RE: FW: 2m Column

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
      > On the subject of scrubbers I have 18 on the 1.2 column. How many
      > should one have on the 2m?

      Just scale them up to keep the same number per meter ...
      18 x (2/1.2) = 30

      Tony
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
        > if i have a column tall enough eg 2 or 3 metres do i really
        > need any reflux at all.

        You will always need some reflux. Without that liquid flowing back down
        over the packing, there will be nothing to purify the rising vapour.
        You'd just have a tall pot still.

        If you didn't insulate the column, then there might be some condensing
        happening on the sides of the column, and refluxing, but thats not what you
        want. Its too uncontrolled, and wont do the job properly. You want the
        reflux to be a deliberate action, generated above the top of the packing
        (so that it gets to flow down over all the packing). If it were just off
        side cooling, then its not using the full height of the column, and it wont
        be distributed well through the packing.

        A taller column will allow you to run less reflux (eg say 3:1 instead of
        4:1), but it will always require reflux, and still a good proportion of it.
        A taller column is only of use if the reflux is using all that height.

        Tony