        weather, the barrel shrinks, also. I am of the thought that it does,
                        but that is niether here nor there. Research has shown that air
                        permeates the staves and in that way exposes spirit to air. Either
                        way, it is a small amount.

                        Tip a brick, Morgan