Re: heads question

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2008
      Hi Mario,

      The "heads" consist mainly, but not entirely, of ethal acetate, which
      is a more volatile compound than ethanol. What the packing does,
      because of reflux, is consentrate the ethal acetate at the top of the
      column, where it can be drawn off and kept seperate from the main run.
      The main run, in the same way, can be consentrated at the top of the
      column from the tails, by ever increasing the reflux ratio, though
      total seperation will never occur in a packed column. HTH

      Tip one, Morgan