Re: Aerator

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008

      Now Now Riku,

      Doth me suspect a hint of sarcasm in which thy speaketh???
      Heck, I had no frggin clue what a Peristaltic pump was either....

      Leave it to Harry to come up with something out of the ordinary - (wonder if there be any Lesbian types of peristaltic pumps:x - cant even pronounce the dang thing).

      But it will be going into the Info base for future edification of other less fortunate members :).

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

      > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search something
      > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
      > to excellent information?
      >
      > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
      > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
      >
      > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
      > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
        I think we are spoilt. I was actually surprised not to see a
        detailed information and analysis of the subject in Harry's post.
        You just start to take these things for granted after a while ;)

        Cheers, Riku

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
          <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search
          something
          > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
          > to excellent information?
          >
          > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
          > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
          >
          > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
          > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
          >
          > Cheers, Riku

          Heh, got yer attention , eh Riku? <G>

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
            You certainly did Harry. Unfortunately they seem to be big and
            expensive machines or alternatively they have relatively low pumping
            capacity. Still, if I could find a proper roller to attach to a
            geardrive or electric motor...

            Cheers, Riku

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
            > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search
            > something
            > > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
            > > to excellent information?
            > >
            > > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
            > > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
            > >
            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
            > >
            > > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
            > > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
            > >
            > > Cheers, Riku
            >

            > Heh, got yer attention , eh Riku? <G>
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • yourkeyturner
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
              Search 'Peristaltic pump' on Ebay...Found em starting from $20.00 all
              the way up to $1700! I suppose a large one would not be needed as it is
              only being used to "aerate" a few liters of product. I like the idea of
              rapidly speeding up the process. Will have to read and read and read
              some more on it. Any thoughts on min. flow rate?

              KEYturner

              > You certainly did Harry. Unfortunately they seem to be big and
              > expensive machines or alternatively they have relatively low pumping
              > capacity. Still, if I could find a proper roller to attach to a
              > geardrive or electric motor...
              >
              > Cheers, Riku

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                Aquarium air pumps usually provide several liters per minute. Those
                cheap things from e-bay are usually dosing pumps and will provide few
                milliliters per minute. There are bigger ones but price and size goes
                up considerably, or so it seems. Let me know if you find the opposite.

                Cheers, Riku

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yourkeyturner"

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Me thinks I is just going to stick with me good ol' 9.99 air matress
                  pump for aerating the mashes (plastic tube tied out at one end with
                  holes punched in it, and a good ol' brick to hold it down under), and
                  a leave da aging stuff to them angel's (probably some ol' distillers
                  that a be trying to aerate dang high potency alcohol while a smokin'
                  their tobacci) - especially figurin' I cant even pronounciate the
                  dang name of that thing-a-magig...

                  Vino es Veritas,
                  Jim.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Oh, BTW people,

                    If you ever looked at how an electric air pump for matresses or one
                    of them thar little car vacuums work, with a fan forcing the air
                    through them, you might figure out its the same principle as a
                    roatating gear moving air through a tube that costs one heck of a lot
                    more, and wont add any off-flavors - and by geezzz, i can even
                    pronounce the name lol... (but i have been criticized before for
                    using an air pump :):):). Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                    well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                    tools ya had to buy...

                    Vino es Veritas,
                    Jim.

                    <yourkeyturner@...> wrote:

                    > Search 'Peristaltic pump' on Ebay...Found em starting from $20.00
                    all
                    > the way up to $1700! I suppose a large one would not be needed as
                    it is
                    > only being used to "aerate" a few liters of product. I like the
                    idea of
                    > rapidly speeding up the process. Will have to read and read and read
                    > some more on it. Any thoughts on min. flow rate?
                    >
                    > KEYturner

                  • daddyman00126
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                      Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same price
                      as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
                      and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
                      (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
                      T which I didnt use.

                      Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
                      down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
                      extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
                      didnt mind buying them for future use.

                      I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
                      went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
                      off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.

                      Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
                      posting reading. What is the brick for?

                      The best for last
                      BILL1BURP

                      ____snip____

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                        To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                        little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                        on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
                        works as well :):):).

                        Vino es Veritas,
                        Jim.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"

                        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                        ____snip____
                        Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                        > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                        > tools ya had to buy...
                        >
                        > Vino es Veritas,
                        > Jim.
                      • daddyman00126
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                          Hell if I knew that I could have got out cheap. I have about 2ft of
                          chemical resistance tubing that is real flexable. I bought about 6ft
                          of it for my run off into my collection vessel.

                          Live and learn.

                          BILL1BURP

                          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                          > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                          > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                          > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang
                          copper
                          > works as well :):):).
                          >
                          > Vino es Veritas,
                          > Jim.
                          >
                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
                          > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
                          >
                          > Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same
                          price
                          > as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
                          > and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
                          > (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
                          > T which I didnt use.
                          >
                          > Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
                          > down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
                          > extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
                          > didnt mind buying them for future use.
                          >
                          > I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
                          > went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
                          > off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.
                          >
                          > Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
                          > posting reading. What is the brick for?
                          >
                          > The best for last
                          > BILL1BURP
                          >
                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                          > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                          >
                          > ____snip____
                          > Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                          > > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                          > > tools ya had to buy...
                          > >
                          > > Vino es Veritas,
                          > > Jim.

                        • abbababbaccc
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                            I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                            add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                            of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                            business :)

                            Cheers, Riku

                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008

                              Sorry Riku,

                              Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so - and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing process to them angels and mother nature lol.

                              But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes, im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like Harry) and stuff that fall into it,  will add enough local characteristics hehehe :):).

                              Vino es Veritas,
                              Jim.

                              (Dang Riku, had to look that one up, and ya didnt even give me a link - your getting as bad as Harry :x:x:x.)  Regards, Jim.

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                              > I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                              > add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                              > of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                              > business :)
                              >
                              > Cheers, Riku
                              >
                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                              > jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
                              > >
                              > > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                              > > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                              > > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
                              > > works as well :):):).
                              > >
                              > > Vino es Veritas,
                              > > Jim.

                            • morayman98
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                                But is it wrapped in FOOD GRADE plastic? Morayman........

                                > Sorry Riku,
                                >
                                > Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so -
                                > and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing
                                > process to them angels and mother nature lol.
                                >
                                > But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes,
                                > im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like
                                > Harry) and stuff that fall into it, will add enough local
                                > characteristics hehehe :):).
                                >
                                > Vino es Veritas,
                                > Jim.
                              • morganfield1
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                  I think they call that the "House Blend", don't they, Hehe.

                                  Actually, I was trying to think of a good name for my next brew,
                                  "Old Brick", humm...

                                  Thick as a brick, Morgan

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                    Ummmm, me likes - "Thick as a Brick" better :):):)>
                                    Vino es Veritas,
                                    Jim.

                                    And yes all, it is wrapped in Saran Wrap - Food Grade Plastic lol.

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                      And, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I mean, let's face it,
                                      you only need to expose air to the aging spirit in very small amounts
                                      once a month or so (that should stir things up a bit!). I age my
                                      spirits (deluted to 50%, not "rocket fuel") in 600 ml glass jars.
                                      Once a month, I open the jars and leave the lids off for an hour.
                                      Then I put the lids back on and give them a good shake. That should
                                      do the trick. There is debate on whether aging spirit draws air thru
                                      the staves of a barrel due to contraction of the spirit in the cold
                                      weather, the barrel shrinks, also. I am of the thought that it does,
                                      but that is niether here nor there. Research has shown that air
                                      permeates the staves and in that way exposes spirit to air. Either
                                      way, it is a small amount.

                                      Tip a brick, Morgan