Re: Preservatives

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hey Bill,

      Yes, you are correct. All packaged or canned food usually have some
      type(s) of persevatives in them. However, it is necessary to
      understand the different types of presevatives, and which ones are
      not nice(deadly) to yeast and will inhibit fermentation vs which ones
      that dont affect fermentation.

      There are 2 main types of presevatives used in food products:
      Preservatives may be anti-microbial preservatives, which inhibit the
      growth of bacteria and fungi. The other type are antioxidants such as
      oxygen absorbers, which inhibit the oxidation of food constituents.

      Grain / cereal foods mostly include the antioxidant type of
      presevatives to prevent oxidation. These include: BHA(butylated
      hydroxy toluene) and BHT(butylated hydroxy toulene) or Ascorbic Acid
      (mostly vitamin C - but also an antioxidant). These will not inhibit
      fermentation, but since they are antioxidants, additional aeration of
      the wash is required. (but usually the amounts are so small, its not
      noticable in a large wash / mash).

      Canned, bottled, frozen and fresh juices usually contain the bad type
      of presevatives to yeast. These are the anti-micobial presevatives
      that inhibit the growth of bacteria and FUNGI (remember yeast is a
      single celled plant FUNGUS). They include calcium propionate, sodium
      nitrite and sulphites (sulfur dioxide, sodium bisulfite, potassium
      hydrogen sulfite, etc.) and disodium EDTA. WATCH OUT FOR THEM...

      Also some types of Molassas, include these type of presevatives
      (especially feed grade Blackstrap molassas)...

      They are the MEANIES to yeast and fermentation.... Thats why its so
      important to read the ingredients any product to be used in a
      fermentation.....

      Always try for an "all natural" products when using these.

      Hope this answers your question.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"