Re: Use of Plastics

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
      storing cold 40% in suitable plastic continers should be fine. ive
      seen 60% alcohol in plastic bottles at the airport. i have a gallon
      of 95% isopropanol which came in a HD PE container.
    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
        Hello All,
        It's good to see that most distillers dont use plastic in any way with their
        alcohol.I had a posting an this many months ago and was told to take my
        blinkers off and wake up as it is harmless.
        I cant remember the fool who wrote this. Anyhow, now it has come to light
        that even the bags in winecasks leach plastics into the plonk and we drink
        this stuff.
        Just have a look at the new plastic Z filter manufactured by who?, which is
        lauded as the ants pants.
        Anyone using this contraption continually will wake up to the health problem
        he or she might have in years to come.
        Just remember DDT how wonderful that was.
        Regards. JAN.

      • G&N
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
          I have used a two litre plastic beaker to collect my 90+ percent spirit for
          over 12 months now and the container is still just fine ...no doubt some
          plactics would'nt be as good as others but i dont have a worry with it
          ...plastic is used everywhere nowadays ..........BUT

          Ethanol is a solvent..........we drink that

          Ethanol kills brain cells .....we drink that

          Ethanol is bad for our liver....we drink that

          Ethanol is a drug............we drink that

          Ethanol when we distill ...i bet we all sniff it to so see what the product
          is coming out like.

          If people are that worried about plastics they shouldnt drink this stuff
          anyway ...that is my opinion anyway

          Glenn

        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
            Yes, ethanol is a solvent that kills brain cells, but, due to laws of natural
            selection, it kills the weaker and slower brain cells first, this makes the
            brain healthier and faster overall.
          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
              > Yes, ethanol is a solvent that kills brain cells, but, due to
              > laws of natural
              > selection, it kills the weaker and slower brain cells first,
              > this makes the
              > brain healthier and faster overall.

              That would explain all those genius' you meet in the pub.
              They shure do seem to know a lot, particularly the more they've had

              Tony
            • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                For more info on the placticiers and their toxicity, see :

                http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/GDWQ/Chemicals/di2ethylhexyphtafull.htm

                "..It should be noted that some reported occurrences of DEHP in certain matrices have been found to result from contamination of the latter by plasticizer extracted from plastic tubing or other equipment..." and "..Consequently, the TDI is 25 µg/kg of body weight..."

                Tony
              • Lynne
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                  At 07:25 PM 2/3/02 -0500, ups wrote:
                  >Yes, ethanol is a solvent that kills brain cells, but, due to laws of natural
                  >selection, it kills the weaker and slower brain cells first, this makes the
                  >brain healthier and faster overall.

                  .. aka, the Buffalo Theory : http://www.primenet.com/~machado/adb/buffalo.htm

                  Note in particular, the second part, Tony ;)

                  Lynne
                • klcampbell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                    G'day John,teflon is not totally inert in hot ethanol vapour or liquid,it
                    does soften and go spongy but will return to normal as the ethanol
                    evaporates.
                    Nitrile and silicone are both inert and silicone tubing is suitable for
                    extending the outlet from your condenser,Regards,Ken.
> [...]
                    > > containers and so place the product in a 15 litre "plastic"
                    > > pail\bucket. This "bucket" is white in colour and is stocked and sold
                    > > by the local brew shop. The 40% product is in this plastic bucket for
                    > > a few hours (maybe four) whilst it is processed through the filter
                    > > and
                    > > is then again collected to individual 5 litre glass jars.
                    > >
                    > > The second, and final point of conflict is the use of a small
                    > > lenght of "plastic" tube\pipe which is connected to the "outlet"
                    > > point
                    > > of the Still and terminates in the "neck" of the 5 litre glass jar. I
                    > > find it difficult to accept that this piece of "tube" (about 10
                    > > inches
                    > > long) is going to cause a "problem" to the product. However, I am
                    > > unsure about the use of the plastic bucket\pail.
                    > >
                    > > Advice and or comment on both points would be appreciated

                  • magpie2001au
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                      Howdy. I posted the original question re: the use of Plastics a few
                      days ago. I have read the resulting mail with much interest. There
                      seems to be an even divide of opinion.

                      I called into my local "brew" shop this morning and asked the staff
                      for their opinion on the subject. As might have been expected they say
                      providing the product\hose\tubing\utensil is of "FOOD" quality...there
                      will be no problem.

                      It is not my intention to cause argument, but rather to acknowledge
                      the various opinions which have been expressed. For my part I tend to
                      subscribe to that argument which say's...use glass and copper etc
                      whenever possable...and if I have to use plastic...then ensure it is
                      of Food quality. However, you may well ask....if I go into my Brew
                      shop and buy, say, a three litre measuring jug...how do I know it is
                      made of a Food quality material?...and so the circle continues.

                      Regards to all....\\
                    • Ian Macsween
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                        Good point - I bought a plastic vial for measuring specific gravity of my
                        wort from the local wine shop - it clouded up and "crazed" the first time I
                        tried to measure the %APV from one of my "runs". So much for plastic!

                      • confederaterebel@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                          Might as well keep the pot stirred some. I used to work for a plumbing
                          company. Every time i got cut on copper tubing they would tell me " hope you
                          didn't get too much copper in your blood stream you could get real sick if
                          you do". Now if plastic is bad why is copper not in a still. Both are bad at
                          high levels. All quality stills have copper, plastic, and rubber in its
                          construction. The only thing i can say is i've never heard of plastic
                          poisoning. I've drank more moonshine out of plastic milk jugs than i care to
                          remember.

                          Bill
                        • mattdistiller
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                            --- In new_distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                            <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                            > For more info on the placticiers and their toxicity, see :

                            http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/GDWQ/Chemicals/di2ethylhexy
                            phtafull.htm

                            Hi,

                            Just to add my 2 cents worth - I don't and won't use plastics with my
                            alcohol - thats just me. BUT - thats not to say that some plastics
                            are OK - I don't claim to know.

                            I have just scanned in a datasheet (from our lab) with info on
                            different plastics (resins) and how they react to chemicals. I have
                            only included the ethanol data - all up, the entire table is 6 pages
                            long!

                            You can find the sheet in the files area of this group:

                            olplasticdata.gif

                            It is fairly large (300k) but I scanned it so it would print out OK
                            on a normal printer.

                            I won't interpret all the data - but I will say by the looks of it,
                            there are some plastics which could be OK, and others that are a
                            definite no! That said, this is a laboratory guide, not necessarily
                            a guide for human consumption! So use the data at your own risk!

                            Matt
                          • peter_vcb
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 5, 2002
                              > I called into my local "brew" shop this morning and asked the staff
                              > for their opinion on the subject. As might have been expected they
                              say
                              > providing the product\hose\tubing\utensil is of "FOOD"
                              quality...there
                              > will be no problem.

                              did you tell them that 95% boiling ethanol vapours would be passing
                              through the item?

                              many years ago i made distilled some alcohol it tasted like it came
                              out at about 30%. it was passed through a food grade tube from a
                              homebrew shop. when i added water to the alcohol it turned milky,
                              plastic precipitating out!

                              > subscribe to that argument which say's...use glass and copper etc
                              > whenever possable...and if I have to use plastic...then ensure it
                              is
                              > of Food quality. However, you may well ask....if I go into my Brew
                              > shop and buy, say, a three litre measuring jug...how do I know it
                              is
                              > made of a Food quality material?...and so the circle continues.

                              that is what i do. my still is mainly 316 stainless then copper then
                              glass. i use small amounts of food grade silicone tube to seal some
                              joints and i use food grade silicone sealant for my gasket on top of
                              my keg. i am not sure what the exact differences are between normal
                              silicone and food grade. i know the food grade sealant contains
                              fungicides in it (dont know if this is the only difference). if your
                              measuring jug is food grade they should be shouting about it. the
                              company i work in must use food grade plastics and we have trouble
                              finding them and can pay over twice the price for them. it might be
                              worthwhile looking up chemical supply companies posing as a student.