Re: Total newbie.. so new it hasn't arrived yet

  • rye_junkie
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      > Hey Whriley,
      >
      > After reading the part about:
      > " this stuff smelled incredible... to the point where I thought it
      > smelled like pears.. or some very fruity scent.. "
      >
      > Im suprised Mason didnt tell you about his recipe using Wheat Germ,
      > which i believe he said the same thing - regarding smelling like
      > pears a few postings back. (and speaks very highly of it, which i
      > believe).
      >
      > You might want to ask him or Sherman (Pint O Shine, who first
      > recommended using Wheat Germ) about the recipe. It has great reviews
      > from what i hear.
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      > Jim.

      Sorry about that, I probably had my mind on something else. Here ya go.

      1 12oz jar of wheat germ found in the cereal section of the grocery
      store, usually top shelf. Red label. About 3.00 at wally world
      8 lbs of sugar or 10 lbs dextrose. Dextrose is expensive but I do
      think it makes a smoother product. IMHO. Sugar is cheap so I usually
      use it.
      EC 1118 or klv116 yeast.
      Tablespoon or so of yeast nutrients.

      Boil the wheat germ in a gallon or 2 of water for 30 minutes and then
      let it steep with a lid on it for another hour. Sherman calls for a
      full 90 minute boil. The hour steep works pretty good for me and
      saves energy.
      While the mash is still hot enough to dissolve the sugar, add the
      sugar and stir. Or boil another gallon of water to dissolve the sugar.
      I mix it all together in the pot at this time and add cool water to a
      sg1.080. Make sure its below 100F, pitch your yeast and stand back.
      Do not under any circumstances cap this with an air lock. It will
      probably blow it out. I just lay a towel over it. Violent
      fermentation. When the gravity gets below 1.000 rack and let it
      settle out in a carboy or rack it into the boiler and distill it.
      The wash smells very strong of pears and the double distilled product
      has a very noticeable pear smell.
      This recipe also benefits from sour mashing and is very easy to do.

      Mason