Re: Use of Plastics , food grade

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 5, 2002
      > I called into my local "brew" shop this morning and asked the staff
      > for their opinion on the subject. As might have been expected they
      say
      > providing the product\hose\tubing\utensil is of "FOOD"
      quality...there
      > will be no problem.

      did you tell them that 95% boiling ethanol vapours would be passing
      through the item?

      many years ago i made distilled some alcohol it tasted like it came
      out at about 30%. it was passed through a food grade tube from a
      homebrew shop. when i added water to the alcohol it turned milky,
      plastic precipitating out!

      > subscribe to that argument which say's...use glass and copper etc
      > whenever possable...and if I have to use plastic...then ensure it
      is
      > of Food quality. However, you may well ask....if I go into my Brew
      > shop and buy, say, a three litre measuring jug...how do I know it
      is
      > made of a Food quality material?...and so the circle continues.

      that is what i do. my still is mainly 316 stainless then copper then
      glass. i use small amounts of food grade silicone tube to seal some
      joints and i use food grade silicone sealant for my gasket on top of
      my keg. i am not sure what the exact differences are between normal
      silicone and food grade. i know the food grade sealant contains
      fungicides in it (dont know if this is the only difference). if your
      measuring jug is food grade they should be shouting about it. the
      company i work in must use food grade plastics and we have trouble
      finding them and can pay over twice the price for them. it might be
      worthwhile looking up chemical supply companies posing as a student.