Re: Yeast for corn whiskey

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 29, 2008
      Really sounds like a great way Sherman,

      But i dont have a fish tank anymore (it broke and all the fish died -
      sigh), and right now, just trying to save enought money for a new 10
      gallon SS boiler lol. But im definitly going to try this.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      PS. Bill, I hope Sherman's and my answers means a yes to your
      questions... LOL.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...>
      wrote:

      > This is a practical implementation of that dissertation.
      > When I use a fish tank to grow yeast, I use at least three stones
      and
      > a typical pump suited to a ten gallon tank. I start with a very weak
      > molasses, urea, and b complex to make a 5 gallon mixture. I try for
      > gravity of 1.020 which isn't much molasses.
      >
      > Procedure for fish tank yeast propagator.
      > So I start with:
      > 64 fl oz of molasses
      > 1 tbs urea or DAP or your favorite nitrogen source.
      > 2 one a day style vitamins ground fine.
      > 1/4 tsp Epsom salts, I usually find the USP grade which is very
      pure.
      > boil all this together in a gallon of water for 30 minutes.
      >
      > Add enough water to bring the level to half a 10 gallon fish tank.
      > Cover the thing with a support and a thin cloth. The hamster wire
      tops
      > are fine for this.
      >
      > With no alcohol and this small gravity yeast grow like crazy.
      > The next 6 days I add another 16 oz of molasses.
      >
      > The yeast is still going to make copious amounts of CO2. This will
      > make a gas cap on top of the liquid. The air coming in will prevent
      > the alcohol process because there will be no need for the yeast to
      use
      > anaerobic respiration.( converting the sugar to O2, CO2 and ETOH )
      So
      > the yeast are happy and grow really fast. In 7 days there will be
      such
      > a cloud of yeast that you can make all the liquid starter you need.
      > Stop feeding and run for another 2 days to make sure all the sugar
      is
      > eaten. This point is important and is usually missed even in a lot
      of
      > popular books. If you still have sugar, storage becomes a problem.
      >
      > Turn the whole thing off and let it settle for a day or two to make
      > nice sludge at the bottom. It is not necessary to allow it to clear
      > because the yeast is what you are after.
      > Rack off as much liquid as you can without disturbing the sludge.
      You
      > should leave about 2.5 gallons of liquid,

      ____ snip_____
    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1 3:00 AM
        True to the heart. You saved the best for last.

        Bill1burp

        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

        > Ayuppers Bill,
        >
        > "Liquid Media:
        > This is a common method of storage for homebrewers and has also
        been
        > referred to as yeast ranching or parallel yeast culturing. The
        best
        > media for this method is wort or wort-containing media. Yeast is
        > inoculated into 10 - 20 ml of media and grown until it reaches the
        > stationary phase of growth (approximately 3 days) then stored in
        the
        > refrigerator as cold as possible (40 °F). That means don't keep it
        > on the door. Stocks should be made in duplicate; one to use for
        > brewing, the other as a stock. Some homebrewers prefer to build
        the
        > 10 ml culture upto a larger volume and then dispense it into 12 oz.
        > bottles. Storage in culture tubes or small jars also works fine.
        If
> [...]
        > been extensively characterized by the National Collection of Yeast
        > Cultures (NCYC). They have cultured yeast for periods of up to 60
        > years and find that the mutation rate can be high. Of 600 strains
        > studied as many as 50% with specific nutritional markers had lost
        at
        > least some of their specific markers after culturing for 10-25
        years
        > (that's after 20-50 passages). This was for all types of yeast
        > strains including brewing yeasts. 10% of the 300 brewing yeast
        > strains tested showed changes in flocculation behavior after 10
        years
        > or 20 passages. Thus storage in liquid media is feasible, but it
        is
        > not the method of choice for long-term storage since it can undergo
        > considerable genetic drift from the original stock. It is not
        clear
        > whether minimizing the number of passages will also reduce the
        > overall mutation rate."
        >
        > by
        >
        > MB Raines-Casselman, Ph.D
        >
        > (or you just keep it bubblin' by adding some sugar and water now
        and
        > then like i do - the lazy man's way :):):)
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        > Jim.
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
        > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Wow that is a while on 2 packets of yeast Jim. Question for you.
        > > During your runs do you run your wash back to back. Another words
        > > when you charge your still do you put in clean water so your
        yeast
        > > will not die on you. Can it set like that for a few days until
        you
        > > put in your backset and get ready for another mash?
        > >
        > > I may not have the ability to run my wash back to back but I
        really
        > > want to try the sour mash trick. So I was thinking if I needed
        to,
        > > could put in the fresh water in on top of the yeast so it will
        not
        > > die and maybe put in some nutrients to give the yeast something
        > > chew on while it waits for new corn. Then I could put in new corn
        > > flakes and corn meal and sugar and time it so I will be
        distilling
        > on
        > > the weekend.
        > >
        > > The best for last
        > > BILL1BURP
        > >

        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
        > > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I strongly recommend Lavin EC-1118, a very nice champaigne
        yeast,
        > > > that can ferment up to 18% abv (not that you want to for a corn
        > > > whiskey lol). Im currently on my 17th fermentation from 2
        > packets
        > > > pitched last fall, makin' Sourmash Whiskey of course, and have
        no
        > > > complaints... (ive also used some to make sugar washes in

        Prestige.
        > > I'm
        > > > not
        > sour
        > > > mash

        > > brands.
        > give
        > > > them
        > though.
        > > > with

      • daddyman00126
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1 3:12 AM
          Thanks for the info Jim and Sherman, this will help me in the future
          when I want to culture my own yeast. But for now all I want to do is
          keep alive what I got. So I think I will take about 1 1/2 gallons of
          water to about 2 cups of sugar and put it in my wash bucket. That
          should help keep the yeast alive for a couple of days so I can time
          when my mesh will be ready to distill.

          Once again thanks for the help folks.

          The best for last
          BILL1BURP

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1 6:40 AM
            Ahh, Thanks Bill,

            All i gots is a BA (Bullchit Artist), and one of them thar MBA
            thingys (Master Bullchit Artist), but aint got one of them thar big
            fancy thingies - PH.D (Piled Higer n' Deeper) - so i jest tries to
            keep it simple :):). Plus being a lazy SOB (self made of course)
            moonshiner meself...

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1 10:57 AM
              wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > Stir the contents of the tank. Ladle the contents into the bottles
              > being neat. If you mess up the top of the bottle, clean with alcohol
              > again. Remove a cap from the alcohol and cap the bottle. Store these
              > in the refrigerator. Do not allow them to freeze as freezing will
              kill
              > a lot of brewing and wine yeasts. Specialized bakers strains can be
              > frozen but we are not using these.
              >
              > Each one of these bottles is a super starter. It contains enough
              yeast
              > to ferment 5 gallons of 1.08 sugar water unaided. They are also
              > prolific yeast because they were propagated with air. I have used a
              > single bottle to ferment 40 gallons of nutrient balanced wash with
              no
              > issues.
              >
              > So for all the preparation it makes it as simple a pop and pitch.

              Sherman,

              One further step with glycerin will allow you to freeze almost any
              yeast you propagate or harvest. See here for one way...
              http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html

              Glycerin buffer prevents the cells from bursting (water expands as
              ice when frozen).

            • daddyman00126
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1 11:25 AM
                Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.