Re: [new_distillers] Re: Fermentaion using only molasses

  • Brandon Lee
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
      hello-- read your post on making rum and was
      wondereing how much yeast--do u stir it daily -- how
      long to ferment--etc-- thanks
      blueflame456
      --- ups474@... wrote:
      > I've made good rum by using half sugar and half
      > molasses. IF the molasses
      > is bitter tasting (most feed store molasses is),
      > then it's strong enough to
      > make a solid flavored rum, even when it only makes
      > up half of the
      > fermentables. Hell, a 4 gallon bucket of molasses,
      > 25 pounds of sugar, and
      > 20 gallons of water made a good (and cheap) rum for
      > me more than once.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
        > Maybe play conservative, and not add if all upfront,
        > but rather wait and see how the fermentation goes, adding more only when it
        > drops below SG 1.1 ?

        Oops.. meant to say .. below 1.010

        Tony
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
          I use two of those little 5 gram packets for each five gallons of mash. I
          don't stir at all- there is no grain/fruit to mash down, anyway. It
          typically takes about a week to ferment out and to begin clarifying on it's
          own.
        • mattdistiller
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2002
            Hi everyone,

            After all the discussion recently about Brix, Balling, SG and sugar,
            I went away and a bit of searching and maths.

            Heres what I found:

            a) Brix, Balling and Plato are all measures of specific gravity of
            sugar solutions, where 1 unit is equivalent to 1% w/w solution
            sugar. So 1o = 1% sugar; 20o = 20% sugar

            b) You can convert Brix/Balling/Plato to SG:

            { Brix /(258.6-([Brix/258.2]*227.1)} + 1 = Specific gravity
            or
            Brix = 258.6 / [ 0.88 + 1/(sg-1)]

            So using this, I have made up two tables - one for converting SG to
            Brix, and the other from Brix to SG. I have expanded the tables so
            that the sugar/water quantities to make up the solutions of a
            specific SG or Brix value can be done in three ways:
            i) Number of grams sugar added to water to make up 1000g of solution
            ii) Number of grams of sugar added to 1000g (1000mL) water to make
            up the solution
            iii) Number of grams of sugar made up to a volume of 1000mL with water

            You can download the tables from:

            gconversion.doc

            Hope this is helpful for someone!

            If anyone finds any errors, please let me know and I'll try and fix
            them.

            Matt