Do you think this may work

  • Jesse
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1 4:11 PM
      Hey Just looked through some pics that are on file, while I was
      looking I saw a small Take off that had a 1/4 tube wraped around the
      out side of the still head( or right below take off) anyways, SInce I
      have the ol junker rig and I have tons of 1/4 copper. will it help to
      cause even the smallest reflux if I use this.. Right now I have dry
      fitted it. My column is 1" copper that is 2 1/2 foot tall.. THen of
      course have the doubler on the back to help even the weight and
      Hopefully help with purtiy.. anyways I dry fitted the 1/4 copper and
      I now have 6 Tightly wraped coils the equal about 6" of space at the
      top of the head.. I think that I have heard that this works just not
      that good, Do you guys think that it may help or this is just a waste
      of time. OR will it mess the whole works up by not letting the column
      heat up all the way,.. Hope it will help. Trying to get around 90-
      92%adv, And Not really wanting to spend hundreds more. Just trying to
      use the material that I have already.. Also was thinking maybe
      run it through the inside of one inch copper but 1/4 inch I didnt
      think would help much with out a coil inside the column, This I need
      a much larger pipe for,

      I also have some 1/2 copper. It just enough to go through the colunm
      and Attach to condencer, this would Make me lose the doubler till I
      can afford more pipe,. Will the reflux equal or be higher than the
      doubler adds.. (as in Abv which one is better,)
      any thoughs will be nice. as I am driving myself crazy trying to
      improve.. PS I know that I am Not improving Much and I also Know
      that I should pruchase or build a real deal, but My pockets don't
      allow it right now.. Thanks to all Uncle Jesse
      OL no UJ back with the mega post, LOL
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1 5:58 PM

        Mate,

        I tried this a few years ago with my 60mm column and it did kind a work and got into the 80’s ABV, but needed some thing to divert the vapour to the cold section of column…hence the cold tip through pipes? But with the smaller column of 25mm it would be roughly the same diameter as the “still spirits” reflux stills column which have a small water jacket at the top with some minor packing which is placede below the jacket (they work fine at around 90%ABV depending on brand), I am sure it would work as you have in essence created the same thing…you would not need the thumper and the control of the water to the “reflux condenser” AKA coil is best regulated separately from the product condenser, in my opinion as gives finer control. I would suggest also have a look at the links I posted to you some time ago which had diagrams and instructions regarding the “still spirits” and “essencia” stills.

        My Pennies worth…cheers Ken Mc

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1 7:42 PM
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services"
          <km_services@...> wrote:

          > Mate,
          >
          > I tried this a few years ago with my 60mm column and it did kind a
          work and
          > got into the 80's ABV, but needed some thing to divert the vapour
          to the
          > cold section of column.hence the cold tip through pipes? But with
          the
          > smaller column of 25mm it would be roughly the same diameter as
          the "still
          > spirits" reflux stills column which have a small water jacket at
          the top
          > with some minor packing which is placede below the jacket (they
          work fine at
          > around 90%ABV depending on brand), I am sure it would work as you
          have in
          > essence created the same thing.you would not need the thumper and
          the
          > control of the water to the "reflux condenser" AKA coil is best
          regulated
          > separately from the product condenser, in my opinion as gives finer
          control.
          > I would suggest also have a look at the links I posted to you some
          time ago
          > which had diagrams and instructions regarding the "still spirits"
          and
          > "essencia" stills.
          >

          > My Pennies worth.cheers Ken Mc

          Hey Ken,
          I think That is where I saw this in the first place..on the Essencia
          stills, I think, I maybe wrong as i haven't learn all the names to
          things yet, But If it was the same still you speak of, this its a
          Short lil boger that Has this off set black piece that looks to be
          the condencer so how,, ANyways if this is not it sorry.. I am way
          off, but When looking in the Forum there I seen this thing again, ANd
          It has Like One coil around its top before it connects with the black
          part,, It really don't look like it would help it and I didn't belive
          that this little this gets up in the 90's, but i must of. Thats where
          the Brain blast came from. Poor me it happens all the time,LOL

          So I put the coil package on my rig in hopes. ANd Now I realized
          there's No room for hopes and Only there only room for I am sure..
          I gotcha on the seprate water control. I was going for an Needle
          valve Control off the condencer Input lines, Plus I use a 30 gallon
          holding tank for cooling. It's out side and everything is piped to
          it,So in hitting the input line before the hot water was going to
          save me a bit of a mess. But getting the contol is where I need to be
          right now. Untill I fully understand and Know what's happing and what
          period, then I probably should keep things simple, but I will just do
          it seprate all together, If you think it will make it a little easier
          for this lil ol noob to control.. I think it will.
          Thanks again UJ
        • rye_junkie
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 2 5:28 AM
            Jesse,
            you would be better off with the through tube just under the offtake
            on the column. I have done this and one tube works quite well. 80%+
            with no packing on the first run. Ken is correct about the separate
            cooling line. I have found that you need to have more flow to the
            product condenser than you need for the reflux tube. If you plumb it
            all in line it takes a lot of heat to overcome the reflux cooling to
            push the vapor past. By doing so you start getting tails pretty
            quick. As for the water jacket around the top, it will probably work
            just not as well as the through tube and you could also plumb it in
            line as it will need more flow to be effective.

            Mason
          • Jesse
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 2 6:04 AM
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
              wrote:

              > Jesse,
              > you would be better off with the through tube just under the offtake
              > on the column. I have done this and one tube works quite well. 80%+
              > with no packing on the first run. Ken is correct about the separate
              > cooling line. I have found that you need to have more flow to the
              > product condenser than you need for the reflux tube. If you plumb it
              > all in line it takes a lot of heat to overcome the reflux cooling to
              > push the vapor past. By doing so you start getting tails pretty
              > quick. As for the water jacket around the top, it will probably work
              > just not as well as the through tube and you could also plumb it in
              > line as it will need more flow to be effective.
              >
              > Mason

              SOunds Good,
              so your saying that My one 1/4" tube will be fine if I go through
              f=right below the outtake,
              OR did you mean the bigger copper I was speaking of, I fear that I
              will mess up my rig by drilling a hole in top. but thats what you gots
              to do.. ALso I just asked jim the same. if your reflux tube is on a
              different source Couldn't you just turn it off after a good 2-3 hours
              of refluxing and then let vapors go by with no problems. Or do you
              always leave it on and just try to regulate so that it heats up a
              little. OR do you just turn your heat source up and get the vapors
              past.. this I don't think is right. I think this way would be how you
              get to tails to early.. Hope i am close. sorry to bother you guys with
              something I should beable to figure out on my own. Man thats LAzy huh/
              thanks Mason as always Uncle Jesse
            • rye_junkie
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 2 8:08 AM

                > SOunds Good,
                > so your saying that My one 1/4" tube will be fine if I go through
                > f=right below the outtake,
                > OR did you mean the bigger copper I was speaking of, I fear that I
                > will mess up my rig by drilling a hole in top. but thats what you gots
                > to do.. ALso I just asked jim the same. if your reflux tube is on a
                > different source Couldn't you just turn it off after a good 2-3 hours
                > of refluxing and then let vapors go by with no problems. Or do you
                > always leave it on and just try to regulate so that it heats up a
                > little. OR do you just turn your heat source up and get the vapors
                > past.. this I don't think is right. I think this way would be how you
                > get to tails to early.. Hope i am close. sorry to bother you guys with
                > something I should beable to figure out on my own. Man thats LAzy huh/
                > thanks Mason as always Uncle Jesse

                Jesse,
                With this type of coolant management system You control the amount of
                reflux by either coolant flow or by the amount of heat applied to the
                boiler for me it is usually a combination of both. The system works
                very well but most agree it is temperamental.
                Yes you can if you have separate lines cut the reflux cooling off and
                run out the tails. Be careful with this as your plastic tubing
                cooling line get very hot without water running through them. I
                usually loosen the clamp and just take them off at this phase. There
                are many ways to run this type of system for me any way. Really the
                BOK is the way to go.

                Mason
              • KM Services
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 2 11:04 AM

                  Jesse,
                  you would be better off with the through tube just under the offtake
                  on the column. I have done this and one tube works quite well. 80%+
                  with no packing on the first run. Ken is correct about the separate
                  cooling line. I have found that you need to have more flow to the
                  product condenser than you need for the reflux tube. If you plumb it
                  all in line it takes a lot of heat to overcome the reflux cooling to
                  push the vapor past. By doing so you start getting tails pretty
                  quick. As for the water jacket around the top, it will probably work
                  just not as well as the through tube and you could also plumb it in
                  line as it will need more flow to be effective.

                  Jesse,

                  One other thing to consider if you induce reflux via a through tube or coil at the top of the column is that you will need to locate a thermometer at the top of the column because you, by inducing reflux at top of the column you will be fractioning the take off and whilst with a pot still you control solely via the boiler with reflux stills the control is primarily at the head by selective temperature control and the boiler is the secondary “power” control to allow the control at the head.

                  My Pennies worth

                  Cheers Ken Mc

                • rye_junkie
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 2 11:14 AM
                    > Jesse,
                    >
                    > One other thing to consider if you induce reflux via a through tube
                    or coil
                    > at the top of the column is that you will need to locate a
                    thermometer at
                    > the top of the column because you, by inducing reflux at top of the
                    column
                    > you will be fractioning the take off and whilst with a pot still you
                    control
                    > solely via the boiler with reflux stills the control is primarily at the
                    > head by selective temperature control and the boiler is the secondary
                    > "power" control to allow the control at the head.
                    >
                    > My Pennies worth
                    >
                    > Cheers Ken Mc

                    Jesse,
                    Ken is absolutely right about the thermometer at the top of the
                    column. In fact I have 2 as I have said in other posts. One in the
                    top of the boiler and 1 at the top of the column or as is the case
                    with the BOK it is placed in the packing column 4 inches under the
                    offtake.
                    Also From earlier in this thread you asked about the through tube
                    size. I was indeed speaking of the larger size that you have. I
                    think you said 1/2". However the 1/4 may work just as well if the
                    column is made from 1" pipe as i think you said yours was.

                    Mason
                  • Jesse
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 2 11:40 AM
                      Most Greatful sir,
                      I will go ahead and look Over the bok again just to see what it is
                      all about.. Plus I am going to hold off and I think I will just run
                      my 20L the way it was set up already, My thoughts were it was going
                      to be simple to get the outerjacket cooling on my rig. Now ITs a
                      whole other level. since I need to drill and run it through the
                      colunm like it should be. when this whole idea started I seem the one
                      model that had the same deal. Coil on outside. It says that it was
                      producing 92%Abv but ol well Uncle Jesse's won't be, Plus I don't
                      want a dang doubler, I feel that this is the only reason that I get a
                      purity thats pretty high. but At the same time I think alot of my
                      product is left in the doubler. Its a total toss up./. I will figure
                      something out, I just need to read some more, thanks so much for your
                      help though.. Uncle Jesse

                      > Jesse,
                      > With this type of coolant management system You control the amount
                      of
                      > reflux by either coolant flow or by the amount of heat applied to
                      the
                      > boiler for me it is usually a combination of both. The system works
                      > very well but most agree it is temperamental.
                      > Yes you can if you have separate lines cut the reflux cooling off
                      and
                      > run out the tails. Be careful with this as your plastic tubing
                      > cooling line get very hot without water running through them. I
                      > usually loosen the clamp and just take them off at this phase.
                      There
                      > are many ways to run this type of system for me any way. Really the
                      > BOK is the way to go.
                      >
                      > Mason

                    • KM Services
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 2 11:42 AM

                        Jesse

                        Jesse,

                        You were looking for barrels try this link

                        http://www.milehidistilling.com/

                        It is great looking site has everything there for the distiller and think it in the USA

                        Cheers Ken Mc

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 2 12:13 PM
                          You also might want to check out Brewhaus:
                          http://www.brewhaus.com/Oak_Kegs_s/23.htm

                          The prices are competitive and both are reputable suppliers -
                          however, I do like the idea of having 3 different 5 liter oak barrels
                          for 140.97, in case you want to age different liquors or dont have
                          enough to fill up a 5 gallon one. Brewhaus is also having a sale now
                          though... Good pick Ken.

                          Vino es Veritas,
                          Jim.

                          <km_services@...> wrote:

                          > Jesse
                          >

                          > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
                          s=97359714/grpId=468252/grpspId=1705041694/msgId=

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 2 12:33 PM
                            Another reason I love the idea of having 3 different barrels is that
                            you can set up a continuous aging process, as in the way they age
                            Solera Sherry. This is a process of moving the oldest aged liquor into
                            the lowest barrels and adding the new white dog to the upper barrel.

                            In this way you will have a contiuous supply of aged hootch!!!..
                            See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solera

                            Vino es Veritas,
                            Jim.

                            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                            > You also might want to check out Brewhaus:
                            > http://www.brewhaus.com/Oak_Kegs_s/23.htm
                            >
                            > The prices are competitive and both are reputable suppliers -
                            > however, I do like the idea of having 3 different 5 liter oak barrels
                            > for 140.97, in case you want to age different liquors or dont have
                            > enough to fill up a 5 gallon one. Brewhaus is also having a sale now
                            > though... Good pick Ken.
                            >
                            > Vino es Veritas,
                            > Jim.
                          • daddyman00126
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 2 2:28 PM
                              I need a definiation. What is White Dog?

                              The best for last
                              BILL1BURP

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 2 2:41 PM
                                Welp, In the canine world its usually a small poodle, but in ol' timers
                                moonshining lingo, it the stuff that comes out of the still thats clear.

                                Then when you age it, it become brown.... Got it :):).

                                (Somewhat related to "Hair of the dog that bit you - that you need to
                                drink te next morning...)

                                Vino es Veritas,
                                Jim.

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
                                <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

                                > I need a definiation. What is White Dog?
                                >
                                > The best for last
                                > BILL1BURP
                              • daddyman00126
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 2 2:57 PM
                                  Thanks Jim

                                  I have one more question. I have been reading the website
                                  homedistillers.org. Now I am ready for my first book. I was thinking
                                  of the "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" or there is this one "Making
                                  Pure Corn Whiskey by Ian Smiley BSc" Also I thought about Riku's book
                                  but is that for more of an advanced hobbest?

                                  To many to choose and not enough money to buy them all. So I guess I
                                  am looking for something that will not hit the commercial side of
                                  this hobby to much but yet something that will give me plans,
                                  recipes, step by step.

                                  What do you think my first book should be.

                                  The best for last
                                  BILL1BURP

                                  <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                  > Welp, In the canine world its usually a small poodle, but in ol'
                                  timers
                                  > moonshining lingo, it the stuff that comes out of the still thats
                                  clear.

                                  > Then when you age it, it become brown.... Got it :):).
                                  >
                                  > (Somewhat related to "Hair of the dog that bit you - that you need
                                  > drink te next morning...)
                                  >
                                  > Vino es Veritas,
                                  > Jim.
                                  >
                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
                                  > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I need a definiation. What is White Dog?
                                  > >
                                  > > The best for last
                                  > > BILL1BURP

                                • rye_junkie
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 2 3:56 PM
                                    <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks Jim
                                    >
                                    > I have one more question. I have been reading the website
                                    > homedistillers.org. Now I am ready for my first book. I was thinking
                                    > of the "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" or there is this one "Making
                                    > Pure Corn Whiskey by Ian Smiley BSc" Also I thought about Riku's book
                                    > but is that for more of an advanced hobbest?
                                    >
                                    > To many to choose and not enough money to buy them all. So I guess I
                                    > am looking for something that will not hit the commercial side of
                                    > this hobby to much but yet something that will give me plans,
                                    > recipes, step by step.
                                    >
                                    > What do you think my first book should be.
                                    >
                                    > The best for last
                                    > BILL1BURP

                                    Bill I would highly recommend the Alaskan bootleggers bible. It has a
                                    vast amount of recipes for Beer, wine and shine using everything from
                                    carrots to traditional corn and barley, and also alot of plain old
                                    interesting info. He also gives alot of instruction on how to build
                                    practical useful equipment. I also have Smileys book. It is also very
                                    good and has very detailed instructions but gets pretty technical at
                                    times. The only plan in that book is for a offset head reflux still
                                    that attaches to a hot water heater.
                                    I own five or 6 books on our hobby. The one I pick up the most is the
                                    ABB. Just my opinion.

                                    Mason
                                  • morganfield1
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 2 4:33 PM
                                      Hey Bill,

                                      I have not read the "ABB", but I hear it is very good. I have read
                                      Riku's book,"Designing and Building Automatic Stills" and it is very
                                      good, also. I believe it does assume a certain level of knowledge,
                                      but it does start out with the basic principles with some basic
                                      designs, and goes on from there. His work on ARC and E-ARC is
                                      facinating reading. I have also just finished "The Compleat
                                      Distiller" by Nixon and McCaw (the "Mikes") and it, also is very
                                      good, but much more indepth, I believe. I just finished chapter 8
                                      (the infamous chapter 8) a couple of nights ago, and by brain still
                                      hurts! I think my next volume will be Ian Smiley's book, but that
                                      will have to wait till next month! HTH

                                      Tip one, Morgan

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 2 7:48 PM
                                        Ol man, Just started my 20Liter run about 2 1/2 hours ago, I think that
                                        I am In my Heart runs as of now.. It started at 85%Abv for the heads
                                        and Now it is running around 75% Abv. SO I think that I am In my
                                        hearts. I will continue to collect till 55%abv. I won't be running a
                                        second run as I am Collecting very slow right now/ My burnner is on
                                        warm Not low. and the whole rig is stablized at 182 by my Thermometer,
                                        Its a analog therm. So I know its not right.. this is where it is
                                        through all the other runs,, So I went with it,(never calabrated it)
                                        anyways all is well, Just went to do a small taste test and Yuck boy
                                        its nasty, I wonder what the h*ll happen. This batch has a super strong
                                        After taste that bleeds into your mouth, Not sure how to explain. But
                                        its nasty. The recipe that I used is the only one I know. Its the
                                        cornflake wash.. and My rig is still the same, 2 foot column with the
                                        thumper(doubler)- Nothing has changed. So I was wondering if There is
                                        any other aspects I need to consider,, OL MAYBE its the yeast, this
                                        will be the first batch with the new yeast, Dag IS that it? EC1118 Do
                                        I need to carbon polish? Not sure Kinda lost. with the wash I thought
                                        that this one was for Netural spirits, If not thats what I was going
                                        for. Tis why I was going to rebuild to reflux. or both THanks again
                                        Guys,, Uncle Jesse

                                      • KM Services
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 2 8:01 PM

                                          Mate,

                                          Carbon filtering it will get rid of those off smells and tastes personally however clean the grog smells to me I always carbon filter “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. Most of the bourbon in the States is carbon treated so are Vodka’s etc for that reason

                                          Cheers Ken Mc

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 2 8:15 PM
                                            wrote:

                                            > Mate,
                                            >
                                            > Carbon filtering it will get rid of those off smells and tastes
                                            personally
                                            > however clean the grog smells to me I always carbon filter "An ounce
                                            of
                                            > prevention is worth a pound of cure". Most of the bourbon in the
                                            States is
                                            > carbon treated so are Vodka's etc for that reason
                                            >
                                            > Cheers Ken Mc
                                            >

                                            >I Feared this, THis is the only thing that I don;t have,, Active
                                            Carbon. Great,, Thanks though, Uncle Jesse

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 3 12:05 AM
                                              Okey, another few dumb questions.

                                              This is the first run, correct? So its a stripping run right?
                                              So first, why are you only collecting till 55% abv and leaving all
                                              that good alcohol to waste?

                                              Then, what do you mean your not going to do a second run? Does that
                                              mean your not going to do a spirits run, and why not?

                                              Finally, why did you use corn flakes instead of rice krispies for
                                              neutral alcohol - didn't i tell you to read Bill's Rice Krispie
                                              recipe thats in the Info base??

                                              Both the rice krispies and corn flakes recipes I've made (about 20
                                              times now (using the same EC-1118), never had any bad flavors and
                                              never even needed polishing.
                                              Let me know these things.

                                              Vino es Veritas,
                                              Jim.

                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse" <carolinacrisp@...>
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 3 12:20 AM
                                                Ummmm Ken,
                                                You have mis-spoketh about something very near and dear to my
                                                heart....

                                                Bourbon by law, CANNOT be polished in any means or fashion, in any
                                                way at all!!!. Otherwise, it cannot be called Bourbon.

                                                This is the reason why we here, have Bourbons and we have Tennessee
                                                Whiskeys, which are made with the same ingredients...

                                                However, Tennessee Whiskey is filtered through a thick bed of Sugar
                                                Maple Charcoal - NOT activated carbon which takes flavors away. The
                                                maple charcoal adds flavors....

                                                This process is called the Lincoln County process:
                                                "The Lincoln County Process is a process used in making Tennessee
                                                whiskeys such as Jack Daniel's and George Dickel. The whiskey is
                                                filtered through a column of charcoal chips before going into the
                                                casks for aging. The process is named for Lincoln County, Tennessee,
                                                which was the location of Daniel's distillery at the time of its
                                                establishment; subsequent redrawing of county lines means that
                                                neither distillery currently using the process is located in its
                                                namesake county.

                                                The charcoal used by Jack Daniel's is created on site, from stacks of
                                                two by two inch sugar maple timbers called ricks. They are primed
                                                with 140 proof Jack Daniel's, and then ignited under massive hoods
                                                that help prevent sparks. Once they have reached the char state, the
                                                ricks are sprayed with water to prevent complete combustion. The
                                                resulting charcoal is then run through a grinder to reduce it to
                                                consistent bean-size pellets. These are then packed into 10 foot
                                                vats, where they are used to filter impurities from the 140 proof
                                                whiskey, after which the whiskey is reduced with water to 125 proof
                                                for aging. This process lends a darker color and "richer" taste.

                                                The George Dickel distillery uses shallower vats, chills its whiskey
                                                before it enters the vats, and allows the whiskey to fill the vats
                                                instead of just trickling it through. It's said that these
                                                modifications allow more benefit to be derived from the filtering
                                                process.

                                                The Lincoln County Process is what separates "Tennessee Whiskey"
                                                from "Bourbon". To be a "Bourbon", it is required that, among other
                                                things, the whiskey cannot be artificially flavored or colored any
                                                time after the fermenting process."

                                                Now, do you see that they cannot be called "Bourbon"? :):):).

                                                Vino es Veritas,
                                                Jim.

                                                <km_services@...> wrote:

                                                > Mate,
                                                >
                                                > Carbon filtering it will get rid of those off smells and tastes
                                                personally
                                                > however clean the grog smells to me I always carbon filter "An
                                                ounce of
                                                > prevention is worth a pound of cure". Most of the bourbon in the
                                                States is
                                                > carbon treated so are Vodka's etc for that reason
                                                >
                                                > Cheers Ken Mc
                                              • KM Services
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 3 12:47 AM

                                                  Oooppps sorry Buddy maybe I phrased it wrong but there is charcoal involved and I now more informed…thank you Jim for putting me straight on that

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 3 12:56 AM
                                                    Thats okey my friend,
                                                    Confused the heck out of me at first too.... But being an advid Bourbon
                                                    drinker, had to make that clarification:).

                                                    "For every action, there is (a sometimes greater) opposite and equal
                                                    criticism."

                                                    Vino es Veritas,
                                                    Jim.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 3 8:27 AM
                                                      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                                      > Okey, another few dumb questions.
                                                      >
                                                      > This is the first run, correct? So its a stripping run right?
                                                      > So first, why are you only collecting till 55% abv and leaving all
                                                      > that good alcohol to waste?
                                                      >
                                                      > Then, what do you mean your not going to do a second run? Does
                                                      that
                                                      > mean your not going to do a spirits run, and why not?
                                                      >
                                                      > Finally, why did you use corn flakes instead of rice krispies for
                                                      > neutral alcohol - didn't i tell you to read Bill's Rice Krispie
                                                      > recipe thats in the Info base??
                                                      >
                                                      > Both the rice krispies and corn flakes recipes I've made (about 20
                                                      > times now (using the same EC-1118), never had any bad flavors and
                                                      > never even needed polishing.
                                                      > Let me know these things.
                                                      >
                                                      > Vino es Veritas,
                                                      > Jim.

                                                      None of your questions are dumb Jim.
                                                      ANyway, I had already mix the wash before you told me to go to bills
                                                      thing,(remember) The next one I will do that way though, I know your
                                                      busy so I want hold it against ya,LOL anyways I collect all the
                                                      way down to like 30% but its not to drink.. I maybe doing the whole
                                                      thing wrong/. but last time I ended up with almost nothing out of 5
                                                      gallons after doing the spirits run. And It tasted about the same as
                                                      it did the first trip through.. But here is the plan as of now a
                                                      before this message. I was going to wait till I had a few runs to
                                                      toss together, SO that it fills up my pot after duluting it. I do
                                                      have on standy a Few other runs that were made of the same recipe.
                                                      And so i thought I could mix these and do One big spirit run, Thats
                                                      whY I posted that I will only be doing this run once. As I ran it low
                                                      and slow. (it almost tasted and Smell and Was clearer than all my
                                                      previous runs. I collected a rate of maybe one drip/s From 6:00PM to
                                                      4:00 am this morning. Really slow, and it work out, I may need to
                                                      still go with the plan, For mix all together. As I am not sure I
                                                      want these in there, I ended up with 4 quarts/1 gallon of good
                                                      product, that is 75%abv On, then of course I have my heads and
                                                      tails,, Not much there though/. Thinking running slow and go really
                                                      helps. But None the less. I will go ahead an mix it in there too.
                                                      Delute it down to 40%abv and Go with it... What ever I need to do..
                                                      I also am a bit confused as I read a Homedistillers, Like half the
                                                      guys only do one run and then some belive that they need 2-3 runs,
                                                      Not bragging on my rig or nothing by no means. but my heads are
                                                      always in the high 80 or low 90s, The highest that came out so far
                                                      what 91%Abv, That I assumed to be the heads of the batch, as my temp
                                                      was not all the way to the normal distilling area, Then when it is
                                                      stable I usasully get the 75% for the rest of the night, till Its
                                                      over in the tails. and Temp will rise again.
                                                      But if you think that this will greatly help by running All runs
                                                      Twice I will continue to do so.. I only stopped after the first few
                                                      times it really did change the product that much, HecK I couldn't
                                                      really tell the differents.. But That also was when I wasn't familiar
                                                      with my rig,, SO this in turn could have played a big part.
                                                      So Ask all the question you need, because there is no stupid
                                                      question in my book.LOL
                                                      I will try the rice krispy one this go around, Just got my 4
                                                      carboys and all my other stuff from the WEEKEND BREWERS Great place
                                                      great service,, I just bought like 150.00 worth of materials and
                                                      yeast, so I will be in heaven for a while.
                                                      starting your recipe and two sweetfeeds.,, Its going to be great.,Ok
                                                      I rambled enough of mindless thoughs. Thanks for your help Uncle
                                                      Jesse