Re: Fermentaion using only molasses

  • mattdistiller
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
      > If all this use of "Brix" has confused you, they explain it as .....
      > Balling (or Brix) A scale used to measure the
      > specific gravity of a liquid in relation to that of
      > a solution of sugar in water. Each unit on the
      > scale is equivalent to 1% by weight of sugar.
      > Thus a mash of 20 o Balling has the same
      > specific gravity as a 20% w/w sugar solution.
      > The scale is frequently considered to indicate
      > % dissolved solids in a liquid, although this is
      > only true of solutions of pure sugar.
      <snip>
      > The measurement is accomplished
      > by use of a Balling (or Brix) hydrometer.

      I guess you can also do a conversion from a 'normal' SG hydrometer?

      I'm a little confused by all the above, as some of the calculations
      don't seem to work out for me.

      If a Balling unit is a 1% w/w sugar solution, then this is equivalent
      to 10g of sugar per 1000g water, which by definition is then 10g
      sugar per 1000mL water. True?

      This being the case, 20 o Balling is 200g sugar per 1000mL. True?

      OK then. My hydrometer has a little chart which comes with it,
      giving SG readings, the corresponding sugar/L and potential alcohol
      (%) - I can scan it in if you would like to see it.

      This tells me (with a little maths on my part) that:
      10 g/L sugar = SG 1.004 = 1 o Balling
      100g/L sugar = SG 1.038 = 10 o Balling
      200g/L sugar = SG 1.077 = 20 o Balling
      800g/L sugar = SG 1.304 = 80 o Balling

      Now, in your calculation, you say that:

      > When diluting molasses, it must be
      > remembered that the Brix scale measures on a
      > weight % basis and all calculations must be based
      > on weight and not volume. 80 o Brix molasses
      > has a specific gravity of 1.416, therefore a gallon

      Now is this is a bit different to my calculation (above) of 80 o
      Balling = SG 1.304. Is this because of the extra stuff (non-sugar)
      in the mollasses? Or have I stuffed something up?

      Confused,

      Matt
    • Brandon Lee
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
        hello-- read your post on making rum and was
        wondereing how much yeast--do u stir it daily -- how
        long to ferment--etc-- thanks
        blueflame456
        --- ups474@... wrote:
        > I've made good rum by using half sugar and half
        > molasses. IF the molasses
        > is bitter tasting (most feed store molasses is),
        > then it's strong enough to
        > make a solid flavored rum, even when it only makes
        > up half of the
        > fermentables. Hell, a 4 gallon bucket of molasses,
        > 25 pounds of sugar, and
        > 20 gallons of water made a good (and cheap) rum for
        > me more than once.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
          > Maybe play conservative, and not add if all upfront,
          > but rather wait and see how the fermentation goes, adding more only when it
          > drops below SG 1.1 ?

          Oops.. meant to say .. below 1.010

          Tony
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
            I use two of those little 5 gram packets for each five gallons of mash. I
            don't stir at all- there is no grain/fruit to mash down, anyway. It
            typically takes about a week to ferment out and to begin clarifying on it's
            own.
          • mattdistiller
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2002
              Hi everyone,

              After all the discussion recently about Brix, Balling, SG and sugar,
              I went away and a bit of searching and maths.

              Heres what I found:

              a) Brix, Balling and Plato are all measures of specific gravity of
              sugar solutions, where 1 unit is equivalent to 1% w/w solution
              sugar. So 1o = 1% sugar; 20o = 20% sugar

              b) You can convert Brix/Balling/Plato to SG:

              { Brix /(258.6-([Brix/258.2]*227.1)} + 1 = Specific gravity
              or
              Brix = 258.6 / [ 0.88 + 1/(sg-1)]

              So using this, I have made up two tables - one for converting SG to
              Brix, and the other from Brix to SG. I have expanded the tables so
              that the sugar/water quantities to make up the solutions of a
              specific SG or Brix value can be done in three ways:
              i) Number of grams sugar added to water to make up 1000g of solution
              ii) Number of grams of sugar added to 1000g (1000mL) water to make
              up the solution
              iii) Number of grams of sugar made up to a volume of 1000mL with water

              You can download the tables from:

              gconversion.doc

              Hope this is helpful for someone!

              If anyone finds any errors, please let me know and I'll try and fix
              them.

              Matt