Stater kit... Sort of.

  • lunkerdown
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
      1st off, I would like to say this is a great site to stumble on,(in
      the future I hope). Full of links and other stuff that I hope that in
      the future, I too can give advice.. THX.

      2nd I'm not building a rocketship motor, nor the fuel to feed that bad
      boy. I'm looking to ask about making my 1st batch of Vodka and all of
      the recipes so far are for from what I gather make huge amounts. I
      have a 5gal glass water jug (office style) and that is my starting
      point. The Mash ppg's.. I think I have the still part down, but if you
      have a 1st timer quickie???? I think I'm going to try the pressure
      cooker style 1st. I hope I dont blow my house up!!! all replies would
      be helpful.

      Thank's
      Greg
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
        Hi Greg,

        Yes this is a great site with lots of experienced members- welcome
        aboard.

        There are plenty of links here in the Info base and pressure cookers
        are fine (even aluminum), matter of fact one of our most experienced
        distillers - Pint O Shine swears by em. Just make sure you get at
        least a 2 gallon one - otherwise you be making so many runs it will
        increase the cost in the heating department.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lunkerdown"
        <gapremodeling@...> wrote:

        > 1st off, I would like to say this is a great site to stumble on,(in
        > the future I hope). Full of links and other stuff that I hope that
        in
        > the future, I too can give advice.. THX.
        >
        > 2nd I'm not building a rocketship motor, nor the fuel to feed that
        bad
        > boy. I'm looking to ask about making my 1st batch of Vodka and all
        of
        > the recipes so far are for from what I gather make huge amounts. I
        > have a 5gal glass water jug (office style) and that is my starting
        > point. The Mash ppg's.. I think I have the still part down, but if
        you
        > have a 1st timer quickie???? I think I'm going to try the pressure
        > cooker style 1st. I hope I dont blow my house up!!! all replies
        would
        > be helpful.
        >
        > Thank's
        > Greg

      • rye_junkie
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
          - In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lunkerdown"
          > <gapremodeling@> wrote:
          > >
          > > 1st off, I would like to say this is a great site to stumble on,(in
          > > the future I hope). Full of links and other stuff that I hope that
          > in
          > > the future, I too can give advice.. THX.
          > >
          > > 2nd I'm not building a rocketship motor, nor the fuel to feed that
          > bad
          > > boy. I'm looking to ask about making my 1st batch of Vodka and all
          > of
          > > the recipes so far are for from what I gather make huge amounts. I
          > > have a 5gal glass water jug (office style) and that is my starting
          > > point. The Mash ppg's.. I think I have the still part down, but if
          > you
          > > have a 1st timer quickie???? I think I'm going to try the pressure
          > > cooker style 1st. I hope I dont blow my house up!!! all replies
          > would
          > > be helpful.
          > >
          > > Thank's
          > > Greg

          Hello Greg,
          A good 5 gal wash for vodka would be as follows. (for starters)

          7 lbs of sugar
          1 12 oz jar of molasas or a cup of wheat germ (solids)
          Bakers yeast or EC1118 Bakers yeast works fine for sugar washes
          You can also throw in a can of tomatoes paste. I have been toying
          with this ingredient and have to agree with the old moonshiners that
          it does in fact help.

          Disolve the sugar in 2 gal of hot water Pour in the molasas or wheat
          germ while still hot and let set for a few minutes. Pour into your
          jug and then top up to about 6 inches from the top with cool water and
          pitch your yeast when the temp is below 100F. If you have a aerator
          it would help to aerate it for 30 min or so.
          It should be ready to distill in a week or so depending on the temp
          you keep it at. 75-80 is a good range. I am sure you will have other
          questions before its over with. Feel free. welcome to the group.

          Mason
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
            -
            Thx Mason. I think I'm putting the horse/cart into play here.I want
            to use corn in my recipe and with this in mind, do I need to
            substitute corn for the amount of sugar and so on. Bakers yeast! Can
            I steal this from my wife's cooking supply? I'm ready to go in the am
            If anyone can add thx.

            -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
            wrote:

            > - In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lunkerdown"
            > > <gapremodeling@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > 1st off, I would like to say this is a great site to stumble on,
            (in
            > > > the future I hope). Full of links and other stuff that I hope
            that
            > > in
            > > > the future, I too can give advice.. THX.
            > > >
            > > > 2nd I'm not building a rocketship motor, nor the fuel to feed
            that
            > > bad
            > > > boy. I'm looking to ask about making my 1st batch of Vodka and
            all
            > > of
            > > > the recipes so far are for from what I gather make huge
            amounts. I
            > > > have a 5gal glass water jug (office style) and that is my
            starting
            > > > point. The Mash ppg's.. I think I have the still part down, but
            if
            > > you
            > > > have a 1st timer quickie???? I think I'm going to try the
            pressure
            > > > cooker style 1st. I hope I dont blow my house up!!! all
            replies
            > > would
            > > > be helpful.
            > > >
            > > > Thank's
            > > > Greg
            > > >

            > Hello Greg,
            > A good 5 gal wash for vodka would be as follows. (for starters)
            >
            > 7 lbs of sugar
            > 1 12 oz jar of molasas or a cup of wheat germ (solids)
            > Bakers yeast or EC1118 Bakers yeast works fine for sugar washes
            > You can also throw in a can of tomatoes paste. I have been toying
            > with this ingredient and have to agree with the old moonshiners that
            > it does in fact help.
            >
            > Disolve the sugar in 2 gal of hot water Pour in the molasas or wheat
            > germ while still hot and let set for a few minutes. Pour into your
            > jug and then top up to about 6 inches from the top with cool water
            and
            > pitch your yeast when the temp is below 100F. If you have a aerator
            > it would help to aerate it for 30 min or so.
            > It should be ready to distill in a week or so depending on the temp
            > you keep it at. 75-80 is a good range. I am sure you will have
            other
            > questions before its over with. Feel free. welcome to the group.
            >
            > Mason

          • rye_junkie
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...> wrote:

              > -
              > Thx Mason. I think I'm putting the horse/cart into play here.I want
              > to use corn in my recipe and with this in mind, do I need to
              > substitute corn for the amount of sugar and so on. Bakers yeast! Can
              > I steal this from my wife's cooking supply? I'm ready to go in the am
              > If anyone can add thx.

              Greg,
              You can do this a couple of ways. The easiest is to crush up a large
              box of corn flakes in a blender or food processor almost to powder. I
              prefer a blender so I can blend with water. If you just add the
              powdered corn flakes to the water they will clump. Not really any
              need to cook but you can if you wish. The other is to use corn meal
              but this method really requires the use of malted barley to be
              effective and easy in my opinion. As for yeast just make sure it is
              "Active dry" not the "Rapid Rise" stuff. Flieshmans or red star are
              fine. I prefer red star. The corn flakes may sound a little "flaky"
              but they work nicely, They are cheap and transfer a lot of corn
              flavor into the finished product. You may want to consider not doing
              this in your carboy at this point now though. Run down to walmart and
              get yourself a Sterilite storage container and use it for your
              fermenter. You will find it worth the 6 bucks. The brand of plastic
              container is safe for our hobby and a fraction of the cost of a brew
              shop fermenter.

              Mason
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                Note:

                Not to mention all the vitamins and minerals included for those
                yeasties (read ingredients) - also most brands of corn flakes come
                with Malt flavoring or extract :).

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                  <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                  > Note:
                  >
                  > Not to mention all the vitamins and minerals included for those
                  > yeasties (read ingredients) - also most brands of corn flakes come
                  > with Malt flavoring or extract :).
                  >
                  > Vino es Veritas,
                  > Jim.

                  Yea, I didnt mention that because the molasses also carry a lot of
                  nutrients. Also greg, you would use the cornflakes instead of the
                  crispies now. I have tried this recipe with and with out the Grandmas
                  Molasses and I definitely prefer it with.

                  Mason
                  Gettin' thirsty just talkin' 'bout it.
                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Thanks guy's.I do beleive that I'm more of a hands on type and once I
                    see it in action I will get the whole picture and then my ?'s will
                    thin out (hopefully for you) :)
                    Greg

                    <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                    > Note:
                    >
                    > Not to mention all the vitamins and minerals included for those
                    > yeasties (read ingredients) - also most brands of corn flakes come
                    > with Malt flavoring or extract :).
                    >
                    > Vino es Veritas,
                    > Jim.
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > -
                    > > Thx Mason. I think I'm putting the horse/cart into play here.I
                    want
                    > > to use corn in my recipe and with this in mind, do I need to
                    > > substitute corn for the amount of sugar and so on. Bakers yeast!
                    Can
                    > > I steal this from my wife's cooking supply? I'm ready to go in
                    the
                    > am
                    > > If anyone can add thx.
                    >

                    > Greg,
                    > You can do this a couple of ways. The easiest is to crush up a large
                    > box of corn flakes in a blender or food processor almost to powder.
                    > prefer a blender so I can blend with water. If you just add the
                    > powdered corn flakes to the water they will clump. Not really any
                    > need to cook but you can if you wish. The other is to use corn meal
                    > but this method really requires the use of malted barley to be
                    > effective and easy in my opinion. As for yeast just make sure it is
                    > "Active dry" not the "Rapid Rise" stuff. Flieshmans or red star are
                    > fine. I prefer red star. The corn flakes may sound a little "flaky"
                    > but they work nicely, They are cheap and transfer a lot of corn
                    > flavor into the finished product. You may want to consider not doing
                    > this in your carboy at this point now though. Run down to walmart
                    and
                    > get yourself a Sterilite storage container and use it for your
                    > fermenter. You will find it worth the 6 bucks. The brand of plastic
                    > container is safe for our hobby and a fraction of the cost of a brew
                    > shop fermenter.
                    >
                    > Mason

                  • rye_junkie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks guy's.I do beleive that I'm more of a hands on type and once I
                      > see it in action I will get the whole picture and then my ?'s will
                      > thin out (hopefully for you) :)
                      > Greg

                      We don't mind really.

                      Mason