Re: potstill

  • dennistiller
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
      What %quality of alchohol would you get from a still like this on 1
      run say with a 15% wash.
      Dennis

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "stillcooker" <stillcooker@y...> wrote:
      > I guess the cooling element is so large, because they just don't
      like
      > adding fresh cold water too often during the process. I have seem
      the
      > same picture on the web. I understood that they have had it
      > manufactured in order to give the students some practical
      experience
      > in distilling.
      >
      > I have a few copper potstills in production for many years (a 15
      > liter and a 50 liter). It is a very easy design and can be made
      from
      > standard parts.
      > Cheers
      >
      > StillCooker - http://geocities.com/stillcooker
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello All,
      > > I found the attached image of a potstill in a website of one of
      > these
      > > whisky associations. It is a modern portable and functional
      version
      > of a
      > > traditional small potstill, hauled out for instructional
      sessions.
      > There
      > > were no dimensions or volumes provided, but I took some
      > measurements off an
      > > enlargement, assuming that the white pitcher is around 20cm
      tall.
      > Kettle
      > > and column together stand around 0.8m, column and lyne arm each
      > around
      > > 35cm, and kettle volume around 2L. That all seems reasonable,
      but
      > I sure
      > > can not figure the size of the cooling system. Why so large?
      > > John V
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
        Hello Dennis, if you are referring to the one shown in my earlier e-mail - I would think just what everyone else gets with their home-rig, and depending on the cut-off temps - around 50-70%abv?  I am at this very moment brewing up a corn-whisky (a la Smiley's book), which I will run thru my reflux column minus the s.s. scrubbies.  I would think that the column will then operate like an oversized potstill column - and I would shoot for that sort of product concentration.
        [I will build a proper potstill in time.  This use of the 'emasculated' reflux column is temporary.]
        John V

        Monitoring Service trial
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM

      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2002
          Hello Geof,
          My outline of how I select the different cuts was worked out with my reflux column,
          and then applied to my recent pot still runs.
          With the pot still - sofar 2 batches corn liquor (Smiley's recipe), 2 batches of malt
          syrup based whisky recipes (ups), and 2 batches of all-grain whisky (ups). Each was
          actually done in 1/2 batches and distillates were then combined and re-run. So, all
          combined - 15 runs - no wonder it seems like I've been down in the basement most of
          the last month.
          John V

          Geoff Redman wrote:

          > Hey John V,
          >
          > > With the pot still I tend to be a
          > > bit more generous
          >
          > Is your pot still up and running then? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of
          > spirits have you distilled so far?
          >
          > geoff

          ├┐WPC5
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2002
            How did the malt whiskey batches turn out (the syrup and the grain)?
          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 17, 2002
              Hello All,
              For the potstillers in the crowd, herewith are a couple of photos of my
              "potstill" setup.

              For sealing the lid to the kettle I laid a bead of high temp silicone along

              the (very narrow) rim of the kettle, and let that 'set' (cure) for a few
              hours. I did NOT put silicone on the edge of the lid! (The lid comes off
              easily, without sticking after a run.) The lid is simply placed onto the
              bead of cured silicone, and a strip of duct-tape was then applied around
              the rim-joint to close any small gaps. The lid-rim edge was then clamped
              firmly with half a dozen small visegrips.

              (That cured bead of silicone will actually last me through several runs.
              From time to time I may have to add a little silicone here and there as
              spots come loose.)

              The kettle is a 20qt s.s. kettle; admittedly of thin material as it was
              lowly-priced. However, sofar I have had no problems. The heat source is a

              1000watt single element hot plate, rewired so as to bypass the thermostat
              in the switch mechanism, so as to prevent surging.

              The potstill column is bolted to the lid by a flange. A layer of silicone
              was first applied between lid and flange. This has formed a very secure
              seal.

              I keep the lyne arm tipped slightly downward to capture flavour.
              Everything else is self-evident, I think. The water for the condenser runs

              at a very low trickle.

              As shown here, it gives me around 35-42%abs on first distillation, bringing

              that up to around 80%abv on second run.

              John V
            • John Vandermeulen
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 23, 2002
                Hello all,
                I found the photo of this potstill in a website belonging to the Nepal
                Distilleries Co. - allegedly the oldest distillery in the kingdom of
                Nepal. Ain't it a beaut??
                John V
              • John Vandermeulen
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
                  Hi Andy,
                  good photo! - you may have mentioned this already, but what is the fitting
                  that affixes the riser to the pot lid, please?
                  John V