Ian Smiley,s Book

  • dennistiller
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
      I was wondering if anyone has downloaded Ians book (MAKING PURE CORN
      WHISKEY) or is it better to get the book itself.

      Dennis
    • Ian Macsween
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
        Please buy the book! Not only is it illegal to pass copyright material from
        one person to another, it is also unfair to the author who put a lot of work
        into writing the book. Were it not for people like me who "buy" books, none
        of the talented people who write them would bother to share their expertise!
        I strongly urge all the members of our group not to participate in the
        immoral and illegal practice of forwarding electronic versions of copyright
        material to others! There is enough "free" material available on the net -
        let's keep our hobby clean!
        > I was wondering if anyone has downloaded Ians book (MAKING PURE CORN
        > WHISKEY) or is it better to get the book itself.
        >

        > Dennis

      • mattdistiller
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
          --- In new_distillers@y..., "dennistiller" <furbs@o...> wrote:
          > I was wondering if anyone has downloaded Ians book (MAKING PURE
          CORN
          > WHISKEY) or is it better to get the book itself.

          Dennis,

          I downloaded the book - worked fine, printed well, and I spiral bound
          it for easy reading.

          Great book BTW!

          Matt
        • Ian Macsween
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
            If you meant downloading any electric books after you have paid for them -
            great! But I also know that it is possible to forward copies of electronic
            books to your buddies without them having to pay! I am strenuously opposed
            to this nefarious practice!
            > > I was wondering if anyone has downloaded Ians book (MAKING PURE
            > CORN
            > > WHISKEY) or is it better to get the book itself.
            >
            > Dennis,
            >
            > I downloaded the book - worked fine, printed well, and I spiral bound
            > it for easy reading.
            >
            > Great book BTW!
            >
            > Matt

          • mattdistiller
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
              Ian,

              Great point - but I don't think he was asking for an illegal copy -
              rather if the downloaded copy is easy to get/print/use.

              Well, at least thats the way I took it!

              Matt

              --- In new_distillers@y..., Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@s...> wrote:
              > Please buy the book! Not only is it illegal to pass copyright
              material from
              > one person to another, it is also unfair to the author who put a
              lot of work
              > into writing the book. Were it not for people like me who "buy"
              books, none
              > of the talented people who write them would bother to share their
              expertise!
              > I strongly urge all the members of our group not to participate in
              the
              > immoral and illegal practice of forwarding electronic versions of
              copyright
              > material to others! There is enough "free" material available on
              the net -
              > let's keep our hobby clean!

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Ian Macsween
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
                If you are right - I stand corrected and apologise - if not - I am pissed
                off!

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
                  Sorry - I apologize.  Perhaps I have just been a librarian for too long - in Canada I used to get annoyed with people using photocopiers to reproduce entire books that they should have bought!
                  Thanks Matt that is exactly what I meant. Sorry Ian for the confusion.
                                  Dennis
                  Great point - but I don't think he was asking for an illegal copy -
                  rather if the downloaded copy is easy to get/print/use.

                  Well, at least thats the way I took it!

                  Matt

                  --- In new_distillers@y..., Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@s...> wrote:
                  > Please buy the book!  Not only is it illegal to pass copyright
                  material from
                  > one person to another, it is also unfair to the author who put a
                  lot of work
                  > into writing the book. Were it not for people like me who "buy"
                  books, none
                  > of the talented people who write them would bother to share their
                  expertise!
                  > I strongly urge all the members of our group not to participate in
                  the
                  > immoral and illegal practice of forwarding electronic versions of
                  copyright
                  > material to others!  There is enough "free" material available on
                  the net -
                  > let's keep our hobby clean!

                • Furbs
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
                      -Am at this very moment downloading electronic version of book at
                      $13.70 cant go wrong. Settle down Ian.
                      Dennis.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
                        You cannot go wrong with that book - it is great! Sorry Dennis - I did over
                        react!
                        > -Am at this very moment downloading electronic version of book at
                        > $13.70 cant go wrong. Settle down Ian.
                        > Dennis.
                        >
                        > -- In new_distillers@y..., Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@s...> wrote:
                        > > If you are right - I stand corrected and apologise - if not - I am
                        > pissed
                        > > off!

                      • Mel Robinson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
                          Hello Dennis

                          Good book, I downloaded it and printed it out and have it in a 3 ring
                          binder as well as on the harddrive, the best of both worlds :>)

                          Regards Mel

                          > I was wondering if anyone has downloaded Ians book (MAKING PURE CORN
                          > WHISKEY) or is it better to get the book itself.
                        • John Vandermeulen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 5, 2002
                            I purchased my copy of Smiley's book about a month ago, and to my utter surprise
                            it came to me, mailed from an Ontario address, within Canada - Smiley's is a
                            fellow Canadian!

                            As for the book - excellent. I am at this moment attempting my first all-grain
                            'mash' -- following to the letter Smiley's step-by-step recipe for corn whiskey.

                            John V