RE: [new_distillers] Use of Plastics

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2002
      Magpie (collingwood supporter ?)

      I'm in the same setup - I have a plastic offtake tube, and likewise store
      in large plastic containers. I don't know if its wrong or right (you've no
      doubt read Kens warnings about plasticisers), but I do it anyway. My
      advice would be to try and avoid plastic where possible, but don't let it
      stop you from distilling if you can't.

      Tony
    • Geoff Redman
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2002
        Hello magpie,

        magpie2001au wrote:

        > The second, and final point of conflict is the use of a small
        > lenght of "plastic" tube\pipe which is connected to the "outlet"
        > point
        > of the Still and terminates in the "neck" of the 5 litre glass jar. I
        > find it difficult to accept that this piece of "tube" (about 10
        > inches
        > long) is going to cause a "problem" to the product.

        Please believe that a plastic outlet may be a problem. Some plastics will
        disintegrate in a distillate with a high ethanol concentration. Once, I had
        to scrap 4L of 75% abv rum after I realized that the outlet tube had
        disintegrated during the run. I think that the outlet tube was some sort of
        PMMA plastic. Why not just use copper if in any doubt?

        geoff
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2002
          The easiest way is to go the conservative route and not worry about it- don't
          use any plastic, just glass- no questions that way. There are hundreds of
          formulations of plastics in the world, some are safe against everything, some
          dissolve in warm water- most sell their product as "food grade" -but, by the
          strict letter of chemistry law- ethanol is a solvent, not food. I don't know
          a lot about polymer science, and since it is such a big industry, I won't
          believe anyone working for it, specific info on certain plastic can be hard
          to find, and is unreliable when found- avoid it, and the worry it can cause-
          stick with glass.
        • David White
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
            there are only two type of (real) footy supporters, Collingwood supporters, and scum
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
              Hello magpie,
              I do all my brewing in 'plastic' buckets. From there on my reflux column is
              all copper, with s.s. scrubbies. I did have a plastic drain from the
              condenser, a split length of flexible hose around the rim of the kettle to
              act as a seal, and a similar short length of tubing plus plenty of high temp.
              caulking between the lid of the kettle and the circular flange at the base of
              the column.
              I have since removed all plastic tubing (except for my water lines), and
              today plan to dissassemble the column/kettle lid to remove the plastic seal
              and the caulking. As I have a persistent 'synthetics' odor in the
              distillate, and even in the left-over water from the distilled sugar-wash.
              The only synthetic material that I trust absolutely is 'teflon' as it is
              super inert. I used sheets of the stuff to cut those small circular seals
              for inserting in the caps of chemical sample bottles. As I don't have any
              on hand now, I use the white synthetic material from pint-size supermarket
              yoghurt tubs.I have had no trouble with these, and figure that both US and
              Can. food inspection agencies have given that stuff their bureaucratic
              eagle-eye inspection. In fact, a lid from one of those tubs will go as a
              seal into the joint between kettle lid and base of column. I am too
              suspicious of caulking.
              Sorry to be so lengthy,
              Hope this helps,
              John V

              magpie2001au wrote:

              > Hi to all, my first post, notwithstanding I have been reading the
              > group for many months. I have completed my first "run"...the results
              > are pleasing to the taste and I can still "see" ?
              >
              > I am receiving conflicting advice regarding the use of "plastic"
              > utensils during the distilling process and would like clarification
              > from the experts.
              >
              > I have used 5 Litre glass jars to collect the product from the Still.
              > When reduced to the 40% mark I have had to use larger than 5 litre
              > containers and so place the product in a 15 litre "plastic"
              > pail\bucket. This "bucket" is white in colour and is stocked and sold
              > by the local brew shop. The 40% product is in this plastic bucket for
              > a few hours (maybe four) whilst it is processed through the filter
              > and
              > is then again collected to individual 5 litre glass jars.
              >
              > The second, and final point of conflict is the use of a small
              > lenght of "plastic" tube\pipe which is connected to the "outlet"
              > point
              > of the Still and terminates in the "neck" of the 5 litre glass jar. I
              > find it difficult to accept that this piece of "tube" (about 10
              > inches
              > long) is going to cause a "problem" to the product. However, I am
              > unsure about the use of the plastic bucket\pail.
              >
              > Advice and or comment on both points would be appreciated
              > please...Regards to all....\\

            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                storing cold 40% in suitable plastic continers should be fine. ive
                seen 60% alcohol in plastic bottles at the airport. i have a gallon
                of 95% isopropanol which came in a HD PE container.
              • janpam ooms
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                  Hello All,
                  It's good to see that most distillers dont use plastic in any way with their
                  alcohol.I had a posting an this many months ago and was told to take my
                  blinkers off and wake up as it is harmless.
                  I cant remember the fool who wrote this. Anyhow, now it has come to light
                  that even the bags in winecasks leach plastics into the plonk and we drink
                  this stuff.
                  Just have a look at the new plastic Z filter manufactured by who?, which is
                  lauded as the ants pants.
                  Anyone using this contraption continually will wake up to the health problem
                  he or she might have in years to come.
                  Just remember DDT how wonderful that was.
                  Regards. JAN.

                • G&N
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                    I have used a two litre plastic beaker to collect my 90+ percent spirit for
                    over 12 months now and the container is still just fine ...no doubt some
                    plactics would'nt be as good as others but i dont have a worry with it
                    ...plastic is used everywhere nowadays ..........BUT

                    Ethanol is a solvent..........we drink that

                    Ethanol kills brain cells .....we drink that

                    Ethanol is bad for our liver....we drink that

                    Ethanol is a drug............we drink that

                    Ethanol when we distill ...i bet we all sniff it to so see what the product
                    is coming out like.

                    If people are that worried about plastics they shouldnt drink this stuff
                    anyway ...that is my opinion anyway

                    Glenn

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                      Yes, ethanol is a solvent that kills brain cells, but, due to laws of natural
                      selection, it kills the weaker and slower brain cells first, this makes the
                      brain healthier and faster overall.
                    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                        > Yes, ethanol is a solvent that kills brain cells, but, due to
                        > laws of natural
                        > selection, it kills the weaker and slower brain cells first,
                        > this makes the
                        > brain healthier and faster overall.

                        That would explain all those genius' you meet in the pub.
                        They shure do seem to know a lot, particularly the more they've had

                        Tony
                      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                          For more info on the placticiers and their toxicity, see :

                          http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/GDWQ/Chemicals/di2ethylhexyphtafull.htm

                          "..It should be noted that some reported occurrences of DEHP in certain matrices have been found to result from contamination of the latter by plasticizer extracted from plastic tubing or other equipment..." and "..Consequently, the TDI is 25 µg/kg of body weight..."

                          Tony
                        • Lynne
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
                            At 07:25 PM 2/3/02 -0500, ups wrote:
                            >Yes, ethanol is a solvent that kills brain cells, but, due to laws of natural
                            >selection, it kills the weaker and slower brain cells first, this makes the
                            >brain healthier and faster overall.

                            .. aka, the Buffalo Theory : http://www.primenet.com/~machado/adb/buffalo.htm

                            Note in particular, the second part, Tony ;)

                            Lynne
                          • klcampbell
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                              G'day John,teflon is not totally inert in hot ethanol vapour or liquid,it
                              does soften and go spongy but will return to normal as the ethanol
                              evaporates.
                              Nitrile and silicone are both inert and silicone tubing is suitable for
                              extending the outlet from your condenser,Regards,Ken.
> [...]
                              > > containers and so place the product in a 15 litre "plastic"
                              > > pail\bucket. This "bucket" is white in colour and is stocked and sold
                              > > by the local brew shop. The 40% product is in this plastic bucket for
                              > > a few hours (maybe four) whilst it is processed through the filter
                              > > and
                              > > is then again collected to individual 5 litre glass jars.
                              > >
                              > > The second, and final point of conflict is the use of a small
                              > > lenght of "plastic" tube\pipe which is connected to the "outlet"
                              > > point
                              > > of the Still and terminates in the "neck" of the 5 litre glass jar. I
                              > > find it difficult to accept that this piece of "tube" (about 10
                              > > inches
                              > > long) is going to cause a "problem" to the product. However, I am
                              > > unsure about the use of the plastic bucket\pail.
                              > >
                              > > Advice and or comment on both points would be appreciated

                            • magpie2001au
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                                Howdy. I posted the original question re: the use of Plastics a few
                                days ago. I have read the resulting mail with much interest. There
                                seems to be an even divide of opinion.

                                I called into my local "brew" shop this morning and asked the staff
                                for their opinion on the subject. As might have been expected they say
                                providing the product\hose\tubing\utensil is of "FOOD" quality...there
                                will be no problem.

                                It is not my intention to cause argument, but rather to acknowledge
                                the various opinions which have been expressed. For my part I tend to
                                subscribe to that argument which say's...use glass and copper etc
                                whenever possable...and if I have to use plastic...then ensure it is
                                of Food quality. However, you may well ask....if I go into my Brew
                                shop and buy, say, a three litre measuring jug...how do I know it is
                                made of a Food quality material?...and so the circle continues.

                                Regards to all....\\
                              • Ian Macsween
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                                  Good point - I bought a plastic vial for measuring specific gravity of my
                                  wort from the local wine shop - it clouded up and "crazed" the first time I
                                  tried to measure the %APV from one of my "runs". So much for plastic!

                                • confederaterebel@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                                    Might as well keep the pot stirred some. I used to work for a plumbing
                                    company. Every time i got cut on copper tubing they would tell me " hope you
                                    didn't get too much copper in your blood stream you could get real sick if
                                    you do". Now if plastic is bad why is copper not in a still. Both are bad at
                                    high levels. All quality stills have copper, plastic, and rubber in its
                                    construction. The only thing i can say is i've never heard of plastic
                                    poisoning. I've drank more moonshine out of plastic milk jugs than i care to
                                    remember.

                                    Bill
                                  • mattdistiller
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                                      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                                      <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                                      > For more info on the placticiers and their toxicity, see :

                                      http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/GDWQ/Chemicals/di2ethylhexy
                                      phtafull.htm

                                      Hi,

                                      Just to add my 2 cents worth - I don't and won't use plastics with my
                                      alcohol - thats just me. BUT - thats not to say that some plastics
                                      are OK - I don't claim to know.

                                      I have just scanned in a datasheet (from our lab) with info on
                                      different plastics (resins) and how they react to chemicals. I have
                                      only included the ethanol data - all up, the entire table is 6 pages
                                      long!

                                      You can find the sheet in the files area of this group:

                                      olplasticdata.gif

                                      It is fairly large (300k) but I scanned it so it would print out OK
                                      on a normal printer.

                                      I won't interpret all the data - but I will say by the looks of it,
                                      there are some plastics which could be OK, and others that are a
                                      definite no! That said, this is a laboratory guide, not necessarily
                                      a guide for human consumption! So use the data at your own risk!

                                      Matt
                                    • peter_vcb
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 5, 2002
                                        > I called into my local "brew" shop this morning and asked the staff
                                        > for their opinion on the subject. As might have been expected they
                                        say
                                        > providing the product\hose\tubing\utensil is of "FOOD"
                                        quality...there
                                        > will be no problem.

                                        did you tell them that 95% boiling ethanol vapours would be passing
                                        through the item?

                                        many years ago i made distilled some alcohol it tasted like it came
                                        out at about 30%. it was passed through a food grade tube from a
                                        homebrew shop. when i added water to the alcohol it turned milky,
                                        plastic precipitating out!

                                        > subscribe to that argument which say's...use glass and copper etc
                                        > whenever possable...and if I have to use plastic...then ensure it
                                        is
                                        > of Food quality. However, you may well ask....if I go into my Brew
                                        > shop and buy, say, a three litre measuring jug...how do I know it
                                        is
                                        > made of a Food quality material?...and so the circle continues.

                                        that is what i do. my still is mainly 316 stainless then copper then
                                        glass. i use small amounts of food grade silicone tube to seal some
                                        joints and i use food grade silicone sealant for my gasket on top of
                                        my keg. i am not sure what the exact differences are between normal
                                        silicone and food grade. i know the food grade sealant contains
                                        fungicides in it (dont know if this is the only difference). if your
                                        measuring jug is food grade they should be shouting about it. the
                                        company i work in must use food grade plastics and we have trouble
                                        finding them and can pay over twice the price for them. it might be
                                        worthwhile looking up chemical supply companies posing as a student.