Re: Aerator

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
      Me thinks I is just going to stick with me good ol' 9.99 air matress
      pump for aerating the mashes (plastic tube tied out at one end with
      holes punched in it, and a good ol' brick to hold it down under), and
      a leave da aging stuff to them angel's (probably some ol' distillers
      that a be trying to aerate dang high potency alcohol while a smokin'
      their tobacci) - especially figurin' I cant even pronounciate the
      dang name of that thing-a-magig...

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
        Oh, BTW people,

        If you ever looked at how an electric air pump for matresses or one
        of them thar little car vacuums work, with a fan forcing the air
        through them, you might figure out its the same principle as a
        roatating gear moving air through a tube that costs one heck of a lot
        more, and wont add any off-flavors - and by geezzz, i can even
        pronounce the name lol... (but i have been criticized before for
        using an air pump :):):). Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
        well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
        tools ya had to buy...

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        <yourkeyturner@...> wrote:

        > Search 'Peristaltic pump' on Ebay...Found em starting from $20.00
        all
        > the way up to $1700! I suppose a large one would not be needed as
        it is
        > only being used to "aerate" a few liters of product. I like the
        idea of
        > rapidly speeding up the process. Will have to read and read and read
        > some more on it. Any thoughts on min. flow rate?
        >
        > KEYturner

      • daddyman00126
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

          Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same price
          as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
          and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
          (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
          T which I didnt use.

          Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
          down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
          extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
          didnt mind buying them for future use.

          I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
          went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
          off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.

          Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
          posting reading. What is the brick for?

          The best for last
          BILL1BURP

          ____snip____

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
            To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
            little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
            on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
            works as well :):):).

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"

            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

            ____snip____
            Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
            > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
            > tools ya had to buy...
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            > Jim.
          • daddyman00126
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
              Hell if I knew that I could have got out cheap. I have about 2ft of
              chemical resistance tubing that is real flexable. I bought about 6ft
              of it for my run off into my collection vessel.

              Live and learn.

              BILL1BURP

              <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

              > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
              > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
              > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang
              copper
              > works as well :):):).
              >
              > Vino es Veritas,
              > Jim.
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
              > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
              >
              > Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same
              price
              > as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
              > and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
              > (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
              > T which I didnt use.
              >
              > Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
              > down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
              > extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
              > didnt mind buying them for future use.
              >
              > I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
              > went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
              > off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.
              >
              > Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
              > posting reading. What is the brick for?
              >
              > The best for last
              > BILL1BURP
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
              > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
              >
              > ____snip____
              > Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
              > > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
              > > tools ya had to buy...
              > >
              > > Vino es Veritas,
              > > Jim.

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                business :)

                Cheers, Riku

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008

                  Sorry Riku,

                  Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so - and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing process to them angels and mother nature lol.

                  But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes, im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like Harry) and stuff that fall into it,  will add enough local characteristics hehehe :):).

                  Vino es Veritas,
                  Jim.

                  (Dang Riku, had to look that one up, and ya didnt even give me a link - your getting as bad as Harry :x:x:x.)  Regards, Jim.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                  > I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                  > add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                  > of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                  > business :)
                  >
                  > Cheers, Riku
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                  > jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                  > > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                  > > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
                  > > works as well :):):).
                  > >
                  > > Vino es Veritas,
                  > > Jim.

                • morayman98
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                    <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                    But is it wrapped in FOOD GRADE plastic? Morayman........

                    > Sorry Riku,
                    >
                    > Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so -
                    > and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing
                    > process to them angels and mother nature lol.
                    >
                    > But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes,
                    > im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like
                    > Harry) and stuff that fall into it, will add enough local
                    > characteristics hehehe :):).
                    >
                    > Vino es Veritas,
                    > Jim.
                  • morganfield1
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                      I think they call that the "House Blend", don't they, Hehe.

                      Actually, I was trying to think of a good name for my next brew,
                      "Old Brick", humm...

                      Thick as a brick, Morgan

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Ummmm, me likes - "Thick as a Brick" better :):):)>
                        Vino es Veritas,
                        Jim.

                        And yes all, it is wrapped in Saran Wrap - Food Grade Plastic lol.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                          And, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I mean, let's face it,
                          you only need to expose air to the aging spirit in very small amounts
                          once a month or so (that should stir things up a bit!). I age my
                          spirits (deluted to 50%, not "rocket fuel") in 600 ml glass jars.
                          Once a month, I open the jars and leave the lids off for an hour.
                          Then I put the lids back on and give them a good shake. That should
                          do the trick. There is debate on whether aging spirit draws air thru
                          the staves of a barrel due to contraction of the spirit in the cold
                          weather, the barrel shrinks, also. I am of the thought that it does,
                          but that is niether here nor there. Research has shown that air
                          permeates the staves and in that way exposes spirit to air. Either
                          way, it is a small amount.

                          Tip a brick, Morgan