Aerator

  • daddyman00126
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
      I am having a hard time finding a stainless steel aerator. I found 1
      company outside of the us that sells them but am worried if they will
      ship it to me. CraftBrewer out of Australia have them. I found a place
      in California called HopTech but they want 30 bucks for just the stone.

      So do any of you fine folk know where I can get one of these stones? I
      have been using 2 aqua blue stones that are about 3 inches lone that I
      use to areate my mesh.

      Thanks for the help

      The best for last
      BILL1BURP
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
        Bill,

        Suggest you read messages 27710 - 27711 and the thread:

        Hi Ride,
        Thanks for the reply. I have read about using a aerator for aging. I
        didn't think about using a copper tube, Great idea. And my sig has
        nothing to do with this post. I stole it from someone else.
        just me

        "For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism."

        No reason to search for stainless steel - just use copper...

        Vino es Veritas, Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
        <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

        > I am having a hard time finding a stainless steel aerator. I found
        1
        > company outside of the us that sells them but am worried if they
        will
        > ship it to me. CraftBrewer out of Australia have them. I found a
        place
        > in California called HopTech but they want 30 bucks for just the
        stone.

        > So do any of you fine folk know where I can get one of these
        stones? I
        > have been using 2 aqua blue stones that are about 3 inches lone
        that I
        > use to areate my mesh.
        >
        > Thanks for the help
        >
        > The best for last
        > BILL1BURP

      • daddyman00126
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
          Thanks Jim for the insight.

          It got me started looking at other posts here on this site and on the
          advanced distillers site and this is what I came up with.

          First I want to thank Harry for this info, it will help me create a
          copper airstone without buying the SS airstone.

          _______snip_______
          You can do away with airstones altogether (they contain glues that
          dissolve in alcohol).

          1) Cut a length of tubing about 15-18 inches.
          2) Poke several hundred holes in it with a safety pin or sewing
          needle.
          3) Cut a dozen 1/2 inch lengths of 1/2 inch copper tubing for
          weights.
          4) Thread the weights onto the perforated tubing. Space the
          weights evenly over the tube length and gently hammer the weights to
          partially flatten them. Be careful, just enough to stop the weights
          from sliding. DON'T pinch the tubing.
          5) Join the ends of the tubing together with a T-piece joiner
          (available at aquarium shops).
          6) Attach the pump outlet tubing to the centre arm of the T-piece.

          VOILA! One very efficient bubbler.

          The perforated tubing must be joined back on itself to equalise the
          air pressure distribution. If used as a straight line, most of the
          holes wouldn't work.

          This little device is also a very useful 'rapid aging' tool for bulk
          spirits on oak. But watch the abv, you can lose as much as 2% PER
          DAY.
          (damn! there goes another of my little 'secrets' ;) )

          HTH

          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > Suggest you read messages 27710 - 27711 and the thread:
          >
          > Hi Ride,
          > Thanks for the reply. I have read about using a aerator for aging.
          > didn't think about using a copper tube, Great idea. And my sig has
          > nothing to do with this post. I stole it from someone else.
          > just me
          >
          > "For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism."
          >
          > No reason to search for stainless steel - just use copper...
          >
          > Vino es Veritas, Jim.

          _________snip__________
        • Trid
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
            <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Jim for the insight.
            >
            > It got me started looking at other posts here on this site and on the
            > advanced distillers site and this is what I came up with.
            >
            > First I want to thank Harry for this info, it will help me create a
            > copper airstone without buying the SS airstone.

            So far, the least expensive airstone I've found has been this one:
            http://morebeer.com/view_product/18254/102281

            Bear in mind that it requires tubing, so your best bet would be
            silicone. If that's not an option, you can get one with an attached
            stainless tube (there are various lengths). Here's their longest (36"):
            http://morebeer.com/view_product/18254/102281

            In addition to the lost spirit, not to mention safety, realize that
            you only need to aerate for a short bit (an hour or two) once a month
            (plus or minus a little). It doesn't need to occur during the entire
            duration of aging. With this in mind, you can make sure you have
            adequate (or more) ventilation during those times, and no naked flame.

            Trid
            -that whole 'common sense' thing and all
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
              Hey Trid,

              I believe Bill is talking about aearating his wash / mash - not that
              rocket fuel (me hopes :):):). And please all - remember, if your
              aerating distilled alcohol, this stuff does emit explosive fumes !!!
              So please have adequate ventilation like Harry, Pint and many others
              have said. WHY YA THINK THEY CALL IT "THE ANGEL'S SHARE" HAR HAR HAR.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...>

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
                Mash only folks for the first 5 or 6 hours to give the yeast the
                oxygen it needs to grow.

                Thanks Harry I made my first copper areator. Had to buy the tools and
                8 ft of copper tubing. I can now practice creating different styles
                of areators. It works good but I may have put too many holes in it.
                Yep had to buy a tool for that too. But now that I have the tools I
                can do more of them.

                I also found out that the lengh of the tubing from the pump to the
                copper tubing makes a difference in the pressure and how many bubbles
                come out of my new areator. So I will taking my 6ft plastic tubing
                and chop it down to about 3 foot. this should help with the pressure.

                Thanks again Harry.

                The best for last
                BILL1BURP
                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                > Hey Trid,
                >
                > I believe Bill is talking about aearating his wash / mash - not
                that
                > rocket fuel (me hopes :):):). And please all - remember, if your
                > aerating distilled alcohol, this stuff does emit explosive
                fumes !!!
                > So please have adequate ventilation like Harry, Pint and many
                others
                > have said. WHY YA THINK THEY CALL IT "THE ANGEL'S SHARE" HAR HAR
                HAR.

                > Vino es Veritas,
                > Jim.
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
                > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Jim for the insight.
                > >
                > > It got me started looking at other posts here on this site and on
                > the
                > > advanced distillers site and this is what I came up with.
                > >
                > > First I want to thank Harry for this info, it will help me create
                > > copper airstone without buying the SS airstone.
                >_____snip_____
              • gff_stwrt
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Hi, daddy and folks,

                  I have just finished reading Sherman's post on the risks
                  associated with the alcohol that 'bubbling' can put into the air.
                  And Harry's comment (below) on the percentage of alcohol that can be
                  lost.

                  So.....

                  If you want to do this (bubbling) it would be simple enough to do
                  it in a closed container, with a (big, to eliminate any back
                  pressure) hose taking the exhausted air-and-alcohol away to the
                  outside atmosphere.
                  Scientists do this sort of thing in similar situations.

                  And...

                  If you are going to do this at all often you could probably
                  incorporate some form of condenser into the exhaust line, and
                  recover the alcohol.
                  Maybe an aircooled condenser.
                  It may not be worthwhile to run a circulating pump in a
                  watercooled system; though there are some very small and inexpensive
                  pumps available...
                  and if it were to be water-cooled (it might have to be) you may
                  need to use iced water to give sufficient temperature differential...

                  Anyway this recovery idea is more of a question than an answer
                  as it is way above my level of understanding.

                  Riku? Harry? Anybody?

                  And another question; is it the oxygen in the bubbled-through air
                  that is more important, or the bubbling action itself, or is it
                  something of each?
                  Or is it even that the particular alcohols removed in the initial
                  stages are the ones with the flavours that you don't want?
                  The obvious answer would seem to be that it is the oxygen alone,
                  but is it? The obvious answer is not always the right one.
                  If the bubbling action is an important factor (aside from, or
                  along with, the introduction of fresh oxygen), then the exhausted
                  air-and-alcohol could be directed (all or partly) back to the inlet
                  of the aquarium pump with less alcohol lost to the atmosphere (if
                  you are not using a condenser...)

                  Regards,

                  The Baker

                  Simple questions are often the most difficult to answer.

                  <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Jim for the insight.
                  >
                  > It got me started looking at other posts here on this site and on
                  the
                  > advanced distillers site and this is what I came up with.
                  >
                  > First I want to thank Harry for this info, it will help me create
                  > copper airstone without buying the SS airstone.
                  >
                  > _______snip_______
                  > You can do away with airstones altogether (they contain glues that
                  > dissolve in alcohol).
                  >
                  > 1) Cut a length of tubing about 15-18 inches.
                  > 2) Poke several hundred holes in it with a safety pin or sewing
                  > needle.
                  > 3) Cut a dozen 1/2 inch lengths of 1/2 inch copper tubing for
                  > weights.
                  > 4) Thread the weights onto the perforated tubing. Space the
                  > weights evenly over the tube length and gently hammer the weights
                  > partially flatten them. Be careful, just enough to stop the weights
                  > from sliding. DON'T pinch the tubing.
                  > 5) Join the ends of the tubing together with a T-piece joiner
                  > (available at aquarium shops).
                  > 6) Attach the pump outlet tubing to the centre arm of the T-piece.
                  >
                  > VOILA! One very efficient bubbler.
                  >
                  > The perforated tubing must be joined back on itself to equalise the
                  > air pressure distribution. If used as a straight line, most of the
                  > holes wouldn't work.
                  >
                  > This little device is also a very useful 'rapid aging' tool for
                  bulk
                  > spirits on oak. But watch the abv, you can lose as much as 2% PER
                  > DAY.
                  > (damn! there goes another of my little 'secrets' ;) )
                  >
                  > HTH
                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                  > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bill,
                  > >
                  > > Suggest you read messages 27710 - 27711 and the thread:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Ride,
                  > > Thanks for the reply. I have read about using a aerator for
                  aging.
                  > > didn't think about using a copper tube, Great idea. And my sig
                  has
                  > > nothing to do with this post. I stole it from someone else.
                  > > just me
                  > >
                  > > "For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism."
                  > >
                  > > No reason to search for stainless steel - just use copper...
                  > >
                  > > Vino es Veritas, Jim.
                  > >
                  > _________snip__________

                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
                    Or you could have a closed circulating air pump system with some 20-30
                    liters air reservoir. That should be enough for oxygenation and the
                    rolling action of aeration should increase the oak/spirits contact.
                    The problem I see is in this one is condensation inside the system.
                    Especially pump diaphragm can leach off flavors.

                    Cheers, Riku

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

                    > In addition to the lost spirit, not to mention safety, realize that
                    > you only need to aerate for a short bit (an hour or two) once a month
                    > (plus or minus a little). It doesn't need to occur during the entire
                    > duration of aging. With this in mind, you can make sure you have
                    > adequate (or more) ventilation during those times, and no naked
                    flame.

                    > Trid
                    > -that whole 'common sense' thing and all

                  • sgd2945
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 31, 2008
                      Try Moorebeer in California

                      http://morebeer.com

                      SGD2945
                      Canberra
                      Australia

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                        <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                        > Or you could have a closed circulating air pump system with some 20-
                        30
                        > liters air reservoir. That should be enough for oxygenation and the
                        > rolling action of aeration should increase the oak/spirits contact.
                        > The problem I see is in this one is condensation inside the system.
                        > Especially pump diaphragm can leach off flavors.
                        >
                        > Cheers, Riku

                        Peristaltic pumping solves both leaching and condensation.

                      • abbababbaccc
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                          What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search something
                          ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
                          to excellent information?

                          Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
                          I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

                          I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
                          here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.

                          Cheers, Riku

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008

                            Now Now Riku,

                            Doth me suspect a hint of sarcasm in which thy speaketh???
                            Heck, I had no frggin clue what a Peristaltic pump was either....

                            Leave it to Harry to come up with something out of the ordinary - (wonder if there be any Lesbian types of peristaltic pumps:x - cant even pronounce the dang thing).

                            But it will be going into the Info base for future edification of other less fortunate members :).

                            Vino es Veritas,

                            Jim.

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                            > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search something
                            > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
                            > to excellent information?
                            >
                            > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
                            > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
                            >
                            > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
                            > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
                            >
                            > Cheers, Riku

                          • abbababbaccc
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                              I think we are spoilt. I was actually surprised not to see a
                              detailed information and analysis of the subject in Harry's post.
                              You just start to take these things for granted after a while ;)

                              Cheers, Riku

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                                > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search
                                something
                                > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
                                > to excellent information?
                                >
                                > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
                                > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
                                >
                                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
                                >
                                > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
                                > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
                                >
                                > Cheers, Riku

                                Heh, got yer attention , eh Riku? <G>

                              • abbababbaccc
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                  You certainly did Harry. Unfortunately they seem to be big and
                                  expensive machines or alternatively they have relatively low pumping
                                  capacity. Still, if I could find a proper roller to attach to a
                                  geardrive or electric motor...

                                  Cheers, Riku

                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                                  > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > What, no links included! Do you really expect us to search
                                  > something
                                  > > ourselves after all this time of feeding us with nice direct links
                                  > > to excellent information?
                                  > >
                                  > > Seriously though, a very nice concept. Makes me wanna build one but
                                  > > I suppose there are some unexpected problems in that. The link is:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump
                                  > >
                                  > > I'll have to see if they are available at reasonable cost around
                                  > > here. Should be quieter than my current aquarium pump.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers, Riku
                                  >

                                  > Heh, got yer attention , eh Riku? <G>
                                  >
                                  > Slainte!
                                  > regards Harry

                                • yourkeyturner
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                    Search 'Peristaltic pump' on Ebay...Found em starting from $20.00 all
                                    the way up to $1700! I suppose a large one would not be needed as it is
                                    only being used to "aerate" a few liters of product. I like the idea of
                                    rapidly speeding up the process. Will have to read and read and read
                                    some more on it. Any thoughts on min. flow rate?

                                    KEYturner

                                    > You certainly did Harry. Unfortunately they seem to be big and
                                    > expensive machines or alternatively they have relatively low pumping
                                    > capacity. Still, if I could find a proper roller to attach to a
                                    > geardrive or electric motor...
                                    >
                                    > Cheers, Riku

                                  • abbababbaccc
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                      Aquarium air pumps usually provide several liters per minute. Those
                                      cheap things from e-bay are usually dosing pumps and will provide few
                                      milliliters per minute. There are bigger ones but price and size goes
                                      up considerably, or so it seems. Let me know if you find the opposite.

                                      Cheers, Riku

                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yourkeyturner"

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                        Me thinks I is just going to stick with me good ol' 9.99 air matress
                                        pump for aerating the mashes (plastic tube tied out at one end with
                                        holes punched in it, and a good ol' brick to hold it down under), and
                                        a leave da aging stuff to them angel's (probably some ol' distillers
                                        that a be trying to aerate dang high potency alcohol while a smokin'
                                        their tobacci) - especially figurin' I cant even pronounciate the
                                        dang name of that thing-a-magig...

                                        Vino es Veritas,
                                        Jim.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                          Oh, BTW people,

                                          If you ever looked at how an electric air pump for matresses or one
                                          of them thar little car vacuums work, with a fan forcing the air
                                          through them, you might figure out its the same principle as a
                                          roatating gear moving air through a tube that costs one heck of a lot
                                          more, and wont add any off-flavors - and by geezzz, i can even
                                          pronounce the name lol... (but i have been criticized before for
                                          using an air pump :):):). Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                                          well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                                          tools ya had to buy...

                                          Vino es Veritas,
                                          Jim.

                                          <yourkeyturner@...> wrote:

                                          > Search 'Peristaltic pump' on Ebay...Found em starting from $20.00
                                          all
                                          > the way up to $1700! I suppose a large one would not be needed as
                                          it is
                                          > only being used to "aerate" a few liters of product. I like the
                                          idea of
                                          > rapidly speeding up the process. Will have to read and read and read
                                          > some more on it. Any thoughts on min. flow rate?
                                          >
                                          > KEYturner

                                        • daddyman00126
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                            Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same price
                                            as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
                                            and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
                                            (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
                                            T which I didnt use.

                                            Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
                                            down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
                                            extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
                                            didnt mind buying them for future use.

                                            I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
                                            went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
                                            off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.

                                            Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
                                            posting reading. What is the brick for?

                                            The best for last
                                            BILL1BURP

                                            ____snip____

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                              To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                                              little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                                              on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
                                              works as well :):):).

                                              <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                              ____snip____
                                              Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                                              > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                                              > tools ya had to buy...
                                              >
                                              > Vino es Veritas,
                                              > Jim.
                                            • daddyman00126
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                                Hell if I knew that I could have got out cheap. I have about 2ft of
                                                chemical resistance tubing that is real flexable. I bought about 6ft
                                                of it for my run off into my collection vessel.

                                                Live and learn.

                                                BILL1BURP

                                                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                                > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                                                > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                                                > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang
                                                copper
                                                > works as well :):):).
                                                >
                                                > Vino es Veritas,
                                                > Jim.
                                                >
                                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
                                                > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > Total spent in copper and tools was just about 30 dollars, same
                                                price
                                                > as a SS air stone. It was about 8 bucks for the 1/4 OD copper tubing
                                                > and I bought a 2ft stick of half inch ridged to cut up in 1/2 peices
                                                > (about 2 peices for weight) The rest was for the tools and one brass
                                                > T which I didnt use.
                                                >
                                                > Out of the 8ft of tubing I used 20 inches to start but had to cut it
                                                > down to 15 inches per the instructions. So I have a few tools and
                                                > extra tubing to work with. This is a good thing. I like tools and
                                                > didnt mind buying them for future use.
                                                >
                                                > I had to get away from the blue stones I was using because when I
                                                > went to get my air pump out some of the particles of the stone came
                                                > off in my hand. So building the copper areator was a must.
                                                >
                                                > Now I must request that you forgive me. I am a little behind in my
                                                > posting reading. What is the brick for?
                                                >
                                                > The best for last
                                                > BILL1BURP
                                                >
                                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                                                > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > ____snip____
                                                > Also Bill, me thinks a brick works just as
                                                > > well as all the money you spent for 8 feet of copper and all them
                                                > > tools ya had to buy...
                                                > >
                                                > > Vino es Veritas,
                                                > > Jim.

                                              • abbababbaccc
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008
                                                  I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                                                  add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                                                  of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                                                  business :)

                                                  Cheers, Riku

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 1, 2008

                                                    Sorry Riku,

                                                    Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so - and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing process to them angels and mother nature lol.

                                                    But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes, im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like Harry) and stuff that fall into it,  will add enough local characteristics hehehe :):).

                                                    Vino es Veritas,
                                                    Jim.

                                                    (Dang Riku, had to look that one up, and ya didnt even give me a link - your getting as bad as Harry :x:x:x.)  Regards, Jim.

                                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                                                    > I wouldn't use a brick when aerating the distillate. I mean it could
                                                    > add a certain "terroir" to the aroma if it was made in certain parts
                                                    > of france but whether that terroir is good or bad is a bit risky
                                                    > business :)
                                                    >
                                                    > Cheers, Riku
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                                                    > jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > To weigh down the plastic tubing that i punched holes in with my
                                                    > > little safty pin.... Then tied a knot on the end and put the brick
                                                    > > on top to hold it down under - but i guess all that gosh dang copper
                                                    > > works as well :):):).
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Vino es Veritas,
                                                    > > Jim.

                                                  • morayman98
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                                      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                                                      But is it wrapped in FOOD GRADE plastic? Morayman........

                                                      > Sorry Riku,
                                                      >
                                                      > Im just using it just to aerate my mash for the first 6 hours or so -
                                                      > and its wrapped in plastic. Like I said before, I leave the ageing
                                                      > process to them angels and mother nature lol.
                                                      >
                                                      > But thanks for the info - and as far as the "terrior" of my mash goes,
                                                      > im sure that the few ants or cochroaches (thank God no Geckos, like
                                                      > Harry) and stuff that fall into it, will add enough local
                                                      > characteristics hehehe :):).
                                                      >
                                                      > Vino es Veritas,
                                                      > Jim.
                                                    • morganfield1
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                                        I think they call that the "House Blend", don't they, Hehe.

                                                        Actually, I was trying to think of a good name for my next brew,
                                                        "Old Brick", humm...

                                                        Thick as a brick, Morgan

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                                          Ummmm, me likes - "Thick as a Brick" better :):):)>
                                                          Vino es Veritas,
                                                          Jim.

                                                          And yes all, it is wrapped in Saran Wrap - Food Grade Plastic lol.

                                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Apr 2, 2008
                                                            And, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I mean, let's face it,
                                                            you only need to expose air to the aging spirit in very small amounts
                                                            once a month or so (that should stir things up a bit!). I age my
                                                            spirits (deluted to 50%, not "rocket fuel") in 600 ml glass jars.
                                                            Once a month, I open the jars and leave the lids off for an hour.
                                                            Then I put the lids back on and give them a good shake. That should
                                                            do the trick. There is debate on whether aging spirit draws air thru
                                                            the staves of a barrel due to contraction of the spirit in the cold
                                                            weather, the barrel shrinks, also. I am of the thought that it does,
                                                            but that is niether here nor there. Research has shown that air
                                                            permeates the staves and in that way exposes spirit to air. Either
                                                            way, it is a small amount.

                                                            Tip a brick, Morgan