Why I will stay away from aluminium

  • idahomole
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2008
      I have a reflux still that is working very well for me (92%alc) so I
      figured I would build a pot still. I pulled an old (ancient) aluminium
      pressure cooker out of my shed, bought some copper and put it together.
      Ran a box of cheap wine through it and it tasted nasty! Then tried 2
      small runs with 50%alc and equal amounts of fruit juice and
      again....nasty! My son suggested running water and seeing what that was
      like....Nasty! Yesterday I used a 5 gallon SS pot I had for beer
      brewing and did a fruit juice and alc run and walaa, something tastey!
      I think the aluminium has oxidized the intire thinkness of the pressure
      cooker and despite repeated cleaning/scrubbing it continues to leach
      out.
      Problem solved, lesson learned, and now on to the next....
      I hope this helps someone save some time and headache in the future.

      Mole
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2008
        Yes Mole,

        As a matter of fact, my first 2 gallon boiler was aluminum. After
        just a few runs it pitted out so bad that started leaking from the
        bottom and had to patch it... I agree.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@...>