Alternative to Plastic

  • cornfed62
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002
      When I first start with this hobby, I was searching for a suitable
      storeage container for my product.
      The solution that I discovered was pretty much free. It turns out
      that certain foodstuffs (dill pickles for example) are delivered to
      large kitchens in gallon (they hold 3.95x liter) size glass jars. I
      now have over 20 of them with thier screw on caps, with the
      possiblity of getting as many as I need or want. The openings are
      large enough that I can put my hand inside for a proper cleaning.

      My source is the kitchen area of a large rest / retirement home for
      the elderly. The kitchen prepares 500 meals 3 times a day. I chanced
      upon them after visiting a relative and had to toss something into
      the trash can. Since then I have visited with the kitchen staff and
      they set aside as many as I want them to. A simple phone call
      handles it. No explainations necessary. But I do supply them with
      seasonal garden and fruit produce. They start work at 4am also so a
      real live cheerful visitor is welcomed also. One thing to keep in
      mind tho. The lids are much easier to remove after you slash a
      diagonal across them with a cleaver and give the works a twist, So
      unless they know you want to save them, you might not get the lids
      that go along with the package. Also the glass is recycleable and it
      is easier to store broken. So a phone call and a visit works wonders
      and is more productive than a midnight dumpster raid.

      Cheers