Re: potstill

  • stillcooker
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
      I guess the cooling element is so large, because they just don't like
      adding fresh cold water too often during the process. I have seem the
      same picture on the web. I understood that they have had it
      manufactured in order to give the students some practical experience
      in distilling.

      I have a few copper potstills in production for many years (a 15
      liter and a 50 liter). It is a very easy design and can be made from
      standard parts.
      Cheers

      StillCooker - http://geocities.com/stillcooker

      --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
      wrote:
      > Hello All,
      > I found the attached image of a potstill in a website of one of
      these
      > whisky associations. It is a modern portable and functional version
      of a
      > traditional small potstill, hauled out for instructional sessions.
      There
      > were no dimensions or volumes provided, but I took some
      measurements off an
      > enlargement, assuming that the white pitcher is around 20cm tall.
      Kettle
      > and column together stand around 0.8m, column and lyne arm each
      around
      > 35cm, and kettle volume around 2L. That all seems reasonable, but
      I sure
      > can not figure the size of the cooling system. Why so large?
      > John V
    • dennistiller
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
        What %quality of alchohol would you get from a still like this on 1
        run say with a 15% wash.
        Dennis

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "stillcooker" <stillcooker@y...> wrote:
        > I guess the cooling element is so large, because they just don't
        like
        > adding fresh cold water too often during the process. I have seem
        the
        > same picture on the web. I understood that they have had it
        > manufactured in order to give the students some practical
        experience
        > in distilling.
        >
        > I have a few copper potstills in production for many years (a 15
        > liter and a 50 liter). It is a very easy design and can be made
        from
        > standard parts.
        > Cheers
        >
        > StillCooker - http://geocities.com/stillcooker
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hello All,
        > > I found the attached image of a potstill in a website of one of
        > these
        > > whisky associations. It is a modern portable and functional
        version
        > of a
        > > traditional small potstill, hauled out for instructional
        sessions.
        > There
        > > were no dimensions or volumes provided, but I took some
        > measurements off an
        > > enlargement, assuming that the white pitcher is around 20cm
        tall.
        > Kettle
        > > and column together stand around 0.8m, column and lyne arm each
        > around
        > > 35cm, and kettle volume around 2L. That all seems reasonable,
        but
        > I sure
        > > can not figure the size of the cooling system. Why so large?
        > > John V
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
          Hello Dennis, if you are referring to the one shown in my earlier e-mail - I would think just what everyone else gets with their home-rig, and depending on the cut-off temps - around 50-70%abv?  I am at this very moment brewing up a corn-whisky (a la Smiley's book), which I will run thru my reflux column minus the s.s. scrubbies.  I would think that the column will then operate like an oversized potstill column - and I would shoot for that sort of product concentration.
          [I will build a proper potstill in time.  This use of the 'emasculated' reflux column is temporary.]
          John V

          Monitoring Service trial
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM

        • John Vandermeulen
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2002
            Hello Geof,
            My outline of how I select the different cuts was worked out with my reflux column,
            and then applied to my recent pot still runs.
            With the pot still - sofar 2 batches corn liquor (Smiley's recipe), 2 batches of malt
            syrup based whisky recipes (ups), and 2 batches of all-grain whisky (ups). Each was
            actually done in 1/2 batches and distillates were then combined and re-run. So, all
            combined - 15 runs - no wonder it seems like I've been down in the basement most of
            the last month.
            John V

            Geoff Redman wrote:

            > Hey John V,
            >
            > > With the pot still I tend to be a
            > > bit more generous
            >
            > Is your pot still up and running then? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of
            > spirits have you distilled so far?
            >
            > geoff

            ├┐WPC5
          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 15, 2002
              How did the malt whiskey batches turn out (the syrup and the grain)?
            • John Vandermeulen
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 17, 2002
                Hello All,
                For the potstillers in the crowd, herewith are a couple of photos of my
                "potstill" setup.

                For sealing the lid to the kettle I laid a bead of high temp silicone along

                the (very narrow) rim of the kettle, and let that 'set' (cure) for a few
                hours. I did NOT put silicone on the edge of the lid! (The lid comes off
                easily, without sticking after a run.) The lid is simply placed onto the
                bead of cured silicone, and a strip of duct-tape was then applied around
                the rim-joint to close any small gaps. The lid-rim edge was then clamped
                firmly with half a dozen small visegrips.

                (That cured bead of silicone will actually last me through several runs.
                From time to time I may have to add a little silicone here and there as
                spots come loose.)

                The kettle is a 20qt s.s. kettle; admittedly of thin material as it was
                lowly-priced. However, sofar I have had no problems. The heat source is a

                1000watt single element hot plate, rewired so as to bypass the thermostat
                in the switch mechanism, so as to prevent surging.

                The potstill column is bolted to the lid by a flange. A layer of silicone
                was first applied between lid and flange. This has formed a very secure
                seal.

                I keep the lyne arm tipped slightly downward to capture flavour.
                Everything else is self-evident, I think. The water for the condenser runs

                at a very low trickle.

                As shown here, it gives me around 35-42%abs on first distillation, bringing

                that up to around 80%abv on second run.

                John V
              • John Vandermeulen
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 23, 2002
                  Hello all,
                  I found the photo of this potstill in a website belonging to the Nepal
                  Distilleries Co. - allegedly the oldest distillery in the kingdom of
                  Nepal. Ain't it a beaut??
                  John V
                • John Vandermeulen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
                    Hi Andy,
                    good photo! - you may have mentioned this already, but what is the fitting
                    that affixes the riser to the pot lid, please?
                    John V