RUM

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2008
      Hi Harry,
      A couple of years back you posted a recipe for rum. I had it on
      my old computer in Ireland but in the move I've lost it. It was a good
      spoon feed recipe with the explaination of what dunder was, when to add
      it, the lot, can you point me in the right direction for this recipe
      Geoff
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
        <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi Harry,
        > A couple of years back you posted a recipe for rum. I had it on
        > my old computer in Ireland but in the move I've lost it. It was a
        good
        > spoon feed recipe with the explaination of what dunder was, when to
        add
        > it, the lot, can you point me in the right direction for this recipe
        > Geoff

        Hey Geoff,

        I believe your talking about that Famous Harry's Great Grandad's Rum
        recipe. Im sure Harry will correct me if wrong. And BTW, thanks for
        the congrats.

        But here it is:

        Harry's Grand-dads recipe:
        How to make Rum out of Molasses and Brown sugar.

        Take 4 gals molasses and 10 lbs sugar. Mix these together in 16 gals
        water. Now you commence setting mash in large wooden casks (not in any
        tin vessels) - only a wooden cask for good results. Put the above in
        cask the 1st day then when nearly cool add 1 ale bottle full of yeast
        (which is to start mask working). Remember when you put in the 4 gals
        molasses and the 10 lbs sugar into cask - have a little paddle made for
        stirring and stir constantly for fully 1/4 of an hour to blend things
        together, these will be mixed in hot water (not boiling) but just so as
        you can put your fingers in it without getting scalded. The hot water
        will melt the sugar and molasses splendidly and will give you more
        spirits and better rum. After you're finished stirring the 1st days lot
        also boil 8 lbs of old potatoes in muslin bag and put into the mash
        with yeast. And also with the yeast and 8 lbs potatoes you boil about
        3/4 of a milk bucket of old maize in a sugar bag tied like a pudding
        and dont forget to drop this in the 1st days mash with the potatoes and
        yeast and again stirr well. This finishes the 1st days mash and dont
        take them out till the mash is fit to go into the boiler on the fire
        for distilling.

        Second days setting. Put another 4 gals molasses and 10 lbs sugar into
        cask on top of the 1st days setting and stir well for fully ten
        minutes. This finishes the 2nd days setting.

        Third days setting. Add another 4 gals molasses and 16 gallons water
        (no sugar) and again stir well (this finishes the setting of the mash).

        To know when this is fit to put through you will see a little scum of
        bubbles will come to the top now and again. This will continue for two
        days sometimes three days then when scum is at its highest and starts
        to drop (Brew it). Don't forget when you finish the 3rd days setting to
        put a bag over the top of the cask then the lid belonging to cask on
        top of bag and a weight on top of it to keep warm and airtight. Have an
        occasional look at the cask when you finish setting the 3rd day because
        it works sometimes in 36 hours according to the hot or cold weather. In
        summer time it works a lot quicker than winter so a good idea is to
        brew in the summer time and stow away to get a bit of age so as it will
        not be too new to the taste, then sell in winter time when rum is more
        freely drank.

        Now to make good rum to sell you want to know when distilling when to
        cut off the good rum from the second class stuff and the only way to do
        this is to get a hydrometer. (High means good spirits, low means poor
        spirits). You place this under the end of the worm in whatever you are
        catching the spirits in and as this vessel starts to get more than 1/2
        full this hydrometer will start to float and register whatever proof
        the spirits is that you are making.

        Now you always want two vessels one to catch the good 1st class spirits
        and immediately the hydrometer begins to register too low a reading
        pull the 1st class vessel away and pop the 2nd vessel under in its
        place to catch the 2nd class spirits. After a good while just have a
        teaspoon with you and dip same into the the 2nd class and throw a spoon
        full now and again into the fire and if it flares up like kero or meths
        that would be thrown in keep on as this is a sign there is still good
        2nd hand spirits in the brew but after a while when what you throw in
        fire quenches the fire like water stop as this is the sign that you
        have taken all the spirits out of the mash. Anyhow you can taste it and
        if it has an alumny taste draw the charge from boiler and fill up again
        for another boil up.

        Now the 2nd's have to be stowed away to themselves in a vessel and all
        the good 1st class stuff put to themselves as this 1st class brew is
        ready for sale without further distilling but in order to bring the 2nd
        class stuff to 1st class you have to put it through the still the 2nd
        time then it is 1st class and can now be stowed away with the other 1st
        class brew.

        Now the next thing to know is how to do up your white spirits and tone
        it up for sale. Here is the rinkle. Aways put your spirits away in a
        large cask, or a wine cask is the best as rum and wine taste alike.
        Never put rum in a cask that beer has been in or you will spoil its
        taste. When you put it in the wine cask leave the bung hole open for 24
        hours and as soon as you put it in the cask make a small curtain bag
        and put about a match box full of cloves in it and let down the bung
        hole tied with long piece of string so as you can lift it out. Then get
        a good well ripened pineapple and peel it and cut it in narrow strips
        about the length of a cigar and twice as thick and poke these down the
        bung hole, then get about 3/4 of an ordinary teacup full of seeded
        raisins and put these down the bung of cask into the spirits with the
        others, then put the bung back in cask and stow it away. Then when you
        are ready to sell your rum it is in its natural white state. Now you
        have to colour it for sale. Now to properly colour rum use white sugar
        not brown because it will make the rum too cloudy and dull and dark
        looking.

        So in order to have a good clear clean bright looking spirit in a glass
        for drinking always use white sugar for colouring purposes. Buy a small
        frying pan for this purpose and dont use it for any other means because
        any greasy sediment will show in the coloured spirit. To colour say 5
        gals rum put about 1/2 teacup of white sugar to start with in the pan,
        not over a blazing fire but on red hot coals; these should not be too
        strong to overburn the sugar or your rum will have a bad burnt taste so
        be careful and burn sugar to a good clean dark brown bubble. Keep
        moving the sugar in the pan with a long stirrer so as to evenly brown
        every grain then pour a cup of cold water in the pan on top of sugar at
        the same time stirring. When sufficiently stirred pour into a good
        clean bright quart bottle for colouring with. Of course you keep on
        burning sugar making bottles of the colouring till you have sufficient
        to colour your rum as it will keep in a bottle for a long time. The
        best guide is to buy a few shillings worth of good rum in a bright
        bottle and have this alongside of yours when you are colouring and you
        can compare the two so as you will not overdo things in the colouring
        or not give it enough colour.

        Now everything is ready & OK for sale.

        Finally i nearly forgot to mention when you are taking the rum out of
        the cask for colouring. When you colour, strain thoroughly before you
        put away for sale as the pineapple and cloves and raisins always leave
        a sediment and you in order to have a real clean article must strain
        real well.

        Don't forget to get fully 22 feet of pure tin piping for the worm and 1
        inch which means 7/8 waterway and when the worm is made must be coiled
        so as a gradual incline to lead the spirits through and no uphill
        position in the making as this means a blockage in flow and cause the
        mash to boil over. Get a good plumber to make the worm for you, should
        you not be able to get the pure tin you will have to get copper. But
        tin is more easy to clean all you have to do with tin after you finish
        each grew is to pour a bucket of cold water through it and it is always
        bright and clean. Understand when you are setting worm in cask at
        bottom it sticks out about fully 3 or 4 inches on a slight slope
        through a watertight hole through cask into catching vessel.

        When distilling the 2nds in the white spirits state be careful not to
        have too strong a fire as this is very inflammable and will blow up so
        be carefull.

        Say you have 5 gals of 2nd class brew cut off from the 1st class. When
        you put this into the boiler to distil put about 1/2 gal clean water in
        with it and it wont blow up, the water wont harm the brew, it will be
        of benefit to it and the rum wont be so fiery to taste.

        For any second treatment the putting through of white spirits a person
        really wants a very much smaller boiler as the 50 gal boiler is too
        big. You only really need about a 10 gal boiler and you can have one
        made at the same time to just have the same size neck so as to fit the
        lid & pipe & worm & all and when boiling a mash use the 50 gal boiler,
        you never want to fill the boiler with mash - only slightly over 1/2
        full or it will boil over in spite of you as it is just as hard to keep
        from boiling over as milk.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.
      • burrows206
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2008
          Hi Jim,
          No Jim that's not the one, thanks all the same. That's an all
          time classic though and one of my favorate reads just visualizing how
          they went about doing it in the old ways without blowing themselves
          up is a mystery to me. I would just like to get a hold of some of
          that pure tin pipe with a 1" outside diameter,7/8" inside diameter
          and 26 foot of it. I`ll do me another search on the forum home page
          thanks for your help though
          Geoff

          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

> [...]
          water in
          > with it and it wont blow up, the water wont harm the brew, it will
          be
          > of benefit to it and the rum wont be so fiery to taste.
          >
          > For any second treatment the putting through of white spirits a
          person
          > really wants a very much smaller boiler as the 50 gal boiler is too
          > big. You only really need about a 10 gal boiler and you can have
          one
          > made at the same time to just have the same size neck so as to fit
          the
          > lid & pipe & worm & all and when boiling a mash use the 50 gal
          boiler,
          > you never want to fill the boiler with mash - only slightly over
          1/2
          > full or it will boil over in spite of you as it is just as hard to

        • mavnkaf
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10, 2008
            Hi Geoff, Some time ago I asked Harry for a 50 litre easy rum
            recipe.

            <snip>
            ...........10 litres molasses, 20 litres hot water, 20 litres
            dunder, juice of 2 lemons, 3 or 4 multi-B-vitamins for good measure,
            just in case the molasses is lacking anything (extra doesn't hurt. I
            use those big "Berocca" morning after fizzies). Clarify the
            molasses overnight with the first 20 L hot water. Next day set up
            the fermenter (it needs to be a 60 litre container to leave room for
            foaming), add everything else (minus the sludge), aerate with a
            vigorous stir-up, pitch the yeast (use plenty; I use anything up to
            300 gms of granulated bakers, rehydrated). Airlock it, then stand
            back. :)
            <snip>

            I have tried this recipe many times and it works really well. The
            step
            about the "Clarify the molasses overnight with the first 20 L hot
            water", must not be missed. Not to sure which recipe you were after,
            if you wanted a 20L reicpe, you could split it in two washes?

            Cheers
            Marc

            <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

            > Hi Harry,
            > A couple of years back you posted a recipe for rum. I had it
            on
            > my old computer in Ireland but in the move I've lost it. It was a
            good
            > spoon feed recipe with the explaination of what dunder was, when to
            add
            > it, the lot, can you point me in the right direction for this
            recipe
            > Geoff

          • burrows206
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
              Hi Marc,
              This is not quite the one but it sure looks a good one, that's
              a keeper for me anyway. The one I was referring to had dunder added
              and Harry went to great trouble to explain what dunder was and when
              top add it and on which stripping run. How to clarify the molasses
              and reason why this needs to be done. My memory is fading a bit now
              but will keep searching and reading the message achieves thanks
              anyway Marc
              Geoff

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

              > Hi Geoff, Some time ago I asked Harry for a 50 litre easy rum
              > recipe.
              >

              > <snip>
              > ...........10 litres molasses, 20 litres hot water, 20 litres
              > dunder, juice of 2 lemons, 3 or 4 multi-B-vitamins for good measure,
              > just in case the molasses is lacking anything (extra doesn't hurt. I
              > use those big "Berocca" morning after fizzies). Clarify the
              > molasses overnight with the first 20 L hot water. Next day set up
              > the fermenter (it needs to be a 60 litre container to leave room for
              > foaming), add everything else (minus the sludge), aerate with a
              > vigorous stir-up, pitch the yeast (use plenty; I use anything up to
              > 300 gms of granulated bakers, rehydrated). Airlock it, then stand
              > back. :)
              > <snip>
              >
              > I have tried this recipe many times and it works really well. The
              > step
              > about the "Clarify the molasses overnight with the first 20 L hot
              > water", must not be missed. Not to sure which recipe you were
              after,
              > if you wanted a 20L reicpe, you could split it in two washes?
              >
              > Cheers
              > Marc
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
              > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Harry,
              > > A couple of years back you posted a recipe for rum. I had
              it
              > on
              > > my old computer in Ireland but in the move I've lost it. It was
              > good
              > > spoon feed recipe with the explaination of what dunder was, when
              > add
              > > it, the lot, can you point me in the right direction for this
              > recipe
              > > Geoff

            • mavnkaf
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
                <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                > Hi Marc,
                > This is not quite the one but it sure looks a good one, that's
                > a keeper for me anyway. The one I was referring to had dunder added
                > and Harry went to great trouble to explain what dunder was and when
                > top add it and on which stripping run. How to clarify the molasses
                > and reason why this needs to be done. My memory is fading a bit now
                > but will keep searching and reading the message achieves thanks
                > anyway Marc
                > Geoff

                Hi Geoff, sorry about that, I forgot the dunder part. I've kept nealy
                all of the info I have found on rum and dunder, this is a post between
                Trid and Harry, I hope they don't mind me reposting it as I don't want
                to mess up the explanation:)

                Cheers
                Marc

                > You know...in all the discussions that have come and gone, I never
                quite got
                > this one right. The whole time, my brain processed it as adding
                the dunder to
                > subsequent wash (like one would add backset to sour mash), and not
                to the
                > spirit run.

                .........You aren't wrong, Trid. That's also done (or at least it
                was in days of yore). It uses up the stillage while retaining any
                flavinoids. I find it more useful in the spirit still (you'll see
                why later in this post).

                But I would hesitate in using that backset comparison. That implies
                it will readily start up a fermentation. It can, but not like the
                vigorous ferments we are used to. If you added the dunder in one go
                at the start, your ferment wouldn't start at all! Well not without
                a HUGE boost with yeast.

                The old step-ferment process requires that only 10% of the final
                volume of dunder be added AT THE START. Then when fermentation is
                firmly and vigorously established, more molasses, sugar & dunder can
                be added, the TOTAL dunder coming up to as much as 50% of the TOTAL
                volume of the fermentation.

                The way I do it, I don't step-feed. I set it up with 10 litres
                molasses, 20 litres hot water (mix with the molasses & stand
                overnight). Next day, pour this into the fermenter, leaving any
                settled sludge behind. Add 20 litres of dunder, some B vitamin for
                good measure, lemon juice and yeast. I use a LOT of yeast, 300gms
                of dried bakers yeast granules (rehydrated).

                Of course there are many people who don't like to mess with
                molasses. You can always use raw or brown sugar instead (not
                white). It makes an acceptable rum, just not as heavily flavoured
                as molasses rum. If making sugar rum, add lots of yeast. According
                to Wright in Distillation & Denaturing, 1907: pp 167-168 (193-194),
                you can use between 2.7% and 8% of the sugar weight if using
                compressed yeast. In a 50 litre ferment using 10kg sugar, that
                would be 270g to 8oog. Sounds like a lot, but low-yield, fast
                ferments are better for sugar rums.

                > Can you give me a quick reminder of the recommended proportion of
                dunder to
                > low-wines for the spirit run?

                ...........It's all personal preference. But as a starter, try 1/3
                dunder, 1/3 feints & 1/3 low wines. Then adjust the dunder/feints
                portion up/down in future runnings according to your tastes.

                What you're doing is using the dunder in place of water. This has
                the two-fold effect of adding concentrated flavours, and reducing
                the still charge alcohol percentage to a safe and easily processable
                level (said you'd see why later).
                Look at it this way. Feints are ~30% abv, low wines ~50-60% abv,
                dunder ~1-10% abv. At the suggested proportions, your combined
                still charge will be ~40-43% abv. That won't easily burn in the
                event of an accident, and low percentage wash processes more readily
                because there are fewer water/ethanol molecular bonds to break
                (science is weird). It's all good for the end result. :)

              • bigdaddyg851
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2010
                  I COULD USE SOME RUM MAKERS OPIONS .WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING BETTER SUITS A MEDIUM BODY RUM . ALL MOLASSES ,WHITE SUGAR AND MOLASSES ,BROWN SUGAR AND MOLLASSES .
                  THANKS
                  BIGDADDYG
                • Alex Castillo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2010
                    Hi Big

                    All molasses for a good rum. If distilled over dunder a good "grand arome rhum".

                    Alex
                  • Keith Slocum
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 30, 2010
                      Hi Alex

                      It all has to start some where.
                      Keith

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 30, 2010

                        Hi Big,

                        Depending on where you live, it depends on what you can get and in what quantities...  If your lucky like Alex is and live in a molasses capital, then use all molasses (or like Harry does in Austrailia).  However, since i live in the southern USA where good, undadulterated molasses is expensive, I have found that a mix of molasses, brown or white sugars, depending on what is on sale will make a very nice passing rum.  The use of dunder (aged or unaged in the ferementation and/or adding to the final distillation for dilution), will contrubute to the overall taste as well.  There are many tricks here as Harry and Alex will tell ya.

                        JB. aka Waldo.

                        Yes, please dont use caps - means your shouting...  No need to here, we still can hear normally sometimes. ;)

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

                        > I COULD USE SOME RUM MAKERS OPIONS .WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING BETTER SUITS A MEDIUM BODY RUM . ALL MOLASSES ,WHITE SUGAR AND MOLASSES ,BROWN SUGAR AND MOLLASSES .
                        > THANKS
                        > BIGDADDYG

                      • missouri_bootlegger
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 31, 2010

                          > Hi Big,
                          >
                          > Depending on where you live, it depends on what you can get and in what
                          > quantities... If your lucky like Alex is and live in a molasses
                          > capital, then use all molasses (or like Harry does in Austrailia).
                          > However, since i live in the southern USA where good, undadulterated
                          > molasses is expensive, I have found that a mix of molasses, brown or
                          > white sugars, depending on what is on sale will make a very nice passing
                          > rum. The use of dunder (aged or unaged in the ferementation and/or
                          > adding to the final distillation for dilution), will contrubute to the
                          > overall taste as well. There are many tricks here as Harry and Alex
                          > will tell ya.
                          >
                          > JB. aka Waldo.
                          >
                          > Yes, please dont use caps - means your shouting... No need to here, we
                          > still can hear normally sometimes. [;)]
                          >

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I COULD USE SOME RUM MAKERS OPIONS .WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING BETTER
                          > SUITS A MEDIUM BODY RUM . ALL MOLASSES ,WHITE SUGAR AND MOLASSES ,BROWN
                          > SUGAR AND MOLLASSES .
                          > > THANKS
                          > > BIGDADDYG

                          I have just found a great source for molasses in the USA. they are an organic food distributor based in OR they sell to individual coops and deliver all over the US. 5 gal lot for under $50.00 food grade no preservatives, it has lots of sugar and it taste great, I would say #1 blackstrap.
                          I just started a ferment 1 gal molasses 3 gal water. SG was 1.115 so I added another gal of water brought the SG to 1.095 added 1 tbs yeast nuterant, 2 tbs EDV 493 Yeast, PH 5.4, airrated O2 for 20 min, pich @ 78F, it had CO2 from air lock in 30 min. I am using a heat belt to keep ferment @ 80F.
                          I can't keep air lock full due to fast ferment. I started it on the 29th and it has only slowed to a CO2 discharge of every 3 sec on the 31st.
                          I think it will take about 2-3 more days.I am excited about this one I think this is going to make some nice rum. I will post results in a few days.
                          Missouri Bootlegger
                        • tgfoitwoods
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 31, 2010
                            Sounds great!

                            Who and where are these people?

                            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "missouri_bootlegger" <siscoweb@...> wrote:

                            > I have just found a great source for molasses in the USA. they are an organic food distributor based in OR they sell to individual coops and deliver all over the US. 5 gal lot for under $50.00 food grade no preservatives, it has lots of sugar and it taste great, I would say #1 blackstrap.
                            > I just started a ferment 1 gal molasses 3 gal water. SG was 1.115 so I added another gal of water brought the SG to 1.095 added 1 tbs yeast nuterant, 2 tbs EDV 493 Yeast, PH 5.4, airrated O2 for 20 min, pich @ 78F, it had CO2 from air lock in 30 min. I am using a heat belt to keep ferment @ 80F.
                            > I can't keep air lock full due to fast ferment. I started it on the 29th and it has only slowed to a CO2 discharge of every 3 sec on the 31st.
                            > I think it will take about 2-3 more days.I am excited about this one I think this is going to make some nice rum. I will post results in a few days.
                            > Missouri Bootlegger

                          • missouri_bootlegger
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 1, 2011
                              Here is the link to the company.