Re: [new_distillers] definition please....

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2008
      Racking is the process by which you carefully siphon off the wine
      while leaving the sediment behind in the bottom of the carboy.
      I use a siphon with a solid plastic bit that goes into the wine. On
      the base there is a little contraption that gives you about 1/2" of
      space so that it is harder for sediment to enter the siphon. If you
      tilt the carboy towards the end of the racking, you canminimize the
      loss of liquid to the sediment.
      If siphoning many carboys, I dump all the sediment into one large
      bottle (1 gallon) and stick it in a very cold fridge. I usually get
      back about 30% in wine once it settles.
      Bottling is the ancient ritual of transferring the wine to 750 ml
      bottles for corking and storage. If actually storing wine for months
      at a time it is best to store bottles on their side so that the cork
      remains moist.
      On this list many people simply lock the door, put a long straw into
      the carboy and do not reappear until the carboy is empty. <g>
      At 11:22 AM 3/27/2008, you wrote:

      >i was going over some wine recipes and i was wondering what in the
      >world does rack and bottle mean since i'ts the final step for almost
      >all the recipes...

      Derek
      "From the cradle to the crypt it's a mighty short trip
      So you'd better get it while you can!"
      -from the Ballad of Carl Martin by Steve Goodman