RE: [new_distillers] Re: Fermentaion using only molasses

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
      > Maybe play conservative, and not add if all upfront,
      > but rather wait and see how the fermentation goes, adding more only when it
      > drops below SG 1.1 ?

      Oops.. meant to say .. below 1.010

      Tony
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
        I use two of those little 5 gram packets for each five gallons of mash. I
        don't stir at all- there is no grain/fruit to mash down, anyway. It
        typically takes about a week to ferment out and to begin clarifying on it's
        own.
      • mattdistiller
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2002
          Hi everyone,

          After all the discussion recently about Brix, Balling, SG and sugar,
          I went away and a bit of searching and maths.

          Heres what I found:

          a) Brix, Balling and Plato are all measures of specific gravity of
          sugar solutions, where 1 unit is equivalent to 1% w/w solution
          sugar. So 1o = 1% sugar; 20o = 20% sugar

          b) You can convert Brix/Balling/Plato to SG:

          { Brix /(258.6-([Brix/258.2]*227.1)} + 1 = Specific gravity
          or
          Brix = 258.6 / [ 0.88 + 1/(sg-1)]

          So using this, I have made up two tables - one for converting SG to
          Brix, and the other from Brix to SG. I have expanded the tables so
          that the sugar/water quantities to make up the solutions of a
          specific SG or Brix value can be done in three ways:
          i) Number of grams sugar added to water to make up 1000g of solution
          ii) Number of grams of sugar added to 1000g (1000mL) water to make
          up the solution
          iii) Number of grams of sugar made up to a volume of 1000mL with water

          You can download the tables from:

          gconversion.doc

          Hope this is helpful for someone!

          If anyone finds any errors, please let me know and I'll try and fix
          them.

          Matt