Re: Yeast for corn whiskey

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...>
      wrote:

      > This is a practical implementation of that dissertation.
      > When I use a fish tank to grow yeast, I use at least three stones
      and
      > a typical pump suited to a ten gallon tank. I start with a very weak
      > molasses, urea, and b complex to make a 5 gallon mixture. I try for
      > gravity of 1.020 which isn't much molasses.
      >
      > Procedure for fish tank yeast propagator.
      > So I start with:
      > 64 fl oz of molasses
      > 1 tbs urea or DAP or your favorite nitrogen source.
      > 2 one a day style vitamins ground fine.
      > 1/4 tsp Epsom salts, I usually find the USP grade which is very
      pure.
      > boil all this together in a gallon of water for 30 minutes.
      >
      > Add enough water to bring the level to half a 10 gallon fish tank.
      > Cover the thing with a support and a thin cloth. The hamster wire
      tops
      > are fine for this.
      >
      > With no alcohol and this small gravity yeast grow like crazy.
      > The next 6 days I add another 16 oz of molasses.
      >
      > The yeast is still going to make copious amounts of CO2. This will
      > make a gas cap on top of the liquid. The air coming in will prevent
      > the alcohol process because there will be no need for the yeast to
      use
      > anaerobic respiration.( converting the sugar to O2, CO2 and ETOH )
      So
      > the yeast are happy and grow really fast. In 7 days there will be
      such
      > a cloud of yeast that you can make all the liquid starter you need.
      > Stop feeding and run for another 2 days to make sure all the sugar
      is
      > eaten. This point is important and is usually missed even in a lot
      of
      > popular books. If you still have sugar, storage becomes a problem.
      >
      > Turn the whole thing off and let it settle for a day or two to make
      > nice sludge at the bottom. It is not necessary to allow it to clear
      > because the yeast is what you are after.
      > Rack off as much liquid as you can without disturbing the sludge.
      You
      > should leave about 2.5 gallons of liquid,
      >
      > Procedure for storing liquid starter.
      > I get my bottles by buying a good import beer without twist off
      caps.
      > Procure 12 count 12 oz. beer bottles and new caps. Boil 12 bottles
      in
      > a large pot for at least 30 minutes. Skip the sterilization
      chemicals
      > used for homebrew. These are not needed. Also boil a funnel and a
      cup
      > for dipping and a large spoon for stirring.
      >
      > Remove the bottles from the bath without touching the mouth of the
      > bottle. Make sure they are empty. A bit of water left will not hurt.
      >
      > Place the caps in some high proof, at least 40%, alcohol to
      sterilize.
      > Wipe all the bottle mouths with alcohol on the inside top and
      outside
      > before filling. A paper towel dipped in clean alcohol works well.
      >
      > Stir the contents of the tank. Ladle the contents into the bottles
      > being neat. If you mess up the top of the bottle, clean with alcohol
      > again. Remove a cap from the alcohol and cap the bottle. Store these
      > in the refrigerator. Do not allow them to freeze as freezing will
      kill
      > a lot of brewing and wine yeasts. Specialized bakers strains can be
      > frozen but we are not using these.
      >
      > Each one of these bottles is a super starter. It contains enough
      yeast
      > to ferment 5 gallons of 1.08 sugar water unaided. They are also
      > prolific yeast because they were propagated with air. I have used a
      > single bottle to ferment 40 gallons of nutrient balanced wash with
      no
      > issues.
      >
      > So for all the preparation it makes it as simple a pop and pitch.

      Sherman,

      One further step with glycerin will allow you to freeze almost any
      yeast you propagate or harvest. See here for one way...
      http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html

      Glycerin buffer prevents the cells from bursting (water expands as
      ice when frozen).

    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2008
        Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.