pot still/smelling cutoffs

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002
      Good morning Geof,
      congratualations with your 'potstill'. I really like the straightforward
      approach - no big design problems, no major machining, just a pot + lyne arm +
      condenser. I suspect that in the old days, in the hills and glens of Scotland (&
      Ireland, & Tennessee) many homes had just this sort of set-up. Enough to brew up
      a bottle or two.
      Re: smelling the tails etc. off a surface. Not too long ago I read an account of
      a tour visit to one of the Scots distilleries. The author described how the
      still master suggested that, instead of smelling a drop on one's finger, that one
      take 2 or 3 drops in the palm of the hand, rub the hands together, and than let
      the spirit evaporate by the heat of the skin. I've since tried that, and it
      works.
      For me this particular finding is important as I still have difficulty
      distinguishing by smell only between foreshot and middle, and again betw. middle
      and tails. So I still rely heavily on my thermometer in the head of the column.
      And Geoff, many thanks for the sketch of your setup. It is now in my files.!
      John V