Re: Yeast for corn whiskey

  • daddyman00126
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2008
      Thanks for the info Jim and Sherman, this will help me in the future
      when I want to culture my own yeast. But for now all I want to do is
      keep alive what I got. So I think I will take about 1 1/2 gallons of
      water to about 2 cups of sugar and put it in my wash bucket. That
      should help keep the yeast alive for a couple of days so I can time
      when my mesh will be ready to distill.

      Once again thanks for the help folks.

      The best for last
      BILL1BURP

      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      > Really sounds like a great way Sherman,
      >
      > But i dont have a fish tank anymore (it broke and all the fish
      died -
      > sigh), and right now, just trying to save enought money for a new
      10
      > gallon SS boiler lol. But im definitly going to try this.
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      > Jim.
      >
      > PS. Bill, I hope Sherman's and my answers means a yes to your
      > questions... LOL.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > This is a practical implementation of that dissertation.
      > > When I use a fish tank to grow yeast, I use at least three stones
      > and
      > > a typical pump suited to a ten gallon tank. I start with a very
      weak
      > > molasses, urea, and b complex to make a 5 gallon mixture. I try
      for
      > > gravity of 1.020 which isn't much molasses.
      > >
      > > Procedure for fish tank yeast propagator.
      > > So I start with:
      > > 64 fl oz of molasses
      > > 1 tbs urea or DAP or your favorite nitrogen source.
      > > 2 one a day style vitamins ground fine.
      > > 1/4 tsp Epsom salts, I usually find the USP grade which is very
      > pure.
      > > boil all this together in a gallon of water for 30 minutes.
      > >
      > > Add enough water to bring the level to half a 10 gallon fish tank.
      > > Cover the thing with a support and a thin cloth. The hamster wire
      > tops
      > > are fine for this.
      > >
      > > With no alcohol and this small gravity yeast grow like crazy.
      > > The next 6 days I add another 16 oz of molasses.
      > >
      > > The yeast is still going to make copious amounts of CO2. This will
      > > make a gas cap on top of the liquid. The air coming in will
      prevent
      > > the alcohol process because there will be no need for the yeast
      > use
      > > anaerobic respiration.( converting the sugar to O2, CO2 and
      ETOH )

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2008
        Ahh, Thanks Bill,

        All i gots is a BA (Bullchit Artist), and one of them thar MBA
        thingys (Master Bullchit Artist), but aint got one of them thar big
        fancy thingies - PH.D (Piled Higer n' Deeper) - so i jest tries to
        keep it simple :):). Plus being a lazy SOB (self made of course)
        moonshiner meself...

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
        <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

        > True to the heart. You saved the best for last.
        >
        > Bill1burp
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
        > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:

        Ayuppers Bill,

        "Liquid Media:
        This is a common method of storage for homebrewers and has also been
        referred to as yeast ranching or parallel yeast culturing. The best
        media for this method is wort or wort-containing media. Yeast is
        inoculated into 10 - 20 ml of media and grown until it reaches the
        stationary phase of growth (approximately 3 days) then stored in the
        refrigerator as cold as possible (40 °F). That means don't keep it
        on the door. Stocks should be made in duplicate; one to use for
        brewing, the other as a stock. Some homebrewers prefer to build the
        10 ml culture upto a larger volume and then dispense it into 12 oz.
        bottles. Storage in culture tubes or small jars also works fine. If
        stored properly, these cultures are stable for up to 6 months and
        then must be recultured (preferably from the untouched master
        stock). There are reports that storage in 10% sucrose after growth
        in wort can increase the shelf-life of yeast to as long as 2 years.
        In this case, it seems to be necessary to remove all residual
        nutrients or wort since direct addition of sucrose to the stationary
        yeast leads to continued fermentation even at 40 °F. Other bona-fide
        non-fermentable sugars such as lactose or glycerol may be more
        suitable but have yet to be tested for improving yeast's shelf-life.
        Yeast strains vary in their sensitivity to storage in liquid wort.
        In general, only a small percentage of the cells survive storage.
        Therefore, it may be necessary to store in volumes larger than 10 ml
        especially if longer storage periods are used. Culturing in wort has
        been extensively characterized by the National Collection of Yeast
        Cultures (NCYC). They have cultured yeast for periods of up to 60
        years and find that the mutation rate can be high. Of 600 strains
        studied as many as 50% with specific nutritional markers had lost at
        least some of their specific markers after culturing for 10-25 years
        (that's after 20-50 passages). This was for all types of yeast
        strains including brewing yeasts. 10% of the 300 brewing yeast
        strains tested showed changes in flocculation behavior after 10 years
        or 20 passages. Thus storage in liquid media is feasible, but it is
        not the method of choice for long-term storage since it can undergo
        considerable genetic drift from the original stock. It is not clear
        whether minimizing the number of passages will also reduce the
        overall mutation rate."

        by

        MB Raines-Casselman, Ph.D

        (or you just keep it bubblin' by adding some sugar and water now and
        then like i do - the lazy man's way :):):)

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2008
          wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Stir the contents of the tank. Ladle the contents into the bottles
          > being neat. If you mess up the top of the bottle, clean with alcohol
          > again. Remove a cap from the alcohol and cap the bottle. Store these
          > in the refrigerator. Do not allow them to freeze as freezing will
          kill
          > a lot of brewing and wine yeasts. Specialized bakers strains can be
          > frozen but we are not using these.
          >
          > Each one of these bottles is a super starter. It contains enough
          yeast
          > to ferment 5 gallons of 1.08 sugar water unaided. They are also
          > prolific yeast because they were propagated with air. I have used a
          > single bottle to ferment 40 gallons of nutrient balanced wash with
          no
          > issues.
          >
          > So for all the preparation it makes it as simple a pop and pitch.

          Sherman,

          One further step with glycerin will allow you to freeze almost any
          yeast you propagate or harvest. See here for one way...
          http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html

          Glycerin buffer prevents the cells from bursting (water expands as
          ice when frozen).

        • daddyman00126
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2008
            Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.