Re: Stater kit... Sort of.

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
      Note:

      Not to mention all the vitamins and minerals included for those
      yeasties (read ingredients) - also most brands of corn flakes come
      with Malt flavoring or extract :).

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@>
      wrote:

      > -
      > Thx Mason. I think I'm putting the horse/cart into play here.I want
      > to use corn in my recipe and with this in mind, do I need to
      > substitute corn for the amount of sugar and so on. Bakers yeast! Can
      > I steal this from my wife's cooking supply? I'm ready to go in the
      am
      > If anyone can add thx.

      Greg,
      You can do this a couple of ways. The easiest is to crush up a large
      box of corn flakes in a blender or food processor almost to powder. I
      prefer a blender so I can blend with water. If you just add the
      powdered corn flakes to the water they will clump. Not really any
      need to cook but you can if you wish. The other is to use corn meal
      but this method really requires the use of malted barley to be
      effective and easy in my opinion. As for yeast just make sure it is
      "Active dry" not the "Rapid Rise" stuff. Flieshmans or red star are
      fine. I prefer red star. The corn flakes may sound a little "flaky"
      but they work nicely, They are cheap and transfer a lot of corn
      flavor into the finished product. You may want to consider not doing
      this in your carboy at this point now though. Run down to walmart and
      get yourself a Sterilite storage container and use it for your
      fermenter. You will find it worth the 6 bucks. The brand of plastic
      container is safe for our hobby and a fraction of the cost of a brew
      shop fermenter.

      Mason
    • rye_junkie
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

        > Note:
        >
        > Not to mention all the vitamins and minerals included for those
        > yeasties (read ingredients) - also most brands of corn flakes come
        > with Malt flavoring or extract :).
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        > Jim.

        Yea, I didnt mention that because the molasses also carry a lot of
        nutrients. Also greg, you would use the cornflakes instead of the
        crispies now. I have tried this recipe with and with out the Grandmas
        Molasses and I definitely prefer it with.

        Mason
        Gettin' thirsty just talkin' 'bout it.
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
          Thanks guy's.I do beleive that I'm more of a hands on type and once I
          see it in action I will get the whole picture and then my ?'s will
          thin out (hopefully for you) :)
          Greg

          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

          > Note:
          >
          > Not to mention all the vitamins and minerals included for those
          > yeasties (read ingredients) - also most brands of corn flakes come
          > with Malt flavoring or extract :).
          >
          > Vino es Veritas,
          > Jim.
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > -
          > > Thx Mason. I think I'm putting the horse/cart into play here.I
          want
          > > to use corn in my recipe and with this in mind, do I need to
          > > substitute corn for the amount of sugar and so on. Bakers yeast!
          Can
          > > I steal this from my wife's cooking supply? I'm ready to go in
          the
          > am
          > > If anyone can add thx.
          >

          > Greg,
          > You can do this a couple of ways. The easiest is to crush up a large
          > box of corn flakes in a blender or food processor almost to powder.
          > prefer a blender so I can blend with water. If you just add the
          > powdered corn flakes to the water they will clump. Not really any
          > need to cook but you can if you wish. The other is to use corn meal
          > but this method really requires the use of malted barley to be
          > effective and easy in my opinion. As for yeast just make sure it is
          > "Active dry" not the "Rapid Rise" stuff. Flieshmans or red star are
          > fine. I prefer red star. The corn flakes may sound a little "flaky"
          > but they work nicely, They are cheap and transfer a lot of corn
          > flavor into the finished product. You may want to consider not doing
          > this in your carboy at this point now though. Run down to walmart
          and
          > get yourself a Sterilite storage container and use it for your
          > fermenter. You will find it worth the 6 bucks. The brand of plastic
          > container is safe for our hobby and a fraction of the cost of a brew
          > shop fermenter.
          >
          > Mason

        • rye_junkie
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...> wrote:

            > Thanks guy's.I do beleive that I'm more of a hands on type and once I
            > see it in action I will get the whole picture and then my ?'s will
            > thin out (hopefully for you) :)
            > Greg

            We don't mind really.

            Mason