RE: [new_distillers] (unknown)

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2000
      Well spotted. I guess it depends of the concentration of the ingredients.
      The original 100g was the instructions on the packet of nutrients I had
      bought at the time, whereas the 60g is the instruction that followed the
      recipe for making your own (out of a winemaking book I think). It shouldn't
      make too much difference, but probably err on the side of caution eg more 60
      than 100. Its all better than using none.

      Tony

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 7, 2001
        Hello Jaron,welcome to the club.Tell me first where you live and i will
        email you some recipes. Regards Jan.

        >From: jaron dalle cort <jaron123@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] (unknown)
        >Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 07:06:30 -0700 (PDT)
        >

        >dear fellow distillers
        >
        >i am very new to the distilling hobbie i just got a 50L distill and a
        >carbonator. i put thought my fisrt wash and got 75percent alchol but
        >watered it down to 30 percent. any way i want to find out some resipy's for
        >some good tasting burban.
        >
        >and some people web sites of there setups
        >
        >thanks

      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 28, 2001
          Hans,
          VERY informative e-mail!! I will re-read it later on in the day, and then
          maybe pose better qu'ns. For now - what is "abv" and "HETP"?

        • hansjd30@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 28, 2001
            --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
            wrote:
            > Hans,
            > VERY informative e-mail!! I will re-read it later on in the day,
            and then
            > maybe pose better qu'ns. For now - what is "abv" and "HETP"?

            Hi John
            abv Stands for [Alcohol By Volume] We distillers get between say 50%
            to 95% abv and water it down to around 40% abv before flavouring and
            drinking.
            HETP Stands for Height Equivalent to a Theoretical Plate. Best if you
            read Tonys site http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller and then go
            to Theory. He can explane it much better than I can.

            Good luck
            Hans
          • Travis Coward
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2002
              im collecting things to build a still out of, i figure ill use copper pipe for the head/condenser assembly, but for the boiler i found a "water seperator" and im not sure what its made out of. its like aluminum, or something, im not sure, can anybody tell me what kind of metals are ok to use for a boiler, and any that you should stay away from?

              _____

              Do You Yahoo!?

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1015450259%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/R=1>
              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/rand=339209013>

            • dave trunks

                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2002
                  G'day STDZ,do not use P.V.C.pipe for any part of your still,especially the
                  condenser,hot ethanol is highly solvent of all P.V.C. components.Find some
                  copper or stainless tube and save your health,Regards,Ken.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 24, 2004
                    www.homebrewheaven.com has some well priced stainless steel pots you can look
                    at. Good luck. Chris

                  • ernie
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 14, 2004
                      Try a marine supply and lots of money

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 14, 2004
                        You can use the inexpensive floor flange if you seal the exposed
                        threads with hi temp silicon sealer .....

                        Kim

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ernie" <ecosta@p...> wrote:

                        > Try a marine supply and lots of money

                      • Laurens W
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 14, 2004
                          How about a 2" stainless Sink Flange from Plumbing supplies.
                          Thats what i use and it has a nut so it can be screwed on in stead of welded
                          on.
                          > where in the states can i order a brass or stainless 2" floor flange
                          > from? all i can find around here is galvanized mild steel which i
                          > would not like to use atall
                          >
                          > thanks,
                          >
                          > Jeremy

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • donald holcombe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 28, 2006
                            What Do you mean it has Copper Parts?? Clean it up and if its Solid   FIRE THAT BAD BOY UP !!! Id give my left nut to find one of my Grandads old Hand made Copper Stills ! Solid Copper is the only way to COOK.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 28, 2006
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                              <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                              > What Do you mean it has Copper Parts?? Clean it up and if its
                              Solid FIRE THAT BAD BOY UP !!! Id give my left nut to find one of
                              my Grandads old Hand made Copper Stills ! Solid Copper is the only
                              way to COOK.

                              Heh, I'm thinking if he does a bit of digging & fossicking around
                              that property, he just might come across a stash of lightnin' that
                              didn't make it to market, or revenoors thirsty bellies. ;-)

                              If it's old lead joints, de-solder 'em, clean it up with a wire
                              brush & sandpaper, re-solder with silver solder. Job done!

                            • donald holcombe
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 28, 2006
                                My Grandad made stills and tube from sheet copper. He said fold the joints and put the seam on top. His heart gave out at 90 but his brain was better than mine!  I feel like I was raised in Broken Hill sometimes . My Thinker dont always Thunk what I want .We used a lot of Arsonic to hand poison tobacco for Bud worms.Mixed 100Lb sacks of corn meal and 10Lb bags of Lead arsonic by hand. I figure if it aint got me yet. The likker is Killing the Bad stuff. LATER