It works!

  • cummingsc@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2000
      Thanks to all of you who helped with insight, advice, and patience. I
      distilled my first batch with the new still (a Stillmaker hybrid) and
      it worked like a champ!

      It is 6 degrees F here in Wisconsin. The snow is piled about 18"
      high. Perfect distilling weather. I ran the batch out in my garage
      (it's illegal here) and emptied my cooling water into a snowdrift. It
      took quite a bit of tinkering to get the still accomodated to the
      temp. Of course, I went through the usual first-timer pratfalls like
      not hose-clamping the water hoses to the still. Nothing like getting
      sprayed with cold water in 6 degree weather. Finally, as I was about
      finished with the run, I realized that the water had melted through
      the drift and was collecting in my driveway. The other people in the
      apartment are not going to appreciate the mini-ice-skating rink I
      inadvertantly built for them. Ahhhh, the things we do for science.

      Sorry, in my puppyish excitement, I started rambling. A couple of
      questions for you wizards of wort...

      1. I would like to make a 18-20% mash. I'm using the Lavin EC-1118
      yeast which is supposed to be able to handle that much alcohol. Can I
      just dump that much suger in? Is it possible to make a 8-10% suger
      wash and then add more suger and nutrients later, after the yeast
      have used it all up?

      2. I kept the temp at precisely 170-175F (78-80C) the whole time I
      was collecting. However, my distillate still smells like the mash
      (kinda like apples). What does this mean and how can I get it to go
      away? Also, the first 500ml came really fast (40 min/L), and the
      second and third 500mls were quite slow (2 hrs/L). Does this mean
      there was something wrong with the first batch?

      Thanks again to all of you. This is so much fun!

      chris
    • klcampbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2000
        Hi Chris in regard toLalvin EC1118 my Yeast List it as a cold climate wine
        yeast and not a distillers yeast,Lalvin do offer Distillers yeast in their
        Special Strains listing.EC1118 is only 15% alcohol tolerant.The new still
        sound great,what % did it produce?that is the important part.I had a batch
        thru my new tower that i made for my labmaster and on the first run i had a
        smell of burnt sugar even in the spirit so i rerun it at a higher boiling
        rate and it came out clean at 95%,but i only collect at 350ml.per hour.Well
        Chris time for me to close.Wishing you and all the new distillers a MERRY
        CHRISTMAS and we will catch up soon,regards Ken.