Total newbie.. so new it hasn't arrived yet

  • whriley
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2008
      I am new... very new... so new the column i ordered has not yet arrived.
      In my research I determined a PDA 1 was my best bet. While I know I
      could make one from directions I found on the web... i feel known tech
      to be a safer alternative.

      I plan to make whiskey vodka and rum.. and only have a few... million
      questions and then more based on the answers I get to the first
      million...

      I stopped into a great micro distillery in MA a few weeks back and
      while speaking to the owner (A GREAT GUY FOR SPENDING SOO MUCH TIME
      WITH ME) he let me smell a whiskey another guy dropped off... this
      stuff smelled incredible... to the point where I thought it smelled
      like pears.. or some very fruity scent.. the oder was so great that I
      had to keep smelling it... and realized... this stuff left out would
      get consumed by a kid thinking it was juice... (until the burn hit em)
      assuming it had a burn.

      I am looking to make whiskey first and also vodka... Ian set me up with
      what I need to get rolling (just waiting for it to arrive) and would
      love to have a recipe or two in hand for a SWEET smelling whiskey... I
      belive it was made from corn...

      any tips advice direction or info you can point me to would be great!

      As far as vodka is concerned I want to make a vodka from maple syrup
      and one from apples and also one from honey.. and allow a bit of the
      flavor to come through... so essentially make it NOT COMPLETELY
      nuetral... any help on how to do this with a great and efficient column
      like the PDA1?

      look forward to all your wit, insight and wisdom...
    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 29, 2008
        I just started a couple of months ago myself. So the first thing I
        would say is this.

        You must crawl before you walk. You must walk before you run. You
        must run before you fly.

        With that said I would consider doing a sugar wash first. Why?
        Because it will give you some personal time with your still and
        column. I have found out that each still has its own personality.
        Learn how she will operate for you.

        I have done 3 sugar washes and am just starting my first sourmash
        recipe (thanks to Jim). This gave me the knowledge of how my still
        will run for me. I didnt waste good money on good products trying to
        figure it out.

        Now that you started to crawl, try a basic whiskey mash. Something
        you do not have to cook. When you get to that point let us know and
        several people here have great recipes available.

        Also if you wish to jump in with both feet look to the left of this
        screen. You will find a LINKS button, go to the second from the
        bottom and you will find a list of recipes that I dont think anyone
        could do in a life time.

        Most of all Read Read Read, The more knowledge you have the safer you
        will be.

        The best for last
        BILL1BURP

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whriley" <try.it@...> wrote:

        > I am new... very new... so new the column i ordered has not yet
        arrived.
        > In my research I determined a PDA 1 was my best bet. While I know I
        > could make one from directions I found on the web... i feel known
        tech
        > to be a safer alternative.
        >
        > I plan to make whiskey vodka and rum.. and only have a few...
        million
        > questions and then more based on the answers I get to the first
        > million...
        >
        > I stopped into a great micro distillery in MA a few weeks back and
        > while speaking to the owner (A GREAT GUY FOR SPENDING SOO MUCH TIME
        > WITH ME) he let me smell a whiskey another guy dropped off... this
        > stuff smelled incredible... to the point where I thought it smelled
        > like pears.. or some very fruity scent.. the oder was so great that
        > had to keep smelling it... and realized... this stuff left out
        would
        > get consumed by a kid thinking it was juice... (until the burn hit
        em)
        > assuming it had a burn.
        >
        > I am looking to make whiskey first and also vodka... Ian set me up
        with
        > what I need to get rolling (just waiting for it to arrive) and
        would
        > love to have a recipe or two in hand for a SWEET smelling
        whiskey... I
        > belive it was made from corn...
        >
        > any tips advice direction or info you can point me to would be
        great!

        > As far as vodka is concerned I want to make a vodka from maple
        syrup
        > and one from apples and also one from honey.. and allow a bit of
        the
        > flavor to come through... so essentially make it NOT COMPLETELY
        > nuetral... any help on how to do this with a great and efficient
        column
        > like the PDA1?
        >
        > look forward to all your wit, insight and wisdom...

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 29, 2008
          I've never used a fancy setup like the PDA-1 (although it looks sweet)
          so I can't tell you too much...but I've gotten some decent rum and
          whiskey out a bare-bones, dirt-simple pot still. Uncle Jesse's Simple
          Sour Mash is a good place to start with whiskey, seach
          homedistiller.org for that recipe, and look around for a ton of other
          good ones.

          The real reason I responded was to get the nake of the
          micro-distillery you went to...I'm in CT and would love to make a day
          trip up to MA to check it out.

          Matt

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whriley" <try.it@...> wrote:

          > I am new... very new... so new the column i ordered has not yet arrived.
          > In my research I determined a PDA 1 was my best bet. While I know I
          > could make one from directions I found on the web... i feel known tech
          > to be a safer alternative.
          >
          > I plan to make whiskey vodka and rum.. and only have a few... million
          > questions and then more based on the answers I get to the first
          > million...
          >
          > I stopped into a great micro distillery in MA a few weeks back and
          > while speaking to the owner (A GREAT GUY FOR SPENDING SOO MUCH TIME
          > WITH ME) he let me smell a whiskey another guy dropped off... this
          > stuff smelled incredible... to the point where I thought it smelled
          > like pears.. or some very fruity scent.. the oder was so great that I
          > had to keep smelling it... and realized... this stuff left out would
          > get consumed by a kid thinking it was juice... (until the burn hit em)
          > assuming it had a burn.
          >
          > I am looking to make whiskey first and also vodka... Ian set me up with
          > what I need to get rolling (just waiting for it to arrive) and would
          > love to have a recipe or two in hand for a SWEET smelling whiskey... I
          > belive it was made from corn...
          >
          > any tips advice direction or info you can point me to would be great!
          >
          > As far as vodka is concerned I want to make a vodka from maple syrup
          > and one from apples and also one from honey.. and allow a bit of the
          > flavor to come through... so essentially make it NOT COMPLETELY
          > nuetral... any help on how to do this with a great and efficient column
          > like the PDA1?
          >
          > look forward to all your wit, insight and wisdom...

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 29, 2008
            I suppose you'll get the instructions for neutral spirits production
            with the still.

            To make flavored spirits, either get Ian Smiley's corn whiskey book or
            start experimenting your self. The basic idea is to either run all
            through with one setting of the still while making cuts based on your
            nose and taste, or imitate the neutral spirits run while leaving a bit
            of heads and tails to the main run.

            I know Ian has been doing some whiskey with PDA-1 so you could ask him
            for advice about the exact procedure and cuts.

            Cheers, Riku

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 29, 2008
              http://www.ryanandwood.com/ This is the distiller I went to. Bob was
              a great resource and full of info. Call or email him and set
              something up. If he has teh time he will likely be very helpful.

              Very nice set up...Another Micro exists on the cape.. actually I
              belive on the vineyard 8 ball or something like that

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 29, 2008
                Hey Whriley,

                After reading the part about:
                " this stuff smelled incredible... to the point where I thought it
                smelled like pears.. or some very fruity scent.. "

                Im suprised Mason didnt tell you about his recipe using Wheat Germ,
                which i believe he said the same thing - regarding smelling like
                pears a few postings back. (and speaks very highly of it, which i
                believe).

                You might want to ask him or Sherman (Pint O Shine, who first
                recommended using Wheat Germ) about the recipe. It has great reviews
                from what i hear.

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whriley" <try.it@...> wrote:

                > I am new... very new... so new the column i ordered has not yet
                arrived.
                > In my research I determined a PDA 1 was my best bet. While I know I
                > could make one from directions I found on the web... i feel known
                tech
                > to be a safer alternative.
                >
                > I plan to make whiskey vodka and rum.. and only have a few...
                million
                > questions and then more based on the answers I get to the first
                > million...
                >
                > I stopped into a great micro distillery in MA a few weeks back and
                > while speaking to the owner (A GREAT GUY FOR SPENDING SOO MUCH TIME
                > WITH ME) he let me smell a whiskey another guy dropped off... this
                > stuff smelled incredible... to the point where I thought it smelled
                > like pears.. or some very fruity scent.. the oder was so great that
                > had to keep smelling it... and realized... this stuff left out
                would
                > get consumed by a kid thinking it was juice... (until the burn hit
                em)
                > assuming it had a burn.
              • rye_junkie
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
                  <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Whriley,
                  >
                  > After reading the part about:
                  > " this stuff smelled incredible... to the point where I thought it
                  > smelled like pears.. or some very fruity scent.. "
                  >
                  > Im suprised Mason didnt tell you about his recipe using Wheat Germ,
                  > which i believe he said the same thing - regarding smelling like
                  > pears a few postings back. (and speaks very highly of it, which i
                  > believe).
                  >
                  > You might want to ask him or Sherman (Pint O Shine, who first
                  > recommended using Wheat Germ) about the recipe. It has great reviews
                  > from what i hear.
                  >
                  > Vino es Veritas,
                  > Jim.

                  Sorry about that, I probably had my mind on something else. Here ya go.

                  1 12oz jar of wheat germ found in the cereal section of the grocery
                  store, usually top shelf. Red label. About 3.00 at wally world
                  8 lbs of sugar or 10 lbs dextrose. Dextrose is expensive but I do
                  think it makes a smoother product. IMHO. Sugar is cheap so I usually
                  use it.
                  EC 1118 or klv116 yeast.
                  Tablespoon or so of yeast nutrients.

                  Boil the wheat germ in a gallon or 2 of water for 30 minutes and then
                  let it steep with a lid on it for another hour. Sherman calls for a
                  full 90 minute boil. The hour steep works pretty good for me and
                  saves energy.
                  While the mash is still hot enough to dissolve the sugar, add the
                  sugar and stir. Or boil another gallon of water to dissolve the sugar.
                  I mix it all together in the pot at this time and add cool water to a
                  sg1.080. Make sure its below 100F, pitch your yeast and stand back.
                  Do not under any circumstances cap this with an air lock. It will
                  probably blow it out. I just lay a towel over it. Violent
                  fermentation. When the gravity gets below 1.000 rack and let it
                  settle out in a carboy or rack it into the boiler and distill it.
                  The wash smells very strong of pears and the double distilled product
                  has a very noticeable pear smell.
                  This recipe also benefits from sour mashing and is very easy to do.

                  Mason