methanol toxicity

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2000
      The fatal dose of methanol is 60 to 250ml. Death depends on the size
      of the individual, their general health and stomach contents. The
      exposure limit is 200ppm. The highly lethal nature of methanol
      (compared to ethanol) has not been fully researched, but it is
      believed to be the result of the byproducts of metabolism, which turn
      methanol into formic acid and formaldehyde, and formaldehyde has been
      proven to have selective injurious effects on retal cells- this is
      the reason for it's ability to cause blindness.
      Methanol is metabolized and excreted at a rate about one-fifth
      that of ethanol, and a single dose may take up to 4 days to leave the
      body (provided the drinker isn't already dead)
      Symptoms fom acute poisoning of a moderate dose- Severe headache,
      dizziness, nausea and vomiting, and central nervous system
      depression. Vision may fail temporarily or permanently after 2-6
      days. In higher doses the above occurs much faster and turn into
      rapid shallow breathing, blood pressure falling, dilation of pupils
      blurring of vision, cyanosis. More than 25% of those who reach this
      level, even in a hospital, still die.
      Chronic poisoning tends to result in visual imparement as the
      first symptom. The only treatment from chronic poisoning is to halt
      all exposure.
      Treating acute cases must be done within 2 hours of ingestion:
      give syrup of ipacac. Lavage thoroughly with 2-4L of tap water with
      sodium bicarbonate (20G/L) added. This is to treat acidosis of the
      blood)
      Antidote: Give ethanol, 50%, 1.5ml per kilo of body weight, orally,
      diluted to no more than a 5% solution, followed by 0.5-1ml/kg every 2
      hours orally for 4 days. ethanol interferes with the absorbtion of
      methanol by the body and allows it to be excreted with less damaging
      effects. Also give up to 4 litres of water daily to maintain
      adequate urine output. Control delirium by giving 10mg valium slowly
      by injection in order to prevent respiratory depression.
      Prognosis:in acute methanol poisoning approx 50% do not recover.
      Visual imparement will show no improvement after 1 week.
      Looking up medical and drug testing labs in the phonebook will help
      you find someplace to send a sample of the stuff your making (say you
      found it in a friend's room and your worried about what he's
      drinking) to see how clean it is.
    • Keith Addison
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2000
        Thanks for this, good summary. Add that you don't have to drink it,
        it's absorbed through the skin. Which makes this recent suggestion
        from the Distillers list maybe not such a brilliant idea:

        >Also some of my older clients are keeping the methanol from each
        >brew, and combining it with a menthalatum mix from the Health Food
        >shop, and rubbing it on their arthritic joints.

        Keith