Re: Aerator

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
      <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

      > Or you could have a closed circulating air pump system with some 20-
      30
      > liters air reservoir. That should be enough for oxygenation and the
      > rolling action of aeration should increase the oak/spirits contact.
      > The problem I see is in this one is condensation inside the system.
      > Especially pump diaphragm can leach off flavors.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

      Peristaltic pumping solves both leaching and condensation.

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
        What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search something
        ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
        to excellent information?

        Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
        I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

        I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
        here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.

        Cheers, Riku

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008

          Now Now Riku,

          Doth me suspect a hint of sarcasm in which thy speaketh???
          Heck, I had no frggin clue what a Peristaltic pump was either....

          Leave it to Harry to come up with something out of the ordinary - (wonder if there be any Lesbian types of peristaltic pumps:x - cant even pronounce the dang thing).

          But it will be going into the Info base for future edification of other less fortunate members :).

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search something
          > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
          > to excellent information?
          >
          > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
          > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
          >
          > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
          > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
          >
          > Cheers, Riku

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
            I think we are spoilt. I was actually surprised not to see a
            detailed information and analysis of the subject in Harry's post.
            You just start to take these things for granted after a while ;)

            Cheers, Riku

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
              <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

              > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search
              something
              > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
              > to excellent information?
              >
              > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
              > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
              >
              > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
              > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
              >
              > Cheers, Riku

              Heh, got yer attention , eh Riku? <G>

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                You certainly did Harry. Unfortunately they seem to be big and
                expensive machines or alternatively they have relatively low pumping
                capacity. Still, if I could find a proper roller to attach to a
                geardrive or electric motor...

                Cheers, Riku

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                > >
                > > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search
                > something
                > > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
                > > to excellent information?
                > >
                > > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
                > > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
                > >
                > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
                > >
                > > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
                > > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
                > >
                > > Cheers, Riku
                >

                > Heh, got yer attention , eh Riku? <G>
                >
                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

              • yourkeyturner
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Search 'Peristaltic pump' on Ebay...Found em starting from $20.00 all
                  the way up to $1700! I suppose a large one would not be needed as it is
                  only being used to "aerate" a few liters of product. I like the idea of
                  rapidly speeding up the process. Will have to read and read and read
                  some more on it. Any thoughts on min. flow rate?

                  KEYturner

                  > You certainly did Harry. Unfortunately they seem to be big and
                  > expensive machines or alternatively they have relatively low pumping
                  > capacity. Still, if I could find a proper roller to attach to a
                  > geardrive or electric motor...
                  >
                  > Cheers, Riku

                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Aquarium air pumps usually provide several liters per minute. Those
                    cheap things from e-bay are usually dosing pumps and will provide few
                    milliliters per minute. There are bigger ones but price and size goes
                    up considerably, or so it seems. Let me know if you find the opposite.

                    Cheers, Riku

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yourkeyturner"

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Me thinks I is just going to stick with me good ol' 9.99 air matress
                      pump for aerating the mashes (plastic tube tied out at one end with
                      holes punched in it, and a good ol' brick to hold it down under), and
                      a leave da aging stuff to them angel's (probably some ol' distillers
                      that a be trying to aerate dang high potency alcohol while a smokin'
                      their tobacci) - especially figurin' I cant even pronounciate the
                      dang name of that thing-a-magig...

                      Vino es Veritas,
                      Jim.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                        Oh, BTW people,

                        If you ever looked at how an electric air pump for matresses or one
                        of them thar little car vacuums work, with a fan forcing the air
                        through them, you might figure out its the same principle as a
                        roatating gear moving air through a tube that costs one heck of a lot
                        more, and wont add any off-flavors - and by geezzz, i can even
                        pronounce the name lol... (but i have been criticized before for
                        using an air pump :):):). Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                        well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                        tools ya had to buy...

                        Vino es Veritas,
                        Jim.

                        <yourkeyturner@...> wrote:

                        > Search 'Peristaltic pump' on Ebay...Found em starting from $20.00
                        all
                        > the way up to $1700! I suppose a large one would not be needed as
                        it is
                        > only being used to "aerate" a few liters of product. I like the
                        idea of
                        > rapidly speeding up the process. Will have to read and read and read
                        > some more on it. Any thoughts on min. flow rate?
                        >
                        > KEYturner

                      • daddyman00126
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                          Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same price
                          as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
                          and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
                          (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
                          T which I didnt use.

                          Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
                          down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
                          extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
                          didnt mind buying them for future use.

                          I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
                          went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
                          off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.

                          Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
                          posting reading. What is the brick for?

                          The best for last
                          BILL1BURP

                          ____snip____

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                            To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                            little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                            on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
                            works as well :):):).

                            Vino es Veritas,
                            Jim.

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"

                            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                            ____snip____
                            Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                            > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                            > tools ya had to buy...
                            >
                            > Vino es Veritas,
                            > Jim.
                          • daddyman00126
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                              Hell if I knew that I could have got out cheap. I have about 2ft of
                              chemical resistance tubing that is real flexable. I bought about 6ft
                              of it for my run off into my collection vessel.

                              Live and learn.

                              BILL1BURP

                              <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                              > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                              > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                              > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang
                              copper
                              > works as well :):):).
                              >
                              > Vino es Veritas,
                              > Jim.
                              >
                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
                              > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
                              >
                              > Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same
                              price
                              > as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
                              > and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
                              > (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
                              > T which I didnt use.
                              >
                              > Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
                              > down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
                              > extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
                              > didnt mind buying them for future use.
                              >
                              > I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
                              > went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
                              > off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.
                              >
                              > Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
                              > posting reading. What is the brick for?
                              >
                              > The best for last
                              > BILL1BURP
                              >
                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                              > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                              >
                              > ____snip____
                              > Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                              > > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                              > > tools ya had to buy...
                              > >
                              > > Vino es Veritas,
                              > > Jim.

                            • abbababbaccc
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                                add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                                of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                                business :)

                                Cheers, Riku

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008

                                  Sorry Riku,

                                  Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so - and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing process to them angels and mother nature lol.

                                  But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes, im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like Harry) and stuff that fall into it,  will add enough local characteristics hehehe :):).

                                  Vino es Veritas,
                                  Jim.

                                  (Dang Riku, had to look that one up, and ya didnt even give me a link - your getting as bad as Harry :x:x:x.)  Regards, Jim.

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                                  > I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                                  > add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                                  > of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                                  > business :)
                                  >
                                  > Cheers, Riku
                                  >
                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                                  > jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                                  > > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                                  > > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
                                  > > works as well :):):).
                                  > >
                                  > > Vino es Veritas,
                                  > > Jim.

                                • morayman98
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                    <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                                    But is it wrapped in FOOD GRADE plastic? Morayman........

                                    > Sorry Riku,
                                    >
                                    > Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so -
                                    > and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing
                                    > process to them angels and mother nature lol.
                                    >
                                    > But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes,
                                    > im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like
                                    > Harry) and stuff that fall into it, will add enough local
                                    > characteristics hehehe :):).
                                    >
                                    > Vino es Veritas,
                                    > Jim.
                                  • morganfield1
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                      I think they call that the "House Blend", don't they, Hehe.

                                      Actually, I was trying to think of a good name for my next brew,
                                      "Old Brick", humm...

                                      Thick as a brick, Morgan

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                        Ummmm, me likes - "Thick as a Brick" better :):):)>
                                        Vino es Veritas,
                                        Jim.

                                        And yes all, it is wrapped in Saran Wrap - Food Grade Plastic lol.

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                          And, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I mean, let's face it,
                                          you only need to expose air to the aging spirit in very small amounts
                                          once a month or so (that should stir things up a bit!). I age my
                                          spirits (deluted to 50%, not "rocket fuel") in 600 ml glass jars.
                                          Once a month, I open the jars and leave the lids off for an hour.
                                          Then I put the lids back on and give them a good shake. That should
                                          do the trick. There is debate on whether aging spirit draws air thru
                                          the staves of a barrel due to contraction of the spirit in the cold
                                          weather, the barrel shrinks, also. I am of the thought that it does,
                                          but that is niether here nor there. Research has shown that air
                                          permeates the staves and in that way exposes spirit to air. Either
                                          way, it is a small amount.

                                          Tip a brick, Morgan